Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I know that state succession is unconstitutional but would it be legal for us to give Staten Island to New Jersey? Has there been any large areas moved between states in the past century? I feel like this one simple trick could help us with some of our problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

gobbagool posted:

Many of us upstate would be glad to give everything south of Orange and Putnam county to NJ. You could then outlaw guns and cars and meat and whatever else you don't like and leave the rest of us alone

Sorry but you'll take my antiquing and hiking in Cold Spring from my cold dead hands. Which will probably be easy with all your guns and stuff.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol I was born and raised in Erie, and I'm pleased as gently caress to have gotten into brooklyn. I love the charge of New Yorkers being close-minded and insulated when I can walk ten minutes in any direction and get food from any continent I choose instead of never-ending swaths of subways and McDonald's.

Fracking is, best-case scenario, very environmentally risky and its benefits are an economic band-aid. energy companies pit land-owners against each other in a milkshake scenario so they lease for pennies, only work in counties that give them huge tax breaks, and import labor from other sites far more than they train locals. Then, when the extraction costs get too high for the market, they ship the gently caress out without bothering to cap the wells or clean up the pumps

So yeah, I don't appreciate putting the water supply of millions of people between the finger lakes and the Great Lakes in peril so a couple dozen assholes who won't educate nor relocate can be middle class again for four years

The trucks they use also completely destroy the country roads they drive on but since they barely pay any tax we get to pay for all the repairs.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

My district doesn't participate :(.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

MizPiz posted:

I'm currently working with Greenpeace on a campaign to get a plastic bag ban in New York City, and the wider state if possible. We're trying to figure out the best means to implement it (outright ban, a tax on it's use, etc.) and I'd love to get y'alls thoughts on what it should be and how it could be done. I know it's a bit more of a vanity initiative compared to other issues, but it's meant to get a local victory under our belt. Plus, the city alone uses 10 billion plastic bags anually, compared to 100 billion nationwide.

I'm personally torn between the tax and outright ban. The ban would be easier to sell and harder revoke, though the revenue from the tax could be directed towards a seperate initiative that directly benefits the population.

Just to put it out there: Paper bags will still be in use. This is really only directed towards the single use plastic bags you get at stores.

Paper bags are just as bad as plastic and cotton totes are even worse. I suggest using the effort instead on making better biodegradable reusable bags and give them out for free. Then ban plastic and paper ones.