Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Why has no team traded peanuts for Halak yet? He's a top-30 goalie in the NHL that's inexplicably playing in the AHL right now, while a ton of teams have goaltending issues. Is it the 3.5mil salary?

I know he didn't have a great year in the NHL, but that might be more of a "Capuano" thing than a "Halak" thing given his performance at the World Cup and so far in the AHL (.926).

bub spank fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Levitate posted:

Dan Blackburn briefly tried playing with two blockers after a nerve injury in his arm/shoulder mean the couldn't use his glove hand properly. Didn't really work out, as expected

e: Kovy's problem was that he played the stereotypical Russian try not to give up the puck ever and always make something out of nothing style that drives NHL coaches crazy. He'd probably fit in better in today's NHL but he still did a lot of turning the puck over in bad spots because he was always trying to stick handle through everyone or make an amazing play when a simple one would have been better. That said, he was talented enough to make it work for his career and yeah it wasn't that he coasted on his talent that was an issue.

Sometimes he turned the puck over in really good spots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3CcEOH6W0A

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Koopa Kid posted:

Small samples all around, but I really can't believe in a goalie with terrible AHL numbers that basically had one good 20 game stretch in the NHL before becoming mediocre at best. Considering that the guy that booted him off the team was also a waiver pickup it's hard to think of him as being above replacement level.

He's got a .936 in ~2400 minutes of ice time over the past 3 seasons, which isn't the biggest sample, but is still worth a team taking a flier on.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Koopa Kid posted:

Where'd you get those numbers from? His career sv% in the NHL is .923, and he's started 55 games which would run out to about 3300 minutes notwithstanding OT or getting pulled. Are you talking ES minutes?

I should've specified that was 5v5 save percentage. From Puckslytics.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Green was 4th on his own team in scoring in both his big years, which is quite a bit different than being 4th in the league, 10 points clear of #2 on your team and in striking distance of #1. Part of that was he missed a quarter of the season in his 30 goal year, but then that is a legitimate strike against you. Green didn't actually deserve to win in either year and he never had anything close to what Burns is doing this season.

Burns definitely deserves the Norris this year, but it's interesting to see the unanimous hype for Burns given the intense debate over the award last year. On the same date last year, Karlsson had 62 points in 56 games (3rd in NHL scoring), led his team in scoring by 17 points, and led the next-highest scorer on defense (Burns) by 16 points. This year, Burns has 59 points in 57 games (4th in NHL scoring), is leading his team in scoring by 11 points, and leads the next-highest scorer on defense (Karlsson) by 14 points. Aside from the goals and overall team strength, not all that much difference - but the Norris front runner all last season was Doughty, whereas there hasn't been much talk of anyone but Burns winning it this year.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 13, 2017

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Over the weekend Ottawa lost Hoffman, Stone, and Ryan. The only top 6 forwards left are Turris, Brassard, and Smith. Dzingel can step up, but otherwise Ottawa's pretty much screwed if those guys are out long term. Trading away or losing every tweener prospect over the last year sure isn't looking good right now.

Also, suspend Trouba.

e: lol Wingels was also potentially injured. What a game.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 20, 2017

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Not to rub salt in the gaping wound, but I'm not sure Zack Smith exactly qualifies as a top-6 forward. Dude had 25 goals last year, sure, but he was also rocking a shooting percentage a full 10% higher than his career average, and he's riding a high-ish one this season as well. Sure he's producing, but he's likely to come crashing down offensively sooner rather than later.

I was referring to the forwards actually playing in Ottawa's top 6. He's got 29 points in 55 games this year though, which is, to his credit, second line production in today's NHL. He's definitely benefiting from better (and likely unsustainable) averages, but he's also looking noticeably better as a winger (which he's been the past 2 years) than he ever did as a centre.

FBS posted:

What's the deal with Pageau anyway? He had that great playoff series against the Habs a few years back but he never seemed to make an impact after that

He had 43 points (19 goals) last year playing on the 3rd line. He's having a down year this year with 20 points in 57 games, but he's still a solid 3rd liner.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 20, 2017

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/james-wisniewskis-russia-switzerland-ahl-saga-offers-lesson-in-the-harsh-realities-of-the-nhl

quote:

In 2013-14, Wisniewski scored 51 points for the Columbus Blue Jackets. The following year, he had eight goals and 34 points in 69 games. But after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament on opening night in 2015-16, an injury that forced him to miss the rest of the season, the Carolina Hurricanes bought out the remainder of Wisniewski’s contract.

Out of options, Wisniewski signed a contract with Admiral Vladivostok in the KHL, primarily to keep his skills sharp and show general managers he wasn’t just sitting around and doing nothing. He expected to be there about a month; he had an out clause for when — not if — an NHL team came calling.

One month turned into two, then three. No one called. At times, he felt like no one even knew he was still playing. Vladivostok, a port city on the southeastern tip of Russia, wasn’t exactly Siberia, but it might as well have been when you consider how cut off he was from the rest of the country.

“I was practically in China,” said Wisniewski, who had a goal and four points in 16 KHL games. “It was a 45-minute flight to Tokyo and an hour flight to Seoul, South Korea. I’ve never seen travel like that. Our flights to Moscow were 10 hours and then we’d have to switch planes and take a two-hour flight to Minsk, Belarus. We had a 17-hour travel day one day.

If the travel was bad, the compensation was even worse. Three months passed before Wisniewski saw his first paycheque. He’s still owed two-thirds of his salary.

“That’s almost how every team is there,” he said. “The big clubs are pretty good, like SKA (Saint Petersburg) or CSKA (Moscow). They pay their guys on time. But on time would be a week or two late.”

With no money coming in, Wisniewski left the KHL to play in Switzerland for HC Lugano in the Spengler Cup. The team lost to Canada in the final and Wisniewski was named to the tournament’s all-star team. But it didn’t matter. Two more months passed before he received an offer.

It wasn’t the NHL, but rather a minor-league deal with the St. Louis Blues’ AHL affiliate in Chicago.

“I was hoping NHL teams would be like, ‘Oh, he’s playing games.’ But I came to find out that when you’re gone out of North America, you’re kind of out of sight, out of mind,” said Wisniewski. “That’s why I really wanted to come back. All of a sudden to be out of the NHL is a shock. I didn’t think it was going to go down like that.”

In three games with the Wolves, Wisniewski has two goals and an assist ...

Kinda surprising he hasn't had any offers in the NHL, given how many teams are hurting for right-shot D. You'd think he'd be an upgrade for a lot of teams on their bottom pairing. I'm guessing he'd come pretty cheap, too, given his KHL time.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Pierre Dorion has made trades that will require the Sens to protect both Dion Phaneuf and Alex Burrows in the expansion draft. Goodbye Marc Methot I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Aye Doc posted:

no of course not, that would be silly

it has an NMC.

I shouldn't take things I read on twitter at face value. I don't think anyone knows what kind of no-trade protection is included, but I haven't seen anyone reputable say NMC. If there isn't no-trade protection, it actually solves a looming expansion draft issue for the Sens (who didn't have enough eligible forwards to protect their top players) - though that problem could have been solved by just re-signing Pyatt.

Aye Doc posted:

holy cow why would you not do that deal for drouin

Drouin wasn't as highly regarded at the time as he is now. And Ottawa's pick at the time was in the lottery. Giving up White along with a potentially-high lottery pick would have been a really risky trade.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 27, 2017

• Locked thread