Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

https://twitter.com/ilissilia/status/1657048457071280129?s=46&t=NfFUqnrTGI_gdViBS3OzCg

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So the troop that did that murder on the subway looks like he getting charged with second degree manslaughter.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

KomradeX posted:

So the troop that did that murder on the subway looks like he getting charged with second degree manslaughter.

Infuriating

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I hate it too, but I think that’s about as far out as the prosecutor will stick their neck.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Yeah my (admittedly layman's) understanding is Manslaughter 2 is the closest slam dunk. Everything else requires proving intent to seriously injure or kill which has much more murkiness the defense can use especially when he has deep chud funded pockets.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
It feels like the right charge tbh?

Like, if he had been arraigned immediately, rather than go home, followed by a week of people (rightfully!) working themselves into a lather about how heinous the whole thing is, would we be this mad about the specific charge?

Overcharging and bad prosecution is the sort of bad poo poo that people supposedly want reform minded DA's to crack down on, it's just frustrating to see it happen in a very public way the one time when we'd rather throw the book at a dude?

If you're going to spend most of your time being Big Mad at the overreach of the carceral state, it's just a little hypocritical, even if it feels good, to get extremely mad the one loving time it doesn't happen;

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

that hold is a killer and he was trained to kill with it so this is a gift and he'll be out in like 18 months if he even ever goes in

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

mrmcd posted:

Yeah my (admittedly layman's) understanding is Manslaughter 2 is the closest slam dunk. Everything else requires proving intent to seriously injure or kill which has much more murkiness the defense can use especially when he has deep chud funded pockets.

I feel like choke hold for 15 mintues when he was dead with in 2 should cover that

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Chevy Slyme posted:

It feels like the right charge tbh?

Like, if he had been arraigned immediately, rather than go home, followed by a week of people (rightfully!) working themselves into a lather about how heinous the whole thing is, would we be this mad about the specific charge?

Overcharging and bad prosecution is the sort of bad poo poo that people supposedly want reform minded DA's to crack down on, it's just frustrating to see it happen in a very public way the one time when we'd rather throw the book at a dude?

If you're going to spend most of your time being Big Mad at the overreach of the carceral state, it's just a little hypocritical, even if it feels good, to get extremely mad the one loving time it doesn't happen;

I feel like the one time we have an actual public no poo poo strangling with your bare hands murder with eye witnesses feels like y'know murder. Like if this isn't something we can agree as a society is profoundly heinous and needs to be strongly discouraged, what is?

It's just very hard to feel like this isn't at all relevant to judicial overreach, but very much a case of "white perp black victim."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If they charge him for Murder or even Manslaughter 1 and he walks, he's going to go on the right wing talk show circuit like Kyle "Cryin' Man" Rittenhouse. If they get him for Manslaughter 2 they can push for 15, and even if they get less, at least we'll have him off the circuit for a few years.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Tulip posted:

I feel like the one time we have an actual public no poo poo strangling with your bare hands murder with eye witnesses feels like y'know murder. Like if this isn't something we can agree as a society is profoundly heinous and needs to be strongly discouraged, what is?

It's just very hard to feel like this isn't at all relevant to judicial overreach, but very much a case of "white perp black victim."

Let me be clear - this fuckstick getting an appropriate charge is 1000% a case of him benefitting from a case of “white perp black victim”.

But, I also just can’t find it in me to get mad at the appropriate charge being filed here, versus the inappropriate charges that get filed every loving day against someone else.

Is that injustice? It sure as gently caress is. But I want more justice, not less. Even if it means that I don’t get to indulge the totality of my moral outrage at this piece of trash.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

that foreign bodega guy that killed a man who was stabbing him a while back went to jail that day and stayed there for like two months despite daily media pressure

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I don't see how you see this as appropriate charges? The guy was was choking a corpse for 13 mintues. I don't see how this isn't Murder 2?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

man 2 is what? you recklessly caused a death by accident cause you disregarded the dangers of your actions?

penney choked a man by surprise attack until he pooped and expired

doesnt seem congruous with the definition

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the dude is literally a trained killer, there's no way he didn't know exactly what he was doing

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There's also the possibility that this is just the initial charge, the lowest bar of evidence needed to arrest him under sufficient constraint, and then they'll up it later, right?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's also the possibility that this is just the initial charge, the lowest bar of evidence needed to arrest him under sufficient constraint, and then they'll up it later, right?

cmon guy

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
It is critical that we remember the real victims of the Holocaust: the Soviets.

Claiming that the Holocaust was about Jews is Zionism. Biden is doing it to provide cover to Israel!

Chevy Slyme posted:

Let me be clear - this fuckstick getting an appropriate charge is 1000% a case of him benefitting from a case of “white perp black victim”.

But, I also just can’t find it in me to get mad at the appropriate charge being filed here, versus the inappropriate charges that get filed every loving day against someone else.

Is that injustice? It sure as gently caress is. But I want more justice, not less. Even if it means that I don’t get to indulge the totality of my moral outrage at this piece of trash.

The "correct charge here" is murder, and the fact that you assume the subway strangler "didn't really mean it" is due to white supremacy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hes back home on bail

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

hes back home on bail

Another violent criminal walking the streets because of bail reform. When will it end

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

In Training posted:

Another violent criminal walking the streets because of bail reform. When will it end
:hai:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That's no way to talk about Lee Zeldin's running mate in 2026.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

manslaughter 2 is a "safe" charge but the dude's a loving marine I don't think the prosecution would have a hard time proving that he's literally trained to kill people and is to be held to a higher standard for "accidentally" killing people

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mrmcd posted:

He's gonna make more money for murdering a homeless man than he ever would have doing actual work for his living.

America makes such things possible.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

his gofundme is over a million dollars

e: sorry, "givesendgo" the christian alternative to gofundme lol

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Jesus loving Christ. Demon nation

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

KomradeX posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Demon nation

:d2a:

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
https://archive.is/3q5r0

Pretty good article about how Adams is actively drowning the UPK program.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

https://archive.is/3q5r0

Pretty good article about how Adams is actively drowning the UPK program.

Every dollar we don't spend on kids is a dollar we can give to the cops to brutalize those kids

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pre-K article posted:

It’s also the signature achievement of former Mayor Bill de Blasio, whose tenure otherwise played out like a two-term breakup.

lol

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Amtrak's Adirondack Line from Albany to Montreal has been suspended due to excessive heat along trail after just reopening in April (was closed due to the pandemic)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fleetwood posted:

Amtrak's Adirondack Line from Albany to Montreal has been suspended due to excessive heat along trail after just reopening in April (was closed due to the pandemic)

what on earth

oh wait, the fires??

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what on earth

oh wait, the fires??

it seems to be the fires. Canada says the rails are warping north of the border so I guess there's no way for the train to turn around once it leaves north of Albany

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

They're never gonna replace those rails are they?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fleetwood posted:

it seems to be the fires. Canada says the rails are warping north of the border so I guess there's no way for the train to turn around once it leaves north of Albany

The Canadians are sabotaging the rail bc they're afraid of our big beautiful trains. We need to halt the line immediately.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Ladies and gentlemen.... the next President of the United States of America

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

dude fuckin sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman