Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
They are all minted in a factory in batches, that's why :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

This is called politics.

pol·i·tics
ˈpäləˌtiks
noun

The activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power.

It just happens to be CYBER-enabled these days.

Edit: The extremely reflexive sort of debate you're referring to (regardless of medium) has echos of the political climate just prior to the American Civil War http://cwnc.omeka.chass.ncsu.edu/exhibits/show/benjamin-hedrick/polticalclimate

Father O'Blivion fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 4, 2017

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

BrandorKP posted:

Right the feminism thread and the negrotown seemed to have been gone after.

A great way to attract trolls on somethingawful slash the internet in general is to create a space where they arent allowed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

A great way to attract trolls on somethingawful slash the internet in general is to create a space where they arent allowed.

As someone who has pissed people off in past here, enough to find my posts cross posted elsewhere around the Internet, on topics people get really pissed about (eg. religion), it seemed severe.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BrandorKP posted:

Fine, I'll be specific it really seemed like Tiny Brontosaurus was being gone after in an organized way.

LMAO you don't need to pay me to call TB an idiot

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

BrandorKP posted:

As someone who has pissed people off in past here, enough to find my posts cross posted elsewhere around the Internet, on topics people get really pissed about (eg. religion), it seemed severe.

i would be proud to have pissed off some posting superstar enough for them to like write a blog post over it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BrandorKP posted:

Fine, I'll be specific it really seemed like Tiny Brontosaurus was being gone after in an organized way.

yeah tb is super chill and not at all abrasive, it's a real puzzler

Vv oh for sure apart from that lol

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 5, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

except when calling everyone in sight literal kkklansmen after a single poster disagrees on the definition of racism or something :shrug:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

BrandorKP posted:

I've been wondering if specific people in these forums have been targeted by organized trolls. There has been some spectacular bullshit that's been coming off as targeted to me. Anyone else noticing it.

Yes. I have noticed this as well. I think I am being watched. There was a man following me in the super market. The mailman seems around a little too often. Someone rearranged my shirts in my drawer.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

The Butcher posted:

Yes. I have noticed this as well. I think I am being watched. There was a man following me in the super market. The mailman seems around a little too often. Someone rearranged my shirts in my drawer.

** is later diagnosed with schizophrenia or a brain tumor, 99.9% of the time

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

The Butcher posted:

Next you'll be telling us about the insidious milkman conspiracy.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

The Butcher posted:

This is ridiculous bullshit that should be ignored. With the information that, yes, such organised trolling efforts do exist and have been effective, then immediately writing off potential concerns about it as paranoia is just stupidity.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
My opinions have been swayed by the powerful and compelling arguments of the adult with a pony avatar.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The concept of organized trolling is ridiculous. It's basically a self-fulfilling prophecy. People keep believing it because trolling personally affects their social media bubble. By painting them as an organized resistance, you validate your own bubble. By becoming a secret agent puppet master like them, you created the force you think was against you in the first place.

It's utterly absurd, yet brilliantly infectious, as the entire concept turns into drama: A guessing game of who manipulated who, complete with winners and losers. It allows goons like owlofcreamcheese to feel like they fought the good fight against a great evil, which in reality consisted of maybe a couple dozen people at most, and because he felt successful (MRAs still exist and there are more of them today), has a story he can tell years later like a ww2 vet.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

AgentF posted:

This is ridiculous bullshit that should be ignored. With the information that, yes, such organised trolling efforts do exist and have been effective, then immediately writing off potential concerns about it as paranoia is just stupidity.

but statistically speaking you have merely encountered random terrible people on the internet, ie most people on the internet

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Father O'Blivion posted:

This is called politics.

pol·i·tics
ˈpäləˌtiks
noun

The activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power.

It just happens to be CYBER-enabled these days.

Edit: The extremely reflexive sort of debate you're referring to (regardless of medium) has echos of the political climate just prior to the American Civil War http://cwnc.omeka.chass.ncsu.edu/exhibits/show/benjamin-hedrick/polticalclimate

I would say that seizing upon a valid concern from the election, fake news, and turning it into blanket accusation of our entire news media is not only outside the political norm, but it is inherently dangerous as the POTUS tries to steer people away from relative truth and into 24 hour-a-day Trump propaganda.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

SA isn't important enough for well-organized trolling attempts.

