Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I've been wondering if specific people in these forums have been targeted by organized trolls. There has been some spectacular bullshit that's been coming off as targeted to me. Anyone else noticing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

jBrereton posted:

Consult your doctor

Fine, I'll be specific it really seemed like Tiny Brontosaurus was being gone after in an organized way.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Main Paineframe posted:

Who do you think is paying us to make fun of Eripsa for fifty straight pages

Nobody, but anyone who has been here for years knows the posters involved and Eripsa's eccentricities.

The TB stuff seem to be coming from outside, at least outside of D&D.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

BarbarianElephant posted:

A good way to get some "funny" red text next to your name is to post in the feminism thread and TB is just the easiest target there. I posted endless crap in other threads to no particular notice but engaging in the feminism thread got me this lovely red text. I'm not the only one. All of them careful to mention it was got in the feminism thread.

Right the feminism thread and the negrotown seemed to have been gone after.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

A great way to attract trolls on somethingawful slash the internet in general is to create a space where they arent allowed.

As someone who has pissed people off in past here, enough to find my posts cross posted elsewhere around the Internet, on topics people get really pissed about (eg. religion), it seemed severe.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Uglycat posted:

I honestly think Eripsa's one of the brightest posters on this board.

And sockpuppetry is /definitely/ a thing.

As someone who has been surrounded by the gifted his entire life. I'm pretty sure Eripsa is. But most who test more than a couple standard deviations above the mean are ... off. The best advice my parents were given was "he will be interested in what he is interested in and making him care about anything else will be near impossible"

What I've found personally is that surrounding myself with people who will tell me when I'm full of poo poo is vital.

Regarding the sock puppetry, it hit in conjunction with the renaming thread, Hillary toxxes, and re-regs. I've had a hard time keeping track of who is who and already got lovely at someone who didn't deserve it, as I was mixing posters up.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

wateroverfire posted:

ERIPSA is really smart in a particular way, IMO.

For anyone who wants to get the gifted/talented thing look at the Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Childern series. The author went to a school in Sarasota County called Pineview School for the Gifted for a while. Think of Eripsa as a peculiar.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Deified Data posted:

Can you really discern an organized conspiracy against a poster that has given the forum so many legit reasons to dislike them?

After the election we had an influx of new faces. Some of them tremendous shits heads. I couldn't even keep track of who was who. Personally I only blew up at one (well if I'm honest two) person unnecessarily, because I confused them with someone else (who truly deserved it). There was an awful lot of unbelievable bullshit in the feminism thread and the negrotown thread. Some of it was overt and vile. Some of it was subtle and poisonous. Not all of it was directed her way. A couple of other posters seemed to be targeted too. It was not contained to those threads ( same poo poo heads too).

More recently many of these posters, are being seen as and called out as poo poo heads widely. I'm not sure if they are organized.

People who are angry give a poo poo. I'd be pretty goddamn angry if even half of that had been pointed at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

I haven't poked my head into Gbs for years, I should probably go see how bad is gotten.

• Locked thread