Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Whether it would ban roger waters or not, it's a lovely bill.

This was my original point. I don't really care about the Roger Waters concert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://youtu.be/YauJVdK8GPI

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

KomradeX posted:

So did anyone hear about this

http://nydn.us/2uMAGVy

of course her name is Becky. :lol:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

gobbagool posted:

what should upstaters do? wait for GE and Chevy to hire in Schenectady and Tonawanda again? as long as the economic fate of upstate is dictated by the whims of the City, there won't be any big new factory built, or anything that would bring any large number of jobs in. I mean the proof is in the pudding, anywhere I travel in south and west I meet people from upstate.

I'm sorry, what?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Grondoth posted:

Build our own drat factories as a large scale effort in creating hubs of renewable energy across the country.

More importantly, Trump said he cared about these places, that he cared about the forgotten men and women of this country. Yeah no poo poo he didn't, he's a real estate developer from new york city; but that populist message moved people. This is the clearest signal possible that he didn't.

I forgot gobbagool is the dipshit upstate/downstate warrior.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

gobbagool posted:

oh yeah and you're queens rage boy who has never been north of Westchester. this isn't that complex. NYS is ruled by NYC.

show your work please because if that was the case the MTA would be fully funded and modernized.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Grondoth posted:

Look at the places that are rich and well kept.

They have power.

Look at the places that are destitute and ignored.

They do not. It's that simple.

if this is the measuring stick then there are large swathes of the city that have zero power.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Grondoth posted:

Yes

That's what I was gettin' at

fair enough. the upstate downstate rivalry is still really loving dumb. both sides gently caress each other over equally.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

gobbagool posted:

Why does NYC keep electing governors who screw the city? If NYC decided that they wanted some DSA candidate, not much upstate could do about it

The DSA hasn't really put anyone forth yet and they're focusing on more local govt right now. Like I posted earlier with El Yateem in Brooklyn. The Working Families Party (which is how I vote when given the opportunity) would be the ones to watch on challenging Cuomo from the left, but he's also tried his hardest to gently caress them over too. He's a shitstain so you'll get no argument from me there. And personally I prefer a governor who helps the whole state, not just NYC.

One of the problems with what Cuomo is doing in raiding the MTA coffers is that it's not a thing that only he has done. It should be in a lockbox, but he's too busy virtue signaling that he's going to fix the system by adding USB ports to a bus line in the bronx.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

GalacticAcid posted:

Wait, is it true that NY voters have to register by 10/13 to vote in the 2018 primaries?

yes. I got hosed out of voting for Bernie because of this.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

CaptainPsyko posted:

You have until 10/13 to change your party affiliation for the 2018 primaries.

New voters can register substantially later.

(Basically the way NY law is written, to vote in a primary, you must have been a registered member of the party in question during the previous general election.)

thanks, this is right. I was independent and then switched but it was too late.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Grondoth posted:

NYC already sold out to the banks decades ago.

*hypernomalisation music plays*

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

Wouldn't the names just be like existing ones, like "8th St NYU" or "Jay St. MetroTech"? Am I being too optimistic?

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/l-p-d-libertarian-police-department

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

MizPiz posted:

So was there any response to the white nationalists marching around Lower Manhattan or is this whole city as useless as the Dems?

everyone is too busy eating sheet cake.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I guess if it makes you feel any better, I haven't read anything about the NY march. everything seems to be Boston focused and they did a very good job there (the counter protest)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

italians will completely freak out if they try to take away columbus but they probably already vote republican anyway if they care that much.

i'll riot if they take away the school holiday without giving me something else tho

I need to rewatch that Sopranos episode.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

AJ did it.

https://youtu.be/O4xIjWgBEMU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ElYateem lost :(

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

majormonotone posted:

did either of our senators vote against the recent military budget bill

I'm assuming no?

I believe KG did, which is pretty shocking.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

gross

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Kithkar posted:

I get why the just the mechanics of the Convention mean its probably bad but goddammit, all the lawn signs and bumper stickers on Rich people's lawns and cars in Nassau bitching about higher taxes make me want to vote for it anyway in some small hope they have to pay more.

narrators voice "they won't"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

go Jabari go!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

get that OUT of my face posted:

at the very least, "dealmaking centrist" has been proven to go over like a lead balloon among voters and the dem frontrunners for 2020 are doing a much better job of jockeying to the left than cuomo, who sees no need for such frivolities. pretty lol to see his staffer snap back at de blasio for putting presidential ambitions at the forefront when her boss was in LA and SF for the same thing

I can't wait to leave the presidential section blank in 2020 when it's Kamala Harris or some other garbage centrist in leftist clothing like Obama.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

harris at least supports medicare for all, while cuomo has admitted through twitter likes that he does not

call me a lovely lefty, but gillibrand is making me take notice through outspoken support for medicare for all, $15 minimum wage, legal weed, and paid family leave. she is certainly doing better than cuomo and de blasio, who is too much of a doofus to run anything resembling an effective campaign. never mind that his first term campaign was proto-sanders

but we'll cross this bridge when we get there, hopefully cuomo gets shoved out of the way. not sure if miner is going to run against him or Katko

yeah I'll never trust Gillibrand and I think everything that comes out of her mouth is horseshit. once a blue dog, always a blue dog.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

good to see the leftist firing squad still keeping its barrels clean

fool me once

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

GalacticAcid posted:

I always wind up defending De Blasio when I'm around conservatives and bitterly denouncing him when I'm with liberals.

same.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

the people's republic of Vermont is right there and is a kickass state. I miss Burlington a lot.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

mrmcd posted:

Will Bernie give me a six figgie computer touching job? Because the commute from Vermont is pretty brutal.

move to Vermont and get a job with burton or something. there are a decent amount of tech jobs for you google tech bros up there.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

mrmcd posted:

TBH if I were to do the chill life in a semi-rural outdoorsey state thing it would probably be somewhere in mountain time zone.

for me it's close enough to my family in NY but gets me out from underneath the garbage that is the NY State govt. and Bernie would be my senator :3: instead of Chuck "let's build the wall" Schumer.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Thanks for the front-line reporting!

Meanwhile, progress in Albany?!

https://twitter.com/NickReisman/status/956833574447181824

A good start, next should be open primaries.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

CaptainPsyko posted:

New registrants can sign up a few weeks in advance of all elections.

To change parties and vote in a primary, you have to do it before the previous general election.

This is why registering as an independent in New York State is for idiots and dum dums and babies.
I'd argue the registration rules are loving terrible.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Sure, but the alternative is "all primaries open" which both the dems and the GoP absolutely do not want, less it threaten the entrenched two party system. So learn the rules of the game, and change it that way.

Registering as an independent or a green or whatever is dumb as gently caress.

it's another form of disenfranchising voters and it's dumb as gently caress. I don't need a tut tut to be able to express that? thanks though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I learned my lesson last summer. I'm still mad about it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

she's got my vote.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

if he's super for charter schools and deblasio was going to put him there then he deserves any poo poo he gets.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

cynthia nixon looks like she's gonna run in the democratic primary against cuomo. honestly, why the gently caress not? it's not like terry gipson's making any noise

it looks like she's a big advocate for public schools?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/972984267419594752
:3:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

i know i said this before in the thread, but every so often i wonder if andy being horrible at everything is an active form of rebellion against his father

Nah, he's just another failson

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/974401855768944640

I really REALLY hope she wins the primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

count me in.

https://twitter.com/JonCampbellGAN/status/975799514987712517