Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The fact that Slate was removed as a co-developer for the Armory after their scandal as well as the fact that Carmelo Anthony withdrew support for the recreation center is a testament to how much of a shitshow this has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Preet Bharara can never run for president.
how about now

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Nope. He was born in India.
ah ok. he should still finish the job and run for governor though

edit: if he even resigns, which he hasn't yet, as have most district attorneys asked to resign

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 08:59 on Mar 11, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Senator Buzzfeed Alcantara strikes again

quote:

The debate over the Independent Democratic Conference’s budget resolution in the Senate on Wednesday took a heated turn when IDC Sen. Marisol Alcantara accused Deputy Minority Leader Mike Gianaris of “white privilege.”

Alcantara was taking issue with Gianaris needling the eight-member IDC, which has worked closely with Senate Republicans over the years, and quoted The Daily News which accused the IDC being in agreement with “Trump Republicans” in the chamber.

In her remarks, Alcantara said Gianaris is a “white man with a degree from Harvard.”

“I would like to know how many times my colleague has been called the n-word or a spic,” she said.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MizPiz posted:

IDK, there's still a non-zero chance of Hillary running.
does she have residency in NYC? if not, no chance of that happening

also, what's with the term "nothingburger?" been seeing that a bunch over the past couple days

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

christ, it took george w bush five years to have this scandal and this has happened in two loving months

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

never trust Walter Mosley. i wonder who bribed him to change his mind on the armory

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

Right now the push is simply to kill the deal and start the process over in a way that actually gives the community input, instead of just opening with a proposal from private developers, but long-term there are some groups who want to push for the site to be placed in some kind of community land trust.
I think Mosley was at that rally in front of City Hall to turn it into a community land trust, along with Richardson and Hamilton. But I never trusted his sincerity, he kinda sucks.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

etalian posted:

Probably also driven by people not wanting to live in such lovely cities as Rochester and Buffalo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2uN28EJRlA
buffalo has a large immigrant population, further proving that immigrants will do things native-born americans won't do

Tweezer Reprise posted:

:gonk: because it's true
probably more racist too, it leads google searches for the n-word

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

financially racist posted:

the thing is mario cuomo was good and if andrew cuomo just aspired to be his father that'd be cool
i think andrew's lovely stances are a way of saying "gently caress you dad"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Hey New York City Dwellers. Vote on the participatory budget. Today is the last day, but you can do it online :)

http://council.nyc.gov/pb/vote/
i did it outside the walgreens near where i live. i voted for countdown clocks for my local bus stop, an air conditioner at a middle school cafeteria, and other good stuff

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"not everyone is acting like an adult" -republican state senator, on talks about raising the age of criminal liability

times like this i wish we had a gif of a giant :irony: exploding into many :ironicat:s

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

binghamton is a poor miserable city even by the standards of upstate

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nobody knows how many people will get "free tuition." that's how you know it's good

might be over 100k, might be 32,000. who knows?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

far be it from me to agree with the Post, but they raise some good points about how the scholarship program sucks and stands to make student loans even worse. namely, there's a last-minute provision put in by senate republicans and supported by cuomo to require in-state jobs after college or they'll magically become loans

call this plan like it is: bullshit

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Free in-state tuition is categorically a good thing
it's less "free in-state tuition" and more of a tuition assistance program. all the stipulations and little details favor people closer to $125k than further away from it

it's better than nothing, in the sense that wonk-fueled policy usually is

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ruben diaz sr. is running for city council, where he can do far less damage as a brash pro-life anti-gay theocrat than he can in the state senate. hopefully the candidates who step up in his absence are better than the people who are widely considered to be interested in running for perkins's vacant seat in harlem

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

Also FYI for everyone thinking they are gonna get a free ride, initial calculations are showing that a lot less people are going to be eligible than most people think. Once details come out (ha), make sure to read carefully.
some details are already out and they suck. that post op-ed i posted does a shockingly good rundown

here's a rundown of possible challenges to IDC members across the state. klein and savino aren't going anywhere, and as much as i'd love to see richardson take down hamilton i doubt she'll run. i don't see carlucci getting a challenge either

the remaining four will get somebody. i'd love to see Miner (who has no love for Cuomo) take on Valesky

