Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/826869092619522048

I'm going to this. Anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Maed posted:

Sorry but you'll take my antiquing and hiking in Cold Spring from my cold dead hands. Which will probably be easy with all your guns and stuff.

i lived in cold spring for the better part of a year and the only good things about it are:

the pizza is really good

and there's that nifty underground passage like in pokemon

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

gobbagool posted:

people in cities werent/arent dying because a rifle had a pistol grip or a 'muzzle brake'. Your statement is perfect NYC. What exactly about the SAFE act would have prevented Sandy Hook? Even your statement about the NYS sheriffs (which I believe you mean the NYS Police) shows how little you understand things. The union for the NYSP told the state to go gently caress itself and advised it's members to avoid enforcing the law, which they largely have since it is correctly seen as meddling from a bunch of culture war imperialists.

i am going to take away your guns

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah, because "not poisoning groundwater" is totally a effete bougie trend, like going gluten-free.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

gobbagool posted:

FYI, it is. Try getting out of Brooklyn, there's a whole big world out there

So you're admitting that fracking is an environmental disaster?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

look, a man can dream, dammit

how did the Peralta meeting go? i hear it was packed

poo poo was lit. The center got filled and overflowed into the street. Out on the street there were like 20 pro-IDC dorks versus what felt like dozens upon dozens of anti-IDC folks. Peralta escaped out the back door, the coward.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Thompson isn't responsible for every loving bomb threat.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Cuomo Declares a State of Emergency for New York City Subways

quote:

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo declared a state of emergency for the subway system on Thursday and said he would sign an executive order to accelerate efforts to improve service, including undertaking badly needed repairs and obtaining new cars and equipment.

Mr. Cuomo said the dismal performance of the system was no longer acceptable and said he had ordered Joseph J. Lhota, the new chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which runs the subway, to provide a reorganization plan for the agency within 30 days, to “design an organization that performs a function,” he said, denouncing the agency’s performance.

Mr. Lhota must also review the agency’s capital plan within 60 days, the governor added. Mr. Cuomo pledged to direct an additional $1 billion for capital improvements.

Mr. Cuomo’s comments came two days after a subway train derailed in northern Manhattan, injuring about three dozen people and raising concerns among commuters that the system had become not only unreliable, but unsafe.

The governor said the executive order would make it easier for the transit agency to focus on its most urgent needs.

quote:

“It will no longer be a tortured exercise to do business with the M.T.A.,” Mr. Cuomo said at a meeting in Manhattan where entrepreneurs were gathered for a competition unveiled by the governor for ideas on how the fix the problems plaguing the subway.

“We need new ideas,” the governor said. “Delivered faster.”

quote:

Mr. Lhota said he had not known about the $1 billion pledge before the governor announced it. “I heard about it a few seconds before you heard it,” he told reporters at the transit conference. “My immediate thought was, it’s a new day in New York.” As for where the money would come from, he said, “I did not have an opportunity to ask the governor a question.” Mr. Cuomo left the conference immediately after he addressed the group to return to Albany.

Mr. Lhota said the executive order’s easing of procurement rules was “probably worth more than the billion dollars.” He said it would allow the agency to hire contractors to make repairs faster.

“The governor has made it clear he wants a new M.T.A., a new approach,” Mr. Lhota said. “We know what we need to do. He mentioned the subway’s aging signal system. We live in a digital age. Our signal system isn’t even analog. It’s mechanical.”

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I signed up too. Why the gently caress not, I'll run!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

My dad is an adjunct at Dutchess, it's a nice place. I spent a year loving around (instead of attending classes) there.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

LegionAreI posted:

Computer science. Suprising, I know :v:

Cue DCC goons asking every faculty member if they have stairs in their house

Hply poo poo, you definitely know my dad. He's in his 70s and teaches introductory classes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

can anyone here put me in contact with anyone willing and able to help me unionize my small workplace?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I work at a for-profit afterschool program in Brooklyn. The management is literally criminal but the kids and my coworkers deserve better, we can't afford (some of us literally) to bail.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/RonanFarrow/status/993630020701773825

welp

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

there must be some pathogen in the albany water supply that turns any progressive politician into a hosed up sex creep

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what happened? Farrow's tweet was deleted, are there other details?

https://twitter.com/LisaMcIntire/status/993639901378719745

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/four-women-accuse-new-yorks-attorney-general-of-physical-abuse

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

god this loving sucks

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'll be doing the same.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

abolish "top" high schools

-hchs grad

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/Gothamist/status/1012795243668934656?s=19

hark! the end of anonymous subway travel.

the mta's payment tech will be raided by ICE and other fascist agencies and used to track, criminalize, and assault New Yorkers. Say no to app-based travel.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

holy poo poo!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

when my pay went from 11 to 13, they slashed staffing from a ratio of 1 adult:6 kids to 1 adult:8 kids. My boss being awful I was ready for, but coworkers who advocated for it, I can never trust again.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

why are there 6 cops in full battle gear and assault weapons just standing around doing nothing in my subway stop today? is it a terrorism anniversary?

they need walkies

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

i still have to work

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I can understand that health inspections can often be poor representations of actual resteraunt conditions day-to-day. If big A GRADE inspection certificates in windows don't actually reflect those conditions, their presence might be offering false assurances and/or eroding faith in the health department as an institution.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Emotionally I like the Culver Viaduct (4th/9th and Smith/9th) because it's a period of sunlight on the fairly dour F train. I also like Fort Hamilton because you just roll into the lion's den entrance by Ocean Parkway and if you need to take your bike on the train for some reason it's only one flight down to the platform.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Did you mean to post Gundam sakuga?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

he also wants to cancel summer vacation

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

the adams campaign's documented electioneering will face no consequences. hell world

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

the American automobile is a conservative institution. It promises comfort and isolation from everyone outside your immediate household; in practice, it cannot isolate you, but it can guarantee that all social interactions are adversarial. It replaces community with conflict and allows you to abdicate responsibility for the consequences of your consumption. Regardless of any individual's justifiable dependence on private automobiles, car culture is extremely terrible in exactly the way that conservatives revere.

By offering an alternative to the private automobile, bicycles infuriate reactionaries already. This is made more severe by the fact that, within NYC, riding a bike is cheaper, faster, and more fun than sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic; this induces further resentment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

"lol we can do what we want" is the only rule in American jurisprudence