Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
slammed that motherfuckin bookmark button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Who's gonna do an effort post on WFP, DSA, NKD etc

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
thanks for the effort posts, Y-Hat

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
C-SPAM is an eternal dialectic of effortposts and shitposts

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Return to Democrats or Resign, Petition Urges Sen. Jose Peralta

drat he sounds like such a loving shithead.

quote:

The petition was filed Saturday morning by Will Sweeney, a community activist and filmmaker from Jackson Heights following a town hall meeting Friday night where Peralta was grilled by residents after joining the Independent Democratic Conference.

By Monday evening, it had received more than 450 signatures.

Peralta and his team said Monday that the petition doesn't accurately represent his constituency, which includes Jackson Heights, East Elmhurst, Elmhurst and Corona, and is filled with signatures of people from elsewhere.

"Regardless of what people in South Korea and Florida might think, I will continue to defend the people of my district," he said in a statement. "I stand by my decision to join the Independent Democratic Conference more than ever, and know we’re going to have a productive legislative session."

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
he's my loving state senator, i guess i'll drop by his office

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/rmc031/status/829358574379868161

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I think he's promoting it at a conference right now - I've seen this from other Democratic AG's though too, for instance this from Jim Hood of Mississippi.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
back in november i linked to a really great interview the New York Slant, City & State's podcast, did with Schneiderman but it looks like they took it down. he talked about movement building vs. "transactional" politics, a subtle dig at clinton and cuomo.

old link i posted is dead now, i don't see it on their iTunes page either

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Shageletic posted:

The march on 2/17 (National Strike Day I think?) seems to be the next big protest (if anyone knows of any others, especially with a immigrant/refugee focus, please let me know).

Hope to see as many of you guys and gals out there as possible.

Check out Make the Road New York for info on immigrant and refugee rights rallies -- Twitter, Website.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Literal Blue Dog Coalition member Kirsten Gillibrand

She's better than Schumer but god she'd be Clinton redux as a presidential candidate and get savagely owned

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Nice writeup on Schneiderman's voter access efforts up at The American Prospect

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cross-posting from the NYC thread, but there's a lot in here about Pataki and local real estate interests etc

New York's Vast Flop, Martin Filler offers architectural criticism on the redevelopment of Ground Zero.

Verisimilidude posted:

Any other unironic commies in the area? HMU

Can you do an effort-post on what the various left groupings are up to activism-wise?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Community Organizing Today in Corona / East Elmhurst

quote:

Dr. Premilla Nadasen, Associate Professor of History at Barnard College, will lead a panel discussion on contemporary activism in the Corona/East Elmhurst area. Issues to be explored include the organizing of domestic workers and recent immigrant communities.

Got this in an email from Queens Library.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/NickReisman/status/839230489080778753

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Apparently Cuomo supports restricting prison visits in Maximum Security prisons to 3 days a week instead of the current 7. Here's a petition urging him to reverse that.

If anyone has further ideas on how to combat this measure please let me know, I'll be happy to take further action.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

goose willis posted:

I'm sorry friend but change.org petitions are more or less worthless and are solely used for virtue signalling via Facebook shares

Also good luck getting Cuomo to change his mind on that because he probably wants to appear "tough on crime" for his planned 2020 run

I'm aware, but that link contains some good information and people like to share those things so it seemed like successful agitprop to me.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Haven't had time to read the whole thing yet but there's a piece up at N+1 called "Lobby Day in Albany: Single Payer's Moment has Arrived in New York" with short pieces by a couple of writers.

Richard Beck posted:

