Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I live in the armpit between Buffalo and Rochester, but outside of the politics (and racism), I really like the area. Rochester and Buffalo are both very nice cities to live in, assuming you can find a job.

edit: gently caress Cuomo, Schumer, Gillibrand, et al

whatis has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

etalian posted:

Probably also driven by people not wanting to live in such lovely cities as Rochester and Buffalo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2uN28EJRlA

hahahaha buffalo and rochester have had lovely economies for decades that haven't been sufficiently addressed!!! hahahaHAHAHA THEY'RE BAD CITIES HAHAHAHAHAHA

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
it's extremely funny, to me, that poverty levels in upstate new york are more than double the national average in most places. having a big laugh here that poorly thought-out and implemented economic development initiatives have failed miserably to address longstanding deficiencies in communities just a few hours away from new york city

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

I mean... isn't that most states outside of their core cities? Most of upstate seems about as bad as anywhere else in the country.

upstate is worse

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
yess!!!! gently caress yes!!!! get the gently caress out!!!

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
MADE IT WITH 2 MINUTES TO SPARE

NIXON/WILLIAMS/TEACHOUT CREW REPRESENT

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i'm in a pretty solid red town in collins' district and the polls this morning were dead. there were a handful of 20-somethings casting their ballots and that's it. i'd be shocked if mcmurray won, but he's been campaigning in person all over the area and has endeared himself to a lot of people that would otherwise normally never consider voting democrat.

fingers crossed

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
buffalo news just called ny-27 for collins. predictable but disappointing. mcmurray kept it closer than i expected, but that hurts

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i'm pretty much the only one of my friend group growing up that's actually left the upstate new york area for any significant period of time (i've since returned) and they are pretty much all on the "upstate should split because NYC drains our taxes" bandwagon. this came up in a convo last week, and when i explained that we actually massively benefit from taxes, they're response was:

1) we pay way more in taxes than we get back and anything that says otherwise is fake news
2) the high taxes are a big reason why it's hard to get businesses to come/remain in WNY

the first point is completely loving stupid, but while there's some merit to the second, i pointed out that lowering taxes won't accomplish anything. it all falls on deaf ears of course, but it's hilarious to see people get flustered when someone outside of the echo chamber tells them how loving dumb they are.

really the only thing upstate could do right now in order to up revenue and "create jobs" is to completely rape the environment and allow unchecked fracking and mining, and loving lol if anyone thinks that's going to have any sort of positive impact on the state as a whole.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
absolutely, it's just insane that more people can't see how transparent it is. it's just crazy to me that people are excited by the idea of turning into west virginia

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
chris collins announced he's resigning and plans to plead guilty to pending charges

it's too bad the district will happily vote for whatever republican they choose to replace him with

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Buffalo City Hall was raided today by the FBI, HUD, and IRS

whatis has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Nov 6, 2019

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1207390633507340288

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012