Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

MarksMan posted:

Ahh yes I remember those days. When I first signed up here, registration was free and DPPH and nmp3 were the draws. Man those two forums were f'ing dank. But I recall the "ops" to attack other sites or start crazy rumors, etc.

That's why I've always looked at Reddit and 4chan as redheaded step children of SA, which since both were founded a few years after SA, in a way they are. Except the step children became bigger than the stepfather and more idiots populate them and know about them. I feel like the :10bux: has kept a fair number of the riff raff out.

A huge portion of "internet culture" started here it's kind of weird. Memes (and the drat impact font), invasions. 4chan was founded by a 15 year old goon, etc. Good moderation has made a massive difference. SA couldn't easily have gone down a dark path.

It used to be you'd make a fake link and show people goatse.
Then it became a Rick Astley video and I was like "wow the internet is way tamer than it used to be"
NOPE FULL WHITE NATIONALISM.
(and seriously, Russia has contributed to this in a serious way. They've trolled in favor of nationalists all over the world for a while now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread