Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

gobbagool posted:

It's obviously not a financial burden, but there's a huge cultural divide, and it really doesn't make sense to pretend it's one state. Look at the SAFE act as a perfect example. What makes perfect sense to a NY Times writer living in the upper east side, makes zero sense to a guy in suburban albany, or buffalo. The cultural sensibilities of NYC should not drive politics for the whole state, but they do. Not too many people upstate would claim that USNY would be better off financially without NYC, but most would also be willing to pay the price. NYC cultural hegemony is strident and oppressive enough that most would be willing to be less wealthy to get away from it, which is one of the reasons that USNY has been bleeding people so hard for so long

edit; yeah I get there are tons of other factors in the de-peopling of USNY. I was 10 when they announced the chevy foundry in tonawanda was closing, like 30k ppl lost their jobs overnight including most of my friends dads. a fair chunk of them moved to florida

According to a SUNY study in 2011, upstate NY has 36% of the state's population, generates 28% of its tax revenues, and receives 42% of its spending. Take away NYC and its suburbs and you'd basically have to slash per capita state spending by a third, which is enormous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

gobbagool posted:

Basically nobody registered their ars and aks so the law has been ignored. Make libs furious with this one easy trick!

So, if the laws are ineffective and everyone still has their guns, why does anyone give a poo poo? Where's the strident cultural oppression you're going on about? How does NYC's supposed political hegemony (which is absurd, the state senate is dominated by upstate Republicans and has been for 50 years) affect the lives of upstate residents in a negative way?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Can anyone summarize the DiBlasio thing for me? Is it just a big nothingburger?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

In 2014, BDB did a lot of fundraising for various upstate democrats - especially those running for senate. In addition, he has been linked at various times to a variety of donors who have relationships with the city and who have been investigated or even charged in various other unrelated shady campaign finance nonsense finally, during his first run for mayor, there was an outside PAC (the Campaign for One New York) that he was occasionally accused of working too closely with.

He was investigated as a result of these activities, based largely on a referral from a member of the state board of elections (a Cuomo appointee, natch). In particular, the fundraising for upstate Dems was seen as problematic because donors he solicited were giving money to local democratic committees which was in turn routed to campaign funds - this has been SOP in both parties in NY for years and nobody has ever been sanctioned or prosecuted for it, but it's also always been questionably legal, and Bharara's office in particular has taken a fairly expansive reading of campaign finance laws (see Silver, Sheldon and Skelos, Dean and Adam). It wasn't out of the question that he might want to use BDB to establish another new precedent w/r/t this practice. (There was also speculation that deblasio himself might not be charged but the aide responsible for following up his fundraising calls to say "thanks for agreeing to contribute. Please make out the check to Monroe County Democrats Housekeeping Fund" might be. No indication of that though.)

Today's announcement basically boils down to: "he dotted his i's crossed his t's, and consulted a lawyer every step of the way who told him how to 'follow the law' so there's nothing chargeable here. But the campaign finance laws suck and this should probably be illegal." Which... has kind of been the deblasio position all along with a corollary of "until the law is changed, we're not going to disadvantage ourselves over it."

So, yeah, nothingburger.

Thanks for this.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

just lol if you don't wear huge cargo pants to the supermarket and forego bags entirely

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The ultraorthodox are kind of their own thing and they're pretty much all awful. But if you want to discuss them don't just say "Jewish". It's like if you were talking about the Amish, but only referred to them as "Christians".

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It's just so wrong on its face. As if living in prewar buildings in upscale neighborhoods isn't also insanely expensive.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

That lady isn't from New York, is she.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Got my voter guide in the mail. Thoughts: a few major babes running for city council this year

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Cool story, bro! :thumbsup:

a decent smattering of hunks as well

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The greater question is what kind of dum dum registered for the green party in a solid blue city? In the general you can still vote for your JO Crystal candidate, but before you do that, maybe you could help steer the party who is going to win to be more progressive?

Yeah, what kind of Green Party voter is also incredibly dumb? That's a tough one for sure

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

E-Money posted:

It's fun to go back and forth about whether or not she's racist but there are plenty of other reasons not to vote for her and vote for Fox or Brisport. Her platform is all about courting big money to come to our neighborhood without any concern for the fact that longtime residents are already struggling and being priced out of their neighborhoods. She's a gentrifier who seems to think her constituency is the neighborhood itself rather than the people who currently live there. All her policies are for the rich white people that are currently/are going to live here as she continues to let unchecked development displace all the longtime residents.

Here's literally what her loving campaign website's platform is on HOUSING:

Affordable Housing
Under Construction

Hey if she's already got affordable housing under construction that's pretty drat good.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

:crossarms:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

Governor Ratfucker has never met a Rat he did not wish to gently caress vigorously and with great enthusiasm.

Do we really want to leave this rat half-hosed? Hindsight is 20-20, and sure, starting to gently caress the rat may not have been the best decision, but he got us into this mess and I say we give him a chance to finish the job. Four more years.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

building workers update: demands were met. new contract. no strike

:toot:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Really though, who are we to criticize this man. I say, let he who has not decked a woman right in the face for rebuffing his advances cast the first stone.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm praying for a woman to come forward about cuomo, or more than just one

Cuomo's too much of a pro for that to happen, he would've have them killed well before any allegations could come out

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

while we are wishlisting, death penalty for leaving dog poo poo on the ground

Confession time: About 10 years ago I was walking my dog in the city and he had diarrhea. I didn't know what to do since you can't pick up a liquid puddle with a doggie bag. I think I just stared at it for a while and walked away when I thought no one was looking.