The last attempted forum invasion ended with the invaders doxxing a dog and then shutting down their own forum out of fear.

SA is actually the perfect platform for off site attacks.

E: the only reason we don't do it is because Lowtax says we aren't allowed.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 6, 2017

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

SA is actually the perfect platform for off site attacks.

E: the only reason we don't do it is because Lowtax says we aren't allowed.

It still happens though. Weirdos are still harassing Doobie on Facebook, and we have a whole subforum devoted to being creepy about Star Citizen.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I mean organized political ops like the kind of thing that /pol ircs get up to

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's utterly absurd, yet brilliantly infectious, as the entire concept turns into drama: A guessing game of who manipulated who, complete with winners and losers. It allows goons like owlofcreamcheese to feel like they fought the good fight against a great evil, which in reality consisted of maybe a couple dozen people at most, and because he felt successful (MRAs still exist and there are more of them today), has a story he can tell years later like a ww2 vet.

There is also an anti-abortion protest that happens on a sidewalk around here and they are clearly instructed that they can't block sidewalks and make a big showy effort to show how much not blocking the sidewalk they are. And you can use that to walk in a way that they keep having to move over they end up having to stand in a puddle and I always make an effort to make them stand in that puddle.

I don't do that because I expect that to eventually defeat the 'pro-life' movement if I just make their shoes get wet enough times.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

The concept of organized trolling is ridiculous. It's basically a self-fulfilling prophecy. People keep believing it because trolling personally affects their social media bubble. By painting them as an organized resistance, you validate your own bubble. By becoming a secret agent puppet master like them, you created the force you think was against you in the first place.

In Holland it was revealed today that a small party , mostly representing the interests of Turkish immigrants, although most people believe it's actually a proxy for the Turkish government to wield influence over its diaspora, used troll accounts to influence media discussions. Like, with leaked chatlogs and everything where they organize it and talk about targeting specific websites.

So it does occur, it's just hard to say on what scale and by which parties.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
Did anyone watch Homeland last night? Season 6, Episode 9. They had a scene, where a conservative radio host owns some mysterious company that is hiring tech people on a massive scale. Max, one of the 'good guys' gets hired to see what's going on.

Essentially in the basement, they have hundreds of young people around computers. They ask Max to fix their code because, "22,000 sock puppets just went offline," and he proceeds to fix it. They tell him they are on Facebook, 4chan, 8chan, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. When he finally gets it fixed, it comes back online and the guy says "Ok people your talking points are in front of you. Get to work. Get ANGRY!"

They explain these are accounts they've created through spoofed IP's and have been maintaining and regularly posting so they appear like regular people. Thousands of them.

I'm not saying this is happening, but it's exactly what I meant by my original post. It wouldn't be very hard at all to get something like this going, using people who already are inclined to a certain viewpoint. Imagine how much narrative online through social media you could control.

Again, not claiming this is happening. Just that it's not a stretch at all to think it could be.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MarksMan posted:

Did anyone watch Homeland last night? Season 6, Episode 9. They had a scene, where a conservative radio host owns some mysterious company that is hiring tech people on a massive scale. Max, one of the 'good guys' gets hired to see what's going on.

Essentially in the basement, they have hundreds of young people around computers. They ask Max to fix their code because, "22,000 sock puppets just went offline," and he proceeds to fix it. They tell him they are on Facebook, 4chan, 8chan, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. When he finally gets it fixed, it comes back online and the guy says "Ok people your talking points are in front of you. Get to work. Get ANGRY!"

They explain these are accounts they've created through spoofed IP's and have been maintaining and regularly posting so they appear like regular people. Thousands of them.

I'm not saying this is happening, but it's exactly what I meant by my original post. It wouldn't be very hard at all to get something like this going, using people who already are inclined to a certain viewpoint. Imagine how much narrative online through social media you could control.

Again, not claiming this is happening. Just that it's not a stretch at all to think it could be.

