Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
A big "gently caress off" to the breakaway Democrats in state senate who are for some reason caucusing with the Republicans. I'm talking specifically about the Dominicans from Washington Heights and Inwood. Ethnic politics won't mean anything in four years in those neighborhoods, so good luck in the next election. I've never been so glad about the prospect of gentrification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

dumb teacher rant, apologies in advance:

in nys, teachers hired after a certain date need professional development hours to keep their license.

recently the state changed the req's for professional development. the previous system was coming to the point where it might actually impact people and they replaced it and wiped the slate clean. this meant that years of attending pd meetings and all the associated record keeping on the part of teachers was tossed out the window.

they replace it with a system where the meetings and workshops i go to provided by my public school dont count as pd. only meetings hosted by an accredited organization with a special code from the state count as pd and many of these cost money and time outside the workday

nobody i know at work is doing much to complete their reqs. we all expect this system to again be changed when the 5 year hours deadline is getting close. its just a really annoying and whoever came up with it should go to prison

Um, yeah. The exact same money train is in effect for NY doctors who want to maintain their board certification. You have to do a certain number of hours of continuing education, sure, but it must be with materials from approved companies. I wish there were some investigative reporter who could track down who is making money off these lovely scams, but the NYT staff seems to be too busy complaining about homeless people sleeping in public or something.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yang would 100% try to start a program to scrap the subway system in order to have those dumb Musk car tunnels from Vegas replace it while having an app developed to allow Bitcoin to be used to pay for fare and would buy a bunch of Boston Dynamic Spot robots for the NYPD with remote controlled tasers strapped to their heads

Let me reminisce about all the mayors who presided over NY in my lifetime:

Beame: barely competent party hack, inherited a poo poo sandwich and was overwhelmed
Koch: pugnacious, quick-witted, deeply closeted. the classic 80s new yorker!
Dinkins: took office after the height of the crack epidemic, somehow made things worse
Guiliani: better living through fascism
Bloomberg: improved the city for white guys in all five boroughs
Deblasio: won office despite being hated by everybody. his wife heads a billion-dollar department to, i don't know, work on mental health or something

I would rather any of them over Yang, who seems like an aspergery tech bro. personally i like stringer, if only because of his pledge to support community boards against lovely developers who want to steamroll zoning rules. I thought about garcia for a while until i found out she explicitly promised to back the lovely developers :toot:.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
This is too complicated. I'm voting for Stringer, because his fatal flaw is being a sex pest, and that is classic and easy for me to understand.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

betaraywil posted:

Just got the voter guide, and gently caress the mayoral race. Who's everybody got for Comptroller?

I got a call from Brad Lander telling me that CoJo is only in it to keep his name alive until he can run for mayor, so I should vote for the guy whose life goal is to be a reliable steward of public funds, which is a pretty good pitch. On the same basis, I'm also feeling this lady whose bullet points are all about things the comptroller actually does and whose background information is "N/A." Real nerdlinger energy, Terri Liftin.

I'm also open to the guy who seems to be a high school student, as well as Reshma Patel, near as I can tell the only one who mentions direct experience in the comptroller's office

Eta the worst guy in my council district (and we have a guy running on the healing power of yoga):

I went to a Brad Lander/Biaggi fundraiser, Lander seemed to have pretty good ideas. I'll probably vote for him for comptroller.