Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

henrik samuelsson traded to the oilers for mitch moroz. tucson fans think this makes the ahl team better and i guess samuelsson was a slow skater that got worse after an ankle injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

there's other/personnel issues at play)

yeah, rape

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Speaking of contracts, it's interesting to see the cap fall on it's face compared to what we expected say 2-3 years ago. I wonder if Bergevin was prepared for a 32 year old Subban with a 9MM hit on a 85MM cap, or Poile with a 40 year old Weber with a 8MM hit on a 95MM cap.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Losing ASU sucks but until the coyotes say something there's still all the cities minus glendale, plus shacking up with the suns. And as a minor note, ASU still needs an arena that's not the local hockey rink with some bleachers bolted on.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Schlesische posted:

Let's be real here: the staggering failure of the Coyotes in Glendale combined with their current performance on the ice wouldn't make a city council think "yeah, this plan to pump >$350million into an arena looks like a good idea". Maybe someone will find a way to get it done, but it'd have to be a right person, right place kinda thing.

I still think the NHL would rather play in a refurbished Key Arena than have a team in Quebec.

Glendale was literally the worst possible place for the coyotes to be. It's surrounded by farmland and the only highway by it goes around phoenix. I live in phoenix basically straight east of it and it's a half hour drive one way because glendale wants to be a lovely small town with 25 mph speed limits. The cardinals are only successful there because football has way fewer games that are mostly on a sunday afternoon and the team has been really good recently. There's still people who get season tickets and sell everything except the green bay game they want to go to or whatever, and you see the same thing with coyotes tickets except there's 10x more games and they have to play teams that nobody in phoenix cares about. On top of that glendale got completely fleeced by the coyotes and they're probably going to get stuck with their pyramid in the desert because of their own stupid decisions about escrow and maintenance and whatever else i can't think of off the top of my head.

The ASU deal sounded great because they would end up with an arena and tempe ends up with an arena for concerts and another shopping center that's not a lovely strip mall. I don't really know what ASU is thinking by agreeing and then pulling out but a lot of people were scratching their heads that they didn't take their wad of cash and fix up their basketball arena and also put the ice making equipment in there.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/azc_mclellan/status/827952239377424384

lol, great

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

pronger might have ended up on the coyotes anyways, he's only got 575k real salary

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Gio posted:

i guess it depends on your definition of a bad contract but a 40+ contract w/ a nearly 5 mil cap hit is pretty bad imo.

jagr is at 5.5MM

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I think we're lucky that all the not good teams aren't trying to duplicate the pens/chicago/sixers method of getting good

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Can a team petition the league to leave someone off the Cup?

I think they send the list of names in to start the process

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

grack posted:

Vermette got the 10 game automatic suspension. The Ducks could theoretically appeal but it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Also Don Henderson, the linesman that Wideman decked, hasn't worked since that game and may be forced to retire.

We had this what-if with wideman but they could also increase vermette's suspension, and it might be easier to prove intent when he's not concussed, looking right at the ref, and there was nothing going on around him

e: specifically, 20 games is abuse of an official with intent

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

luke schenn looks good next to OEL and somehow he had a real drat good opportunity last night where he snuck in to the slot and the goalie just got a piece of it. act now supplies are limited

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Slappy Pappy posted:

Does the NHL still do that thing where Shanahan gives us a 30-second infomercial about every suspension they hand out?

https://www.nhl.com/video/nyquist-suspended-six-games/t-277440360/c-49454403

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the pens can do the patrick kane cheat tactic and put maata on the IR until the playoffs

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I think they should put an asterisk next to his records because he was playing before the salary cap era, the mass lockout era, and the butterfly goaltending era

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Seems like he's slumping this year but was a good puck mover in the past. Hopefully they didn't give up much.

he tore his acl last year and he's not the same.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

poo poo. Well, he is a UFA after the year...

Kind of annoyed we gave up a pick now. But Calgary has some promising D prospects. Might work out.

He's got a chance to work out if they guarantee him PP time, it's just that the coyotes have mucked with it all year and he's had to compete with deangelo, chychrun, plus guys like burmistrov when they were trying a 4F look, and 5v5 points-wise he's been on a bad team. I guess the only thing is he better not be the only guy the flames trade for if they are going to be buyers at the deadline.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

deangelo recalled. this team is finally shaping up into what people wanted. the jooris-mcginn-burmistrov line sucks but it's just what's left over because every other line has been hot lately. 3.3 million isn't a whole lot but man that mcginn deal looks like poo poo right now

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

is that tweet a reply? it just seems like she got pissed at fans knocking his effort and that site tried to connect as many of the dots as possible

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

both axes are using above expected metrics so it's a really stupid way of comparing goalies to themselves and then lining them up against the rest of the league. so congrats to holtby and the caps for being better than himself than the rest of the league

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

so with the news that the Lakers are about to get ruined by Magic Johnson for the indeterminate future, I was thinking about former franchise greats who came back to drive their franchise down down down. the obvious one is Linden in Vancouver, I'd say Neely in Boston is on his way, and that's about it for current ones. who else has done this?

gretzky and roy

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

peter holland is the worst player on the coyotes though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

Is burmistrov still bad?

He looks pretty good. I guess jets fans were bitching that he couldn't score and held on to the puck but he's miles better than the last year of ribeiro and he's probably better creating offense than hanzal. Also it helps that we had zero expectations for him

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

It was one or two seasons ago when there was a Jay and Dan bit during every 2nd period break during every hockey game on a Fox sports affiliate. They were very dry and sometimes awkward in a way I don't think many people really got.

Anyway, blogs and twitter ate Sportscenter's lunch and I can't imagine any other sports highlights show succeeding anymore.

I saw like two of them in a three year span on FSAZ. I wonder if the affiliates had to pay for it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I dont really blame the refs in the boston game beyond missing the call but gently caress the NHL for constantly repeating "we want to get it right" and then making the challenge a football. The NFL gets it wrong too but at least they automatically review turnovers and touchdowns so the game can't get too hosed up if you run out of challenges.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Suspicious posted:

Oh boy. A review for every goal? Can't wait.

nfl refs tasked with doing the automatic reviews have to affirm the score before play can continue but i'd be surprised if the average time added was more than 10 seconds per score, and if they radio down to the field and tell the refs they need a real review, then who cares because they needed a challenge to get it right anyways.

the actual process of a nhl review is bad currently but i think that's a separate issue.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Making the blue line into a plane makes way more sense and they don't have to mess around with ice level cameras and can just use the same rafters setup they do for the goal line

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

LumpyGumby posted:

Has anyone been to that moving Centennial celebration thing? They're coming to Colorado in March and I'm wondering if everything will be available both days.

there was one in phoenix i didn't go to, there should be a schedule for stanley cup photo ops

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

burmistrov is hurt too, so the coyotes center depth is something like dvorak/holland/martinook/jooris. they have 11 forwards too right now so i assume this means connauton comes back as a forward

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/836014837285146624
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/836014624243912704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

gryba's hit on eller was 2 games for literally the same play but apparently burmistrov is fine. i'd like the see the nhl acknowledge that a guy shouldn't get sent to the hospital because he didn't have his head up and give him a game suspension but i understand how the game works and i'll be happy if someone does the same to a bruin next game

• Locked thread