Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

A lovely Reporter posted:

It absolutely happens, both professionally and, more often, for free by people who share the views but organize and share talking points. And for the record, TB is kinda blatantly targeted by people like this, who have shown up to this thread quite fast.

Not to be all :tinfoil: too, it seems like it would be incredibly effective and relatively cheap for most government to employ online trolls/supporters, especially with the use of bots.

If people are paid to post politically slanted things online, single people could easily post hundreds or thousands of posts every day.

We spent over a trillion dollars on one lovely fighter plane program, governments have shitloads of money to mess around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Spite posted:

A huge portion of "internet culture" started here it's kind of weird. Memes (and the drat impact font), invasions. 4chan was founded by a 15 year old goon, etc. Good moderation has made a massive difference. SA couldn't easily have gone down a dark path.

It used to be you'd make a fake link and show people goatse.
Then it became a Rick Astley video and I was like "wow the internet is way tamer than it used to be"
NOPE FULL WHITE NATIONALISM.
(and seriously, Russia has contributed to this in a serious way. They've trolled in favor of nationalists all over the world for a while now)

SA's moderation combined with :10bux: has done a solid job of keeping the forums from devolving into hateful cesspools.

It also makes us a terrible target for organized government trolling, on top of the fact that we aren't near as wide reaching as Facebook, Twitter, etc. Why waste money registering here when there's so many free options?

And speaking of Russia, I wonder if any of the FBI/whatever IC acronym investigation will get into that. They are explicitly looking into how Russia was trying to influence our election, and I wonder just how many online political zealots are Russian trolls.

Terrible English writing skills, complete lack of US historical/cultural knowledge, and conspiracy level idiocy would not be a red flag for any MAGA poster.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

twodot posted:

Even if true, $10 can't possibly be the thing stopping a government from taking over SA. It claims to have < 200k users. Any organization could trivially double the user base for < 2 million USD, that's noise to any serious campaign. (The reason no one spends 2 million dollars to take over SA is because taking over SA doesn't accomplish anything, not that 2 million dollars is some crazy unheard amount of money)

Well I don't think there's been a concerted effort by a government to take over the narrative on SA. I think the modding, that you have to pay to register, and that our community isn't that big compared to most social media platforms makes it a highly inefficient target.

2 Million dollars could buy you literally millions of twitter followers, hundreds of thousands of fake Facebook accounts, etc. It already appears as though about half of Trump's twitter following is fake or bots.

Taking that same money to SA could probably only pay to register a few tens of thousands of accounts that are likely to be probated/banned/permabanned rather quickly and would be stuck on an insular community nerds. We would be a stupid waste of money for propaganda/troll campaigns.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

I've known about the Russian bots on twitter but has anyone found out how badly Facebook was hit?

Facebook is the source of news for 44% of American adults now. They just read whatever is linked to them by friends or in the algorithm feed. "Fake news" that was actually fake was driven up by bots and spread like wildfire.

My big fear is that they have infected too many young people who thought, and still think, that MSM is all "fake" and are caught up permanently in the propaganda echo chamber. It seemed like the youngest generation was lining up to be the most progressive, I just hope this doesn't continue to fester and break the brains of millions in a new generation.

• Locked thread