Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

MarksMan posted:

Did anyone watch Homeland last night? Season 6, Episode 9. They had a scene, where a conservative radio host owns some mysterious company that is hiring tech people on a massive scale. Max, one of the 'good guys' gets hired to see what's going on.

Essentially in the basement, they have hundreds of young people around computers. They ask Max to fix their code because, "22,000 sock puppets just went offline," and he proceeds to fix it. They tell him they are on Facebook, 4chan, 8chan, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. When he finally gets it fixed, it comes back online and the guy says "Ok people your talking points are in front of you. Get to work. Get ANGRY!"

They explain these are accounts they've created through spoofed IP's and have been maintaining and regularly posting so they appear like regular people. Thousands of them.

I'm not saying this is happening, but it's exactly what I meant by my original post. It wouldn't be very hard at all to get something like this going, using people who already are inclined to a certain viewpoint. Imagine how much narrative online through social media you could control.

Again, not claiming this is happening. Just that it's not a stretch at all to think it could be.

Wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

Although I doubt it's that many people and that few sockpuppets. You don't need a person to sit there. You just need to program the bot to react in a set way.

For example Up to 48 million Twitter accounts are bots, study says

That's 15% of Twitter's monthly active users.

and then there's this: 19 percent of election-related tweets during the study's period came from bot accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread