Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Other side was big in the nascent musical theater community in the 1930s.
I know you probably figured nobody could possibly care, but as NYC LAN goons can testify, nothing could've given me worse grabby hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Ol Standard Retard posted:

We refer to Hal Prince as "Uncle Hal". he's not the family member though. This has been a fun exercise in expressing how neat the connection is without having my name be extremely easily googleable. Although I'm sure it already is on SA at least.
I'm not trying to google you at all but hnnggh. Hnnnnnngh

I sang for him once, I can probably call him Uncle Hal too right

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

also, what's with the term "nothingburger?" been seeing that a bunch over the past couple days

theflyingexecutive posted:

"Nothingburger" was a term Mook et al used to describe hillary's email scandal, usu shouted when plugging his ears
"______burger" is a weird old Helen Gurley Brown thing, don't ask me how it got from her to him

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I feel like plastic grocery bags get way more use in NYC than they do elsewhere. In rural areas they occasionally get reused, but more often just get thrown out as soon as they get home. Here, pretty much everyone I know uses them for garbage bags instead of buying giant plastic garbage bags. I would end up using way more plastic if grocery bags weren't an option.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah I've legit never thrown away handfuls of plastic bags or anything like that. I have one of those holders, and I've never had to clean it out. I live alone, so I don't buy a ton of stuff in bags and I don't produce a ton of trash, so it balances well. Making them more biodegradable would be great, but making people pay for garbage bags instead is no improvement.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

apparently when subway announcements talk about "train traffic," it usually means that they're spacing the trains evenly for god knows what reason
On the 7, "due to train traffic ahead of us" means an express is cutting in front of the local you're on.

My unfavorite announcement is "there's another train directly behind this one." That one could go either way, which is what makes it so maddening.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Wouldn't the names just be like existing ones, like "8th St NYU" or "Jay St. MetroTech"? Am I being too optimistic?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

I saw a brochure yesterday for a woman running for something that said "Republican" and "Woman Equality" on it and I nearly exploded
The Women's Equality Party is a specific (bullshit) thing for Cuomo
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_Equality_Party_(New_York)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Barbe Rouge posted:

I don't know what "transaction costs of policing" even means. Is it just a euphemism for "the police won't be able to harass people"?
If you take the super optimistic view, maybe it just means they have to buy lots of business cards now

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There are a ton of longtime Secret Neighborhood residents who have cars and are super attached to them, but I don't know if they drive into Manhattan specifically.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Mandoric posted:

and yeah metrocard is already tracked and logged, the pass-from-pretax-income program packages up a report for your employer the technical card owner about when and where you've been.
wtf? wtf? wtf? I'm pretty good about reading small print and I definitely don't remember that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

mrmcd posted:

Reddit dude had a card given to him by his job because his job involved riding the subway all day, it wasn't his personal commuter card pretax or otherwise.
No, that's wrong. Reddit guy bought his own card through the same pretax program we all do.

quote:

I pay for my metro card out of pocket through the transit check wage work program that lets u order an unlimited monthly pass through your employer before taxes.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you haven't heard of the Guardian Angels before, check it out, that's some good reading

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
that is a factually supported thing https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/science/chilly-at-work-a-decades-old-formula-may-be-to-blame.html

but I never thought anyone would make it a point or try to change it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
JVB was eight when Harvey Milk was elected. Ruben Diaz is garbage who shouldn't be dogcatcher, but I think a little side eye at JVB is appropriate

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I absolutely didn't say it was easy to be a gay kid, I just think "I had NEVER heard of an out gay person in power" is a little overstated

I am a JVB constituent and queer btw

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Those first 5 points are going to change rent stabilization dramatically, like mega dramatically. Good cause eviction is also a huge deal even for non-rent-stabilized people. Altogether it just seems way too good to be true (and wow I wish it'd been a thing in time for me to take advantage).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
can we please get a link? "63rd st tower zoning" gets me nowhere, and I need to tell a small-town town planner asap

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
tyvm, that also led to the NYT article if anyone's interested. My planner friend is going to love it, he regularly makes people do the same thing, but like Home Depot sheds, not five stories of a luxury high rise

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I really don't like whining about ~cancel culture~ but I really, really hate "sex pest." Imo it's used to minimize and cover up awful poo poo. A pest is a mildly annoying younger sibling, not a serial predator.

Anyway here's an article https://www.lohud.com/story/news/politics/2019/06/25/open-government-advocate-robert-freeman-fired-sex-harass-complaint/1553784001/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
And allegedly said sexist and racist poo poo.

And did something inappropriate to multiple women at work in 2013 that ended with him having to take extra "how to not sexually harass people" classes, and getting a warning he could be fired. In 2013

And, according to the Inspector General's letter, admitted to most of it, "including meeting with and kissing the young reporter"

really recommend reading the article

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
hey if you support decriminalizing and destigmatizing sex work, please reconsider throwing around "whore" as an insult, because it makes people not trust you

also, you know, bitches and cunts

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah, the issue is not "don't say ___ because it's not polite," the issue is that saying it reveals something about your actual values that isn't in line with what your purported values are. The point is less to get you to mask those deep beliefs, more to get you to examine and change them

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
also today!

https://twitter.com/nycgov/status/1177310896344969217

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The argument that there were anti-BLM undercover provocateurs among the protestors doesn't seem like made-up bullshit. Anecdotally it's been a thing in NYC for awhile.

https://twitter.com/freeyourmindkid/status/1266598693647638528
(Long thread including pics)

https://twitter.com/gypsyeyedbeauty/status/1266164431584714753

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/george-floyd-death-protests-white-arm-bands-new-york-police-a9540036.html

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1266751535566016515
(thread and replies)

The argument is not that POC are too saintly to riot or that there were no POC involved, the argument is that cops and white supremacists are trying to make protesters and POC look bad. Which should not come as a shock.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

it's quote tweeting a moron who's promoting a "foreign agent" angle on the protests.
That does appear to be an actual thing though. If you don't trust POC who were at the protest and you don't trust the governor and mayor and you don't trust established news sources all saying the same thing, idk man, it really seems like you're buying the 4chan line.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/05/30/every-person-arrested-in-saint-paul-last-night-was-from-out-of-state-mayor-says/

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Obviously they exist, but focusing on the "agents provocateur" narrative is a concession to frame the discussion on their terms. It's not only not joining with the whole tone of "well of course we all condemn violence of any kind", but it also distracts from the fact that police meeting protesters with batons and barricades (and allowing police-community relations to break down for years and years) is going to escalate things 1000x more than any number of undercovers throwing rocks, and that this is a case of resisting force with force, not of "unprovoked violence".
I agree with that, but not highlighting the outside agents is unfair to the protesters who tried to prevent violence, and it allows unlimited alt-right recruiting talking points of "look what those savages did to their own neighborhoods"

Anne Whateley has issued a correction as of 21:25 on May 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Queensboro Plaza is very dependent on the season. In good weather it's probably my favorite. Above 80° or under 50° it can gently caress off.