Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Aurubin posted:

What's the impetus for the growth of the IDC? I can understand a few breakaways depending on district, but with all the NYC ones I would think that would leave them vulnerable to primary challenges, especially in this now heated political climate. Or am I wrongly equating local and national politics?

From what I understand, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's fueled by the Democrats being so utterly terrible to that splitting off into their own block is an improvement even for those who are left-aligned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Romney was a better gov than our democratic govs though

Pretty much no dem in this state deserves an executive position

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Like MA would totally elect a Dem governor every time if the dems would put up decent candidates but lol

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

goose willis posted:

Just close off all access to Staten Island and ship all the prisoners there and in two hundred years we can come back and they'll all be eating Vegemite and punching out kangaroos

Doing it to Manhatten made a pretty good movie. Not his best work but still pretty good.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

MizPiz posted:

I'm currently working with Greenpeace on a campaign to get a plastic bag ban in New York City, and the wider state if possible. We're trying to figure out the best means to implement it (outright ban, a tax on it's use, etc.) and I'd love to get y'alls thoughts on what it should be and how it could be done. I know it's a bit more of a vanity initiative compared to other issues, but it's meant to get a local victory under our belt. Plus, the city alone uses 10 billion plastic bags anually, compared to 100 billion nationwide.

I've never understood plastic bag bans. It just means I have to buy my plastic bags separately instead. I guess it prevents the assholes letting their bags go flying outside though so in that way it's not bad. That's some pretty crazy numbers for NYC though, how do they actually use 10% of the nations plastic bags?

theflyingexecutive posted:

People think they reuse plastic bags a lot too, but it's a math problem. I could fit all of the garbage from a 6-bag (12 if they're doubled) grocery run in one bag and most other people can too, so you think you're reusing bags a lot and then forget the instances when you clean out under your sink and throw out the couple hundred remainders that have accumulated because you use a couple bags a week for garbage. The only people I know who run plastic bag deficits are dog walkers.

I can't recall ever throwing away plastic bags instead of using them unless they were like super badly damaged. Which admittedly isn't that uncommon.