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

i notice that article doesn't mention simcha felder. Hasn't he had no primary / general opposition for years? Is his seat impossible to take or what?
Felder isn't part of the IDC. He flat-out caucuses with the Republicans, so "IDC Democrat" doesn't apply to him. He only got his seat in 2012 because of redistricting. Before that, Midwood was split between Carl Kruger and Kevin Parker (who he tried to primary challenge and failed). Now that Midwood and Borough Park make up most of the district, it contains practically all of the Hasidic community in South Brooklyn, and it's very hard to beat someone backed by people who vote similarly to evangelical Christians. It doesn't matter that he puts his constituents at risk by refusing to back the single-payer bill in committee (Borough Park is ever-so-slightly poorer than East New York and has tons of people on public assistance) and wanting to raise the speed limit on Ocean Parkway to 30 mph instead of 25, he's a good Jew and you shouldn't go against that.

I want the male district leader David Schwartz to one day have a go at him, as he's an economic progressive/social conservative in the style of Jumaane Williams, but he just got voted in last year and he risks pissing off Dov Hikind if he's not careful or too hasty.

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Apr 13, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if you think this wasn't a murder motivated by bigotry, i got a bridge with the name of the borough i live in to sell you

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Early reports say it was suicide.
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

so is alex jones or some other crank declaring war on judges? like, more than there's been over the past couple decades?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm so glad that the probable next state senator for harlem is the second guy down on this real estate development company and that he was basically put there on the democratic line (without a primary) because the president of the manhattan democrats wanted him there

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Tammany Hall, the fire that shall will never be extinguished. :patriot:
tammany hall was better for the working class

MizPiz posted:

Alex Jones is too busy trying to legally prove he doesn't really believe lizardpeople are trying to make everyone into gay autists.
he'll be facing the wrath of family court soon enough

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there's a special election coming up in the 9th assembly district and there's a good chance to flip the seat to a Sanders Democrat. long story short: Pellegrino was a Sanders delegate last year (admittedly this doesn't mean so much as Alcantara was as well), she wasn't going to get the Democratic nomination for the election, she went to the Working Families Party, the Dems ended up choosing her to avoid humiliation and retribution from the WFP, she won't be getting much (or any) help from the local and state party, but she's got lots of union backing in a union-heavy district in Suffolk County

the election is May 23rd. anyone out in the armpit of Long Island should consider volunteering for her campaign

edit: the Suffolk County Dems aren't supporting her because the head of it is under investigation for fundraising irregularities. gg ny

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Apr 22, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

That was my sense as well. The unions are firmly against it.
seeing as cuomo cursed about how unions would have a lot of influence on the process, it's easy to see why they're against it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Absolutely. Also New King's Democrats are working with various other progressive clubs to have a Con Con.
an appropriate name for something that will completely gently caress over lots of people

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

etalian posted:

I can't decide if Trenton or Albany is the bigger shithole of a state capital
they still make taylor ham in Trenton (don't fight me on the "correct" way of pronouncing it, please) so it's got that going for it, at least

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i got an email from my local DSA meeting group about the con con, taken from somebody's union retiree newsletter

quote:

Keep Your Eye on the Con Con – An Update

Over the past year, we’ve written repeatedly about the potential dangers involved in this fall’s New York State ballot referendum on whether or not to hold a State Constitutional Convention. Most unions, including OSA, are urging a “No” vote on the referendum because of the potential risks to public employee pensions and collective bargaining rights and much more. Here, thanks to information provided by the New York State Alliance for Retired Americans, is an update.

NYSARA points out that on April 20 , a new Siena Poll revealed that 61% of respondents said they knew nothing at all and another 24% said they knew not very much about the upcoming convention ballot question. Only 5% said they knew a great deal and 8% some about ConCon. Yet, when the same respondents were asked if they supported a Constitutional Convention, 59% said they did, 22% said they opposed it and 18% didn't know. Even more concerning, among union members, 57% supported the Convention and only 30% opposed it, with 13% saying they didn't know.

The effort to derail what could be a disaster for seniors in general and public sector workers in particular requires a massive commitment and a great deal of work. In 1997, the last time a Convention was placed before the public, it was defeated with the active support and funding of organized labor, but the political climate is quite different this year than it was in 1997.

