Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JoelJoel posted:

Can someone explain to me why bishop is apparently being shopped? Probably just a dumb rumor but if true it's baffling. He's having an off year and vasilevskiy is his usual meh 910.

Because they can only protect one goalie and The Russian is the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Vegas is going to take Grubauer right?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Rask has been good as well, actually. His numbers look underwhelming but it's a bit deceiving since, as I mentioned above, the Bruins are doing great at suppressing shots, but they seem to give up a lot of high quality chances too.

Rask has been atrocious for the last several weeks. In his last 10 games he's had a single game with a save % above .910. I don't care how many high quality chances the team is letting up, that's on the goalie.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm not saying he's absolved of his bad performances, but it definitely doesn't help that they leave him hanging out to dry multiple times every game. Then he has to start the next one because there's literally no reliable backup in the system. The goaltending is a mess.

I think going into this season expecting one of Khudobin/McIntyre/Subban to be a 20-25 game backup was actually pretty reasonable.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lost Season posted:

To be fair, the goaltending situation is pretty directly influenced by the terrible state of the defense, which is another problem at the feet of management.

Not to say that the defense is great or anything, but Rask was playing lights out to start the season in front of the same defense.

I don't think there are many long-time coaches (remember when Julien was a Tim Thomas miracle away from getting fired?) who can survive the type of run Boston's goaltending is having right now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wouldn't the employer be the team that they're signed with? Guys sign with the big club even if the're playing with a farm team. I would imagine that's why you don't see too many issues once the initial visa issues are worked out. When they get traded they have a new employer.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

Yeah Hexy is hinting at some manner of behavior problem with Ghost, but sitting 3 straight games can't help but make me wonder if something else is going on.

If he sits him once he must be an idiot, but if he sits him three times maybe he's on to something

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The thing is that even if his work ethic is the problem, benching a guy doesn't actually fix his work ethic. It just makes your team worse.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bewbies posted:

There aren't much things worse for an athlete than to be not playing when you think you should be playing....in hockey this goes for never ever beer leaguers all the way to the NHL. If indiscipline is the issue here, having a game or two to stew about it can be a pretty effective motivator. If the issue is a developmental one however that's a different story.

Sitting out for a week isn't going to fix serious behavioural issues.

Having a season where your totals suck is much more likely to get you working hard in the summer. I have real doubts that this accomplishes anything other than creating a distraction.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The GM wanted to talk to them about how bad their work ethic is, and how they need to start looking to Emelin as a role model.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

I realize I'm opening a can of worms here, but what exactly is the problem with Therrien? Aside from last year (which Price missed most of) his point percentage in his 2nd stint with the Habs hasn't been below .610 for the season. Is there some major malfunction that I'm missing? Sure he seems to play favourites, sideline youngsters and harbour grudges, but what coach doesn't do that? Who would be a better replacement than him?

I feel like he's a decent to good coach that has perhaps had the benefit of coaching the Habs through a positive period in their history, but overall hasn't done anything to actively harm the team in a significant way. I get that Emelin sucks, but Babcock still gives Polak a regular shift and AV can't get enough of Dan Girardi and they're widely regarded as the best there is. Every coach has their big tough crap defencemen they can't stop salivating over.

His weird treatment of Subban was a big knock against him, but now that isn't a problem!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I liked Paul MacLean. He coached a fun style of play. I think the issue was having a garbage team.

Really that's what it comes down to for most teams. You can have a coach who extracts every ounce of win out of a garbage or mediocre team by relying entirely on defense, or you can have a coach who powers forward trying to get them to play in a manner that is fun to watch.

Then you have coaches like Capuano who manage to extract every ounce of loss out of good teams. Or Hitchcock who always coached like his team was nothing but garbage pail grinders.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Adam Oates is firmly in the Capuano mold of "guy who has no business being in the job he's in". Some of the coaches Murray hired are also in that mold. Dave Cameron was one, but my favorite Ottawa example was probably Craig Hartsburg. gently caress he was terrible.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Koopa Kid posted:

Hammond isn't a very good goalie

His numbers at the NHL level are fine. Great if you discount this injury-plagued season.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yikes.

Sort of a similar indictment for Boston's forwards: Bergeron, Marchand, and Pastrnak have combined for 63 goals this year. That single line is 40% of Boston's total goals so far.

and that's with Bergeron shooting just shy of 7%

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Uhhh Tommy "Tom" Wingels isn't just a fourth liner. He's one hard working day away from our first line!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Julien and I hope he does well but by god I'm looking forward to the "fire Julien" calls from HAS a year from now when they realize all NHL coaches preach defensive trap hockey when they have the lead and don't give ice time to exciting young forwards.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like lazar and think there's probably an NHLer somewhere in there, but certainly not a top 6 guy. He needs time in the minors to play minutes and grow into a real man, and not 20 games, more like 200.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spring Break My Heart posted:

In what, the Czech league?

Maybe for Ottawa? He's pretty tall, definitely worth taking a flyer on him being a perfect match for Karlsson. He can be the defensive conscience.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Are you sure? He could be the next Zdeno Chara you never know until you play him with Karlsson for half a season.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He was a first round pick and based on how much he scores he is probably a real character guy who is good in the room so we'd have to pay up to get him.

