Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
There has been like 5 actual trolls in the history of the universe and then a lot of people on the internet that actually think the things they say but say "I'm just a troll" to explain to themselves why they are attacking the people they actually legitimately are attacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

SA isn't important enough for well-organized trolling attempts.

SA forums are mentioned in a ton of articles about benghazi though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MarksMan posted:

This is what I was getting at. I was not/am not sure that it is necessarily being 'directed' or 'organized' or if it is just a bunch of rabid, hardcore alt-right'ers who all just kind of on their own (or going off what they see someone else doing) decided to take the criticisms and then just immediately throw it back, make a simple to understand meme for the simple followers of Trump (for the most part) and then post it in places where they know people already inclined to believe that way would latch on to it and spread it. But it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to believe that it's *possible* that high-level Trump campaign members or even just a hardcore PAC or SuperPAC has it's members kind of 'organizing' and 'guiding' it all.

Like 15 years ago I used to troll some men's rights forum with my friends that had been harassing people at the college I was at. We really did team up and do all the sort of fake posting and false flag stuff and having a bunch of fake accounts and concern trolling and making disingenuous accounts and whatever. It's the sort of stuff that sounds like deep conspiracy but honestly really isn't when you are talking about posting on the internet.

Like it was all really really easy to do and really really easy to think of to do. It didn't take any sort of advanced training to think of things and have them say "man, they'd get so pissed off if we X" then doing X. Like in the end we ended up doing some big convoluted plan to get them to vote to close registration on their forum to new members which involve making a bunch of bad fake new members but also making like a bunch of deep cover accounts that concern trolled their way to suggesting the only solution was closing registration. And people always did seem super crazy to suggest that was what was happening but it was 100% what was happening and they 100% ended up closing the forum to new members so it stopped being able to grow anymore.

Stuff can be organized and planned without it being a super big deal. it kinda just writes itself organically and none of it is super hard to think of or implement if it's against a group you know how to push the buttons of.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

There are people that actually think a thing and put on theatrics to bug people they are against. The idea of the ideologically pure "troll" that is totally divorced from the stuff they say is basically nonexistent. There is people that will exaggerate their positions to push someone's buttons but there really isn't people that are totally separate from the things they are saying.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's utterly absurd, yet brilliantly infectious, as the entire concept turns into drama: A guessing game of who manipulated who, complete with winners and losers. It allows goons like owlofcreamcheese to feel like they fought the good fight against a great evil, which in reality consisted of maybe a couple dozen people at most, and because he felt successful (MRAs still exist and there are more of them today), has a story he can tell years later like a ww2 vet.

There is also an anti-abortion protest that happens on a sidewalk around here and they are clearly instructed that they can't block sidewalks and make a big showy effort to show how much not blocking the sidewalk they are. And you can use that to walk in a way that they keep having to move over they end up having to stand in a puddle and I always make an effort to make them stand in that puddle.

I don't do that because I expect that to eventually defeat the 'pro-life' movement if I just make their shoes get wet enough times.

• Locked thread