Multiple groups supporting the Convention are forming. Among those are the NY People's Convention (https://nypeoplesconvention.org); the Committee for a Constitutional Convention (https://concon19.org), and ReclaimNY (https://reclaimnewyork.org). They all have the potential to raise a significant amount of funding. In addition, the general sense among the public is that New York State government is dominated by special interests and is corrupt, a perception aided by recent convictions of Assembly and Senate leaders. As with the 2016 presidential election, the possibility of a vote for change without regard to the details is plausible.

Meanwhile, those arguing against the Convention include virtually all of Labor, including the NYS AFL-CIO, the Working Families Party, the Conservative Party, the NRA, immigration groups, the NYS Association of Counties, Senate Majority Leader Flanagan, Assembly Speaker Heastie and Senate Independent Democrats Leader Klein. Those favoring the ConCon so far include the NYS and NYC Bar Associations, the Long Island Association (business lobby), the NYS League of Women Voters and Assembly Minority Leader Kolb. Among the many concerns voiced by Labor is the possibility of an influx of funding from right wing, anti-union groups based out-of-state in support of the referendum with the goal of diminishing worker rights in New York, a state which has maintained high union density in the face of nationwide attacks on unions, particularly in the public sector. It’s time to become familiar with the Convention referendum and begin to talk with neighbors, friends and relatives about ensuring a “no” vote.
the only thing lacking are links to sites against the convention, but i think this email does a good job of outlining the concerns, all of which i share

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

as much as i like zephyr teachout, she was absolutely a carpetbagger in that district. i'm not sure whether that encompasses some of Amedore's state senate district, but if it does, it'd be nice to see Cecilia Tkaczyk run. she won the first election there in 2012 even though it was carved out to be GOP friendly, but she lost the rematch two years later and hasn't bothered running since

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Laurie Cumbo officially came out against the Bedford Union Armory plan. constant pressure from community groups finally got to her

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when cuomo finds out who proposed cutting over $60 million from the MTA budget this year, he'll really have egg on his face!

speaking of which, NYC residents want cuomo to run for president by a 2-to-1 margin, presumably because many of us are loving stupid

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i read a labor blog trashing trump's infrastructure plan and he apparently signed a law getting rid of the requirement to blacklist construction firms with bad safety records from working on federal projects. there's no low that cuomo won't sink to

getting rid of the current MSG to rebuild Penn Station was going to be a thing a few years ago, but James Dolan is a dick and refused to build a new arena a block or two away
disregard this btw, she came out to a rally with de blasio and someone from BFC (the developers) regarding the redevelopment. activism does nothing, hope is a lie

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm currently waiting on the assembly district 9 special election returns. nothing as of yet

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yep, checked the board of elections and she's up by about 20 points with 64 of 109 districts in. there is hope for this state after all

also brian benjamin won the Harlem state senate seat race but that was a foregone conclusion and he sucks

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

:frogsiren::ducksiren::siren: END OF THE FRACTURED DEMOCRATIC SENATE CAUCUS MAY* BE COMING TO AN END :siren::ducksiren::frogsiren:

https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/jeffrey-d-klein/independent-democratic-conference-launches-call-roll
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/nyregion/simcha-felder-independent-democratic-conference-senate.html?_r=2

*- i'm not holding my breath and neither should any of you

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

apparently the 9th AD race was going to be an intense clusterfuck for the Dems until Pellegrino stepped in. i'd quote parts but i'd be doing the story a great disservice, so just click and read

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

Is there an acceptable candidate in the NJ Democratic primary for governor?
i'd like to berate you for posting in the New York politics thread instead of somewhere else, but i'm a Jersey guy originally, so i'm gonna point you in the right direction with Bill Brennan

my personal favorite is "legalize weed and use abandoned factories to grow it"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Any one else seeing like ads promoting the IDC talking about how they support New York? It's loving laughable
stay off of Kings County Politics, they're not even pretending to hide the fact that they're pro-IDC anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

I'm noir even seeing it there, I suspect some people I know on Facebook must have liked their page so I keep getting ads for them
makes sense, the IDC has been on a PR blitz ever since Hamilton and Alcantara committed to them. i just mentioned that website because they have ads for them and blatantly say they're pro-IDC in the "About" section