Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Underrated part of the first goal is Matthews picking Backes' pocket like a seasoned vet. Well done.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Gretzky was also a really great player deep into the 90's. In 98 he was 1 point off 2nd for scoring when he was 37, his back was shot and he was on a crap team.

I was saying to my boss the other day whilst talking hockey that it's a testament to Wayne's greatness that Wayne's idea of "washed up" is averaging nearly a PPG still (he had 62 in 70, which is .88 a game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If you're a GM and you're not at least inquiring about Ghost and your team needs D help, you ain't doin' your job.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Indeed. I'm no fan of Calgary's coaching but this is my reminder it could be so much worse.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What exactly happened with DiPietro, anyways? He really seemed like he'd be very successful. Was bulking up the only thing?

Although, looking at his numbers in school/U.S. National team, they're not that great. I suppose I just fell for the hype but maybe there's something I'm missing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I liked that they're eyeing him for an off-ice position, seems like both a good PR move and a smart thing, I find players like Clarkson often make good coaches and such. He was never obscenely talented, but always had a strong work ethic and a good attitude.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Are you sure? He could be the next Zdeno Chara you never know until you play him with Karlsson for half a season.

Wasn't Chara really lovely his first couple years until he started making adjustments to his game in Ottawa?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think I scoffed when the concept of the Players' Tribune was announced but I'm glad it exists.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Flames signed Mark Bartkowski to a 2 way deal, I'm hoping it's as insurance policy so they can trade Wideman and call up Andersson or Kylington.

gently caress Dennis Wideman.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Don't hold your breath. Matt Bartkowski is so terrible that you couldn't even remember his name.

I'm aware he stinks but if signing him helps them jettison Wideman it's a good move. That said Wideman's been so atrocious in the limited action I've seen the Flames in this year, I'd be shocked if we got anything other than future considerations.

I'd still take that, though. Between what he did to that ref and how poor his play's been the last 2 seasons, I'm more than ready to see him loving gone. Somebody on the Flames FB page suggested it's a pickup to allow them to protect players they like and unprotect him, that'd be okay too.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 16, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Bartkowski is the worst defenceman I've ever had the pleasure of watching play live and I've been to several ECHL games.

Also, you've seen Luca Sbisa

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Remarkably, Bartkowski was far worse than Sbisa ever was but the one good thing I can say about him was that he wasn't hideously overpaid as well.

I think that's how I'm viewing this as well, Wideman makes 5.25 M, which is considerably more than TJ Brodie, which is a crime.

Flames got a lot of work to do in the offseason. Hopefully one of their young D-men is ready and they can sign a guy.

Also, have you guys seen this https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VJeff posted:

lmao 45 years old.

Forty loving five.

He's literally the greatest non-Gretzky non-Howe player of all time, right?

He's most certainly the best euro ever. I think you need to include Bobby Orr, though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Nobody answered my question about leafs trades :smith:

I asked this earlier and basically anything the leafs have to offer right now would involve them giving up their only good players. They don't have the depth or intriguing guys that they can do without, nor a shitload of AHL prospects.

Sadly my Flames are in a similar position. If you're on the roster I imagine the attitude is either a) costs an arm and a leg or b) nobody wants you

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Suspicious posted:

Henri Richard's 11 championships as a player record is pretty untouchable I think, at least in the NHL.

In the NHL yes, but Bill Russell has 12.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Krime posted:

I wonder how many goals were called back or waived off the year Lemieux got 199. Gotta figure at least 1 scoring play got called back... it burns me to see him at 199.

He also missed 4 games that year, surely he'd have gotten a point in those 4 games. When you're turning Rob Brown into an All-Star, you're REALLY loving good. Lemieux's health problems are sad, I wish he'd at least had enough points to keep himself ahead of Messier.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That really makes the dude at my workplace who thinks Eichel is better than Matthews (he's a Sabres fan) even goofier.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Technically that's just a sign his teammates aren't especially good.

Fair enough, but I said to this guy I'd rather have Matthews than anybody on the Sabres roster, and that Toronto's first line is better than Buffalo's and he acted like I was insane.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Seems like he's slumping this year but was a good puck mover in the past. Hopefully they didn't give up much.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The retention as well as the fact that one pick is conditional makes me smile. Good deal, Brad. Hopefully he produces.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wish Bob McKenzie had Don Cherry's cache with the public. He's such a likable guy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

hifi posted:

he tore his acl last year and he's not the same.

poo poo. Well, he is a UFA after the year...

Kind of annoyed we gave up a pick now. But Calgary has some promising D prospects. Might work out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kinda surprised the Leafs didn't take a flyer on Wiz. They could use the help.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Not gritty enough

I wish I was kidding

Even with the current braintrust? They seem less focused on dumb stuff.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kilza posted:

Oilers lost to Nashville 5-4, where the GWG was offside yet after 7 minutes of reviewing it they got the call wrong and said it was onside:

https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/836008947035308032

Why even bother having the Coach's Challenge if they can't get the loving call right?

Dammit! With Calgary's win today and a tie or loss Flames would have moved into 6th

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Captain Internet posted:

No, Sbisa did have the mumps but his possession stats are so bad he immediately turned it over to the training staff.

:stare:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's just like when Karlsson shredded his achilles and like one guy in the league switched to Kevlar socks, or when Marc Staal nearly went blind and maybe a few more dudes put on visors.
What I'm saying is that Don Cherry probably thinks vaccines are for those floaty Europeans - good Ontariah boys I'll tell you, they'll see those bu-those mumps, and they'll say, HEY! Keep your head up mumps because you'll be getting me! Book it.
No here's a clip of the troops.

I wish I could hug this post.

Jesus Christ, that's gotta be goal of the year.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Once Calgary inevitably loses, assuming they make it at all, I'm rooting for Minnesota.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I want a PK hat trick against the Habs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

I am. But he can't be an occasional cheap shot artist who fancies passing the puck to the other colored jersey on the ice.

At least you didn't think he was still in Detroit like I did

• Locked thread