With the inadequacies and cruelty of a privately run health insurance system now obvious to nearly everyone, what’s left in New York is the work of organizing. If no senator can be persuaded to change his vote to yes, then somebody will have to be voted out. On the bus home from Albany, one of the day’s organizers described the lay of the land. Senators from upstate are being scrutinized for vulnerabilities, chief among which might be the fact that political categories are currently quite unstable with respect to health care. Republican legislators should not expect their constituents to vote against a challenger who can realistically promise cheap health care for everyone. Organizers are also canvassing for potential candidates to challenge Republicans in the Long Island suburbs. One woman, a resident of Sunset Park, suggested organizing a campaign of community leaders to “essentially shame” her state senator. Though Simcha Felder was elected as a Democrat in the so-called “Super Jewish” 17th District—so called because it encompasses the Orthodox neighborhoods of South Brooklyn—he caucuses with the Republicans, robbing the Democratic Party of a Senate majority they earned at the polls.
Some, all, or none of these tactics might work, but I’m betting against “none.” Everything I saw and heard in Albany suggests that single payer’s moment has arrived in New York. It’s true that the state’s private insurers have yet to begin mounting their opposition to the bill, and when they do it will certainly make things difficult. But low turnout and a general lack of interest means that organizers and activists can have an outsize impact on state-level politics. Having never participated in state-level politics before, this seemed to me like a good time to start.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Is anyone ITT in favor of a constitutional convention?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
That was my sense as well. The unions are firmly against it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Can someone do an effortpost on the pros and cons of a convention or point me to some decent articles? I feel like it's gone underreported and I am not informed on this subject.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Thanks a ton, man. This is exactly what I was looking for.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
NKD's tenets are:

● Enact meaningful campaign finance reform to get big money out of our state and local politics.
● Close the LLC loophole that allows corporations to evade campaign contribution limits.
● Keep corrupt lawmakers convicted of defrauding the public from receiving taxpayer-funded pensions.
● Protect the right to vote by guaranteeing automatic voter registration, allowing online registration, and creating oversight mechanisms for state and local Boards of Election.
● Restore the right to vote to people involved in the criminal justice system.
● Adopt strict disclosure requirements for public officials, campaigns, and lobbyists.

Quoted verbatim from here.

Doesn't seem worth the risk to me at all.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
"A Principal Is Accused of Being a Communist, Rattling a Brooklyn School"

Unreal.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cross-posting from NYC thread:

Cuomo distances himself from the state-run MTA

quote:

Gov. Andrew Cuomo, following weeks of service failures in New York City's subways, told reporters Thursday that his responsibility for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority merely consists of appointing a few people to its board, a responsibility shared by Mayor Bill de Blasio and county executives across the state. The state-run authority, he said, is a "regional transportation system."

"I have representation on the board,” the governor said. “The City of New York has representation on the board, so does Nassau, Suffolk, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland, other counties, okay?”

But in reality, the governor controls the MTA nominating process and has more board representatives than anyone else in the state. He appoints its chairman and CEO.

:discourse::discourse::discourse::discourse::discourse::discourse::discourse::discourse::discourse:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Is there an acceptable candidate in the NJ Democratic primary for governor?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
What are the chances Preet runs against Cuomo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Daniel Dromm is my city council member.

Should I be backing someone else in the primary, preparing to throw away a third party vote, or is he okay.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

get that OUT of my face posted:

i can't imagine people outside of westchester and long island really feel one way or another about de blasio. i don't much care for him myself because he's a doofus and has completely abandoned his progressive economic vision for a couple of years now, but for some reason cuomo is obsessed with making sure he gets nothing and likes it

looking at where he represents, i'm not sure how a white guy like him got elected there. other than that i have zero idea about him

From what I can tell he's excellent on LGBT rights and education -- a pretty persistent ally to the teachers union, critic of charter schools / Bloomberg's education policies, proponent of universal Pre-K. Sounds pretty good to me.

Not sure how he is on police brutality or housing policy.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

CaptainPsyko posted:

P. Sure that post was about Dromm not BdB?

Correct. Still, good and useful post on BdB.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cuomo would play well in reliable Dem bastions like New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey but will need someone with red state experience to help him in other regions.

Cuomo-Manchin 2020 :getin:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/erinmdurkin/status/885176580305190912

come the gently caress on, man

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
This guy I knew was ON WELFARE and he was LAZY.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Likely. I also wouldn't use them as a public punching bag to advance reactionary politics.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol Joementum posted in this in the suck zone:

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/886643007914749955

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Clio Chang and Alex Shephard in the New Republic ~ How Andrew Cuomo Keeps the Left in Check: There is plenty of room to mount a progressive challenge against the Democratic governor. Why hasn't anyone stepped up?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Preet and Schneiderman were the big hopes -- although I guess even they are wildcards. They'd be better on "good governance" (aka anti-corruption) but no clue whether they hold progressive views on fiscal policy.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
A woman named Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is running against Crowley in the primary. It seems like she's still getting her poo poo together and I don't really know anything about her personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lmao holy poo poo