It's only fair though. Pierre Dorion learned from Bryan Murray and believes in paying fair value for character players.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't Chara really lovely his first couple years until he started making adjustments to his game in Ottawa?

I wouldn't say really lovely, but yes he wasn't great.

There are two big differences between him and every single other monster who gets compared to him though:

1) He played in the early 2000s when you could bearhug a guy and not get called. His inability to score or play with speed was mitigated significantly by the general state of the game.

2) He was a massive exception. Most guys like him end up having nowhere near his level of improvement and flaming out of the league.

Betting on a guy turning out like Chara is a losing bet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of the fat man - Jankowski is having a pretty good first pro season, with 31 in 40 (after a faster start he's slowed down a bit). He's not gonna be viewed as the best player in the 2012 draft in 2022, but he certainly isn't looking like too bad of a pick for where they got him, and the slow entry to the league should at least make him cap friendly as a productive NHLer. That draft was pretty bad for forwards.

It's not a bad strategy to take late bloomers / committed college guys after the "sure thing" top ~10, but it's pretty risky for a GM who can't count on being there four or five years down the road when the picks pay dividends.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

It's his draft +5 season, if he's not contributing meaningfully on a professional roster by now he never will. Even Brendan Gaunce (he of 1 goal in 68 NHL games) had 38pts in 46 AHL games last year.

I'm not sure I buy this. Jankowski is contributing meaningfully on a pro roster right now. He's currently the leading scorer on his AHL team.

The advantage of taking the college guys is that they don't get the stink of failure on them before their first real kick at the can in the NHL. Other guys who were in similar situations: Anders Lee, Chris Kunitz, RJ Umberger, and many others.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Infidel Castro posted:

Man, Nashville's pretty much guaranteed to lose either Arvidsson or Åberg. That loving sucks.

I think Nashville is much more likely to protect Arvidsson and lose one of Neal, Smith, or Wilson, assuming they protect 4 D. Depends on the contract discussions with Arvidsson.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thufir posted:

I think they'll protect Neal and Arvy and leave Wilson and Smith and Aberg and Jarnkrok exposed. At least they only lose one!

Yeah I would do that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't think it hurts it at all. What does a lottery team care if a trade chip can play this season or not? If anything that's a plus for the Avs.

It hurts in that the #1 concern with Maata is the injuries. If he could play out a stretch of not being injured that would help alleviate that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jagr would have been a sure thing hall of famer if he had finished his NHL career fifteen years ago. He was absolutely one of the greats.

Mario was better of course, but longevity means something too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CBJSprague24 posted:

Can Sakic be blamed for the tire fire in Colorado?

Oh hell yes.

I for one am shocked that the ability to play a professional sport at a high level. doesn't translate into the ability to manage a professional sports franchise. It's well know that the best programmers make the best project managers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bub spank posted:

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/james-wisniewskis-russia-switzerland-ahl-saga-offers-lesson-in-the-harsh-realities-of-the-nhl

Kinda surprising he hasn't had any offers in the NHL, given how many teams are hurting for right-shot D. You'd think he'd be an upgrade for a lot of teams on their bottom pairing. I'm guessing he'd come pretty cheap, too, given his KHL time.

I'd love to see him in Ottawa. Wiz was a good player when he wasn't injured. Not someone you want to rely on but for a million bucks you could do significantly worse.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Schultz was on the top PP in practice and took line rushes in the top 6 so sounds like he's playing tomorrow which is good.

On the other hand Letang was practicing on the fourth pairing with Olesky, so the d tomorrow is likely this unless Tang plays:

Dumoulin-Hainsey
Cole-Schultz
Gaunce-Ruhwedel

that third pairing :negative:

I like Ruhwedel but goddamn he should not be in the NHL.

And he's probably better than Gaunce.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Julien probably survives at least a season past Bergevin.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Look Around You posted:

Just sitting here thinking that if Shattenkirk somehow goes today (even though it's unlikely) how hilariously bad Tradecentre will be tomorrow.

If he keeps turning down extensions not sure it will make a difference.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fits posted:

also sens picking up burrows apparently

why. why why why why why

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Ottawa GM going to wake up tomorrow realizing he'd been looking at the 09-10 season stats all day and frantically try to do a take-back.

lol stats don't measure GRIT and HEART

Though to be fair if we keep this idiot coach it's not like Dahlen was going to produce here anyway.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

Congratulations, Greg Pateryn's wife.

Now she gets to live somewhere that isn't Montreal St. John's!

Except if she waited a year they're moving to Laval anyway. Poor choice on her part.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aye Doc posted:

i didn't know which thread this would be funnier in

https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch/status/836670080775680000

This would not be funny in any thread this is not funny. :(

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/PxPOttawa/status/836969579419168769

quick dorion, get on the phone, you need a replacement bruiser D-man

I hope it gets infected with the mumps

The career ending kind

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

More grinders for the grinder coach.

It's not surprising the guy who wanted us to bring in Pyatt likes guys who play exactly like Pyatt (ie fore check and can't finish).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

When you have a player with a great hockey name like Pierre-Edouard Bellemare you have to lock that poo poo up asap.

• Locked thread