Why bother? There's tons of real people who are willing to do all that for free.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

Why bother? There's tons of real people who are willing to do all that for free.

it's a mix of both. there are absolutely paid armies of sockpuppets but the much larger, louder, and incoherent group are people who willingly repeat media talking points out of the compulsion to express their opinion (which isn't really their opinion)

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

boner confessor posted:

it's a mix of both. there are absolutely paid armies of sockpuppets but the much larger, louder, and incoherent group are people who willingly repeat media talking points out of the compulsion to express their opinion (which isn't really their opinion)

There was that article about Russia having armies of trolls who push various pro-Russia/anti-America viewpoints on social media, I distinctly remember the phrase "I'm farting and scared Obama is a bad president" in there somewhere. So it's real, that's just the Law and Order'd version of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aren't we all, in our heart of hearts, farting and scared?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

*farts* :ohdear:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

OneEightHundred posted:

You need to get out of the bubble if you think that it's all a paid troll army. Did you see the latest Republican primary? There are a LOT of people that buy into this stuff.

The reality is that right-wing Internet communities have become almost entirely defensive and driven by counter-narrative because they lack a narrative of their own other than "I'm not a bad person." If you want proof, you don't need to look much farther than how cobbled together and narrowly relevant the "free speech" defense to Milo's troll tour has been, but there are plenty of examples.

I think it would be great if people counter-trolled them, but then you have to adopt their tactics, and that means going after their credibility instead of their moral deficiency, and also understanding what they think to the point that you can throw things at them that they haven't formulated a defense to.

What are the large right-wing communities these days? r/TheDonald and Stormfront? some sections of 4-chan?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

MarksMan posted:

Wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

Although I doubt it's that many people and that few sockpuppets. You don't need a person to sit there. You just need to program the bot to react in a set way.

For example Up to 48 million Twitter accounts are bots, study says

That's 15% of Twitter's monthly active users.

and then there's this: 19 percent of election-related tweets during the study's period came from bot accounts.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Third Way Democrats are professional concern trolls like fishmech. They have no interest in actual government - they revel in interference and attention.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

El Mero Mero posted:

What are the large right-wing communities these days? r/TheDonald and Stormfront? some sections of 4-chan?

Facebook.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

#notinmyfriendlist

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
It absolutely happens, both professionally and, more often, for free by people who share the views but organize and share talking points. And for the record, TB is kinda blatantly targeted by people like this, who have shown up to this thread quite fast.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

blowfish posted:

Next you'll be telling us about the insidious milkman conspiracy.
TBH if you see a milkman in tyool 2017 he's probably an undercover cop or an alien because milkman haven't been a thing for like 50 years.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

A lovely Reporter posted:

It absolutely happens, both professionally and, more often, for free by people who share the views but organize and share talking points. And for the record, TB is kinda blatantly targeted by people like this, who have shown up to this thread quite fast.

:tinfoil:

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

A lovely Reporter posted:

Not to be all :tinfoil: too, it seems like it would be incredibly effective and relatively cheap for most government to employ online trolls/supporters, especially with the use of bots.

If people are paid to post politically slanted things online, single people could easily post hundreds or thousands of posts every day.

We spent over a trillion dollars on one lovely fighter plane program, governments have shitloads of money to mess around with.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
SA has like an entire constellation of offsite filled with banned people of one political persuasion or another, including one that was alt-right before alt right was really a thing. Its not insane to think they'd be going after a poster here they disliked, although I don't know that persons specifics, so maybe they are just abrasive.

Its kinda weird to see people dismissing this as tinfoil crazytalk. One of the things this election showed was the effectiveness of these tactics.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

BrandorKP posted:

Nobody, but anyone who has been here for years knows the posters involved and Eripsa's eccentricities.

The TB stuff seem to be coming from outside, at least outside of D&D.

I honestly think Eripsa's one of the brightest posters on this board.

And sockpuppetry is /definitely/ a thing.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Donald J Trump is not a legitimate President. He was born in a Jamaican hospital so he is not a natural born citizen. He real name is Ivan Sokolov and his parents were KGB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Uglycat posted:

I honestly think Eripsa's one of the brightest posters on this board.

:eng99: All your opinions are immediately invalid.

• Locked thread