:negative:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If I was working at a foster agency and a group of children in my care started being followed by a loving news crew I'd want to protect their privacy too.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 18:49 on Jun 20, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

That agency's program for fostering unaccompanied immigrant children is neither a secret nor a consequence of the new Trump policy: http://cayugacenters.org/programs/immigrant-foster-care/

I could maybe see someone making an argument that providing short-term support for kids in a really awful situation is helping to sustain a larger oppressive system, but this Pizzagate-for-the-left poo poo isn't helpful.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Jun 20, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

What the gently caress? I wasn't implying anything pizzagatey about it at all by posting it?

It's my own fault for just posting the tweet without comment. I meant to point out that the kids are beginning to arrive here. Good lord.

Every other post in that twitter thread is speculation that those kids are being smuggled as part of an ICE sex trafficking ring.

"The kids are beginning to arrive here" isn't even accurate, the agency has had that program since 2014 and we don't know what the circumstances of those particular children on the video are. Maybe they're unaccompanied as a result of the Trump policy, maybe they were sent here unaccompanied, maybe it's some other situation. We don't know.

Taintrunner posted:

lol there’s actual reported child abuses from the foster system these kids wind up in but go ahead call it leftist pizzagate

Yes, abuses can and do happen in foster care, and it would be great if the system was given the resources it needs to ensure a quality of staffing and caretaking that would eliminate those abuses. A news program following foster kids around with a camera and speculating wildly about something it has absolutely no context or evidence for is something else. Like, they're asking social workers -- who are legally and ethically prohibited from disclosing any information about clients without their consent -- who the kids are and where they come from, and then painting their refusal to discuss it as nefarious secrecy.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Jun 20, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

galaxybrain: bring kids you say you dont want in the country 2000 miles deeper into the country from the border they arrived at away from their parents with no records to put them back together so they might be deported as you profess to want.

Our immigration policy is horrific -- especially now -- but it's actually a good thing that those kids are winding up at an agency where they will receive supportive care, medical and mental health treatment, and most importantly have case workers who can advocate for them and facilitate reuniting them with their families. It's hosed up that they have to travel so far to receive those services, but that's more a reflection of how deficient social services are in the vast majority of the country.

I really doubt that DHS or ICE has anything to do with the decision to send these kids to New York -- again, even assuming those kids are a) undocumented and b) were detained at the border. I would assume it's HHS that's finding them placement at an appropriate agency, and it's not surprising to me at all that when your requirements involve large agencies with bilingual staff and experience working with undocumented populations, you'll be much more likely to find them in diverse urban areas like NYC.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 23:11 on Jun 20, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Shageletic posted:

You know that means alot of those kids will never be reunited with their parents again right

The damage is being done at the point of separation. Since the record-keeping is so deficient, this is why it's actually preferable that the kids wind up somewhere with capable and available case workers who can advocate for them and help locate their families, even if they have to travel to get there.

Like, DHS is dumping thousands of unidentified, unaccompanied kids on HHS's doorstop. They're children and need to be cared for. You can't just put them up in the nearest hotel.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 23:27 on Jun 20, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

So, Maloney is my district -- anything nefarious about Patel I should know about, aside from the obvious carpetbagging? He seems to have a fairly palatable social democratic platform.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

He sure does seem to have an awful lot of money in his campaign fund for a no-name supposedly from-the-Left primary challenge to an already fairly progressive congresswoman...

And that’s before you get into the recent reports of some potentially serious campaign finance violations.

I thought he comes from a wealthy family of hotel owners who are bankrolling him.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I think this story got kind of lost in the whole child concentration camps thing, but it's infuriating: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-pol-ice-detention-unaccompanied-minors-20180620-story.html

Basically, ICE is using the administrative gap between undocumented kids aging out of foster care and being placed with family sponsors to detain them and move them out of NYC, so that they no longer have access to legal services. It was discovered because kids would suddenly stop showing up at school after their 18th birthdays. loving evil.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ew

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

I seem to recall the Sanders people doing something similar. It's not a bad idea.

It's an incredibly bad idea.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Why is approaching people on false pretenses bad? Are you kidding?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

but it's not false pretenses, they say what they're doing when someone chats with them.

sorry for not respecting the sanctity of hookup apps I guess???

If they were using their actual pictures (or a picture of the candidate) and the account was clearly identified from the outset as being for the purpose of canvassing for the campaign, then whatever. But misrepresenting themselves to initiate the conversation, then disclosing afterwards, is flat-out unethical -- and that's in addition to the fact that dating is something people tend to be emotionally invested in, and pretending to be an attractive person who matches with someone and begins talking to them just to immediately reveal that it's a ruse is awfully unkind.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 05:36 on Jun 22, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

LegionAreI posted:

Pretty sure he got stonewalled on it. ICE apparently has a gag order on all agencies they are using.

I'd love to see the state police raid some poo poo for full governmental breakdown, but that might be worse for the kids :(

HHS, not ICE. Don't let a bad actor off the hook by blaming everything on ICE.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Crowley down 16 points with over half reporting, wow

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

:toot:

very cool, congrats to everyone in the thread who worked on her campaign or voted for her

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Bloomberg...is bad? :monocle:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

i'll never get over him being a keynote speaker at the DNC as he was simultaneously raising money for pat toomey

:lol: I forgot that he spoke at the DNC. Incredible.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Guardian Angels are some dork-rear end poo poo, also racist

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The subway issues are really more about being an annoyance and loving up your day when you have to commute daily. It's not something that should stop you from using the subway if you're just visiting.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

De Blasio's heart is in the right place but he is just astonishingly bad at the whole "politics" thing

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The article's okay, but the single comment by a profoundly insane person is way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I support bike lanes because we can use them to cordon off and then murder all the cyclists and then use them as extra sidewalks