Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
"Luxury Condos" don't stay luxury for long. They are shoddily made and are only intended to last until the initial buy-in. After that the amount of upkeep etc required to keep them livable is comparable to rent in a brownstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

the black husserl posted:

if you thought the anti-de blasio narrative was powerful before, holy poo poo get ready for everyone and your mother to think BDB is the devil himself

cause he's going to try to tax the rich to pay for the subways (lmao)

after Uber showed that a minor media spend could completely trash a mayor, i dont think this has a snowballs chance of succeeding, but i do think it guarantees BDB getting hosed

There is no way this will pass any legislative body anywhere.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
One of the advantages of a ConCon would be forcing the MTA to be funded a minimum amount via state taxes. Also classifying all tax breaks as corruption.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yet more evidence that democrats are morally debased authoritarian cowards.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CaptainPsyko posted:

I'm honestly not bothered by corporate sponsored subway stations?

I mean, its Adopt-A-Highway for mass transit mostly. It's fine.

Let them sell their ads or a plaque honoring whatever corporate donor they want.

It's laughable that people think it will actually fix anything; but hey, if it raises 100m out of the billion needed, why say no?

In addition to what has been said here, it also makes the subway less convenient. Deducing where the 86th Street Station on the Lexington line is allows someone who is on the UES for some reason to easilly get to the subway station that is close by. Good luck remembering where the pantsonhead.com station off the Coca-Cola section of the American Airlines line is.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

Galaxy brain: public transit should be free at the point of consumption, and funded by progressive income tax.

I figure that was more of a "normal brain" take.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

KomradeX posted:

I don't get how people can see this poo poo and than day the cops get criticized too much and people just need to talk to them to understand them and their situation

They are under a lot of pressure, they are only human. you can't expect them to even know about, let alone follow, the law or entertain the idea of civil rights.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
:rolleyes:

Oh no! Great man theory of history isn't 100% accurate, time to engage in full-blown iconoclasty and destroy all history.

I'm so woke!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

uncurable mlady posted:

nuclear take detected

It's only a "nuclear take" if you have no concept of the fact that human history is made up of humans.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CaptainPsyko posted:

Forget Columbus, the real fireworks will come if and when someone can make the Grant's Tomb bullshit stick.

You thought statuefights were bad, people are actively proposing that the remains of a former president be disinterred and removed from the city.

Sorry, but Grant was no angle, therefore he must be erased from history.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

he was no angel.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

KomradeX posted:

So I've been getting these in the mail before the Primary on the 12th. This is for Staten Islands North Shore district

I can't think how anyone could thing they would win the Democratic primary by showing how close they are to the cop unions even on Staten Island of all places, which worships loving cops, but your still looking to get Dem voters

well New York dems are cop worshipping trash, so I think she is probably fine.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

KomradeX posted:

Jesus that's rough, how this city gets the worst Democrat's I'll never understand. Though I guess for those areas being the way they are the Council is about to get actual Republicans from outside of Staten Island (not that Democrats that act like them are any better)

http://www.vote.nyc.ny.us/downloads/pdf/documents/boe/2017PrimaryElection/PrimaryContestList_8_9.2017RW2.pdf

Well do your part, there is the list of candidates on the primary ballot. Research the ones in your district, don't let incumbency be a shield.

Alternatively: http://whosontheballot.org

But I assume it's futile because whoever wins will quickly be approached with $$$$ offers they can't refuse.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 06:14 on Sep 6, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rated PG-34 posted:

green party is so dum. why are they running two candidates for council member of the same loving district.

The greater question is what kind of dum dum registered for the green party in a solid blue city? In the general you can still vote for your JO Crystal candidate, but before you do that, maybe you could help steer the party who is going to win to be more progressive?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, what kind of Green Party voter is also incredibly dumb? That's a tough one for sure

:discourse:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

get that OUT of my face posted:

he said that the Green Party matches with his values more than the Dems but i'm not sure if he's just saying that

one thing that people forget about Cumbo: she doesn't like Jews and Asians. i'd hate her even if i didn't think she was being completely insincere about the armory

Was it specifically "jews and asians" that she didn't like, or was it the AIPAC and some Chinese PAC she didn't like? Or maybe the insular Asian and Jewish landlord's she had harsh words for? Because all of the above are pieces of poo poo who you shouldn't shield with accusations of racism even if she wasn't specific enough in her condemnations. There is a huge, politically significant difference.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CaptainPsyko posted:

Okay, so first of all, "Jewish landlords" aren't special and different or worse than any other landlords. So yeah, calling that out is pretty loving vile, and you shouldn't need to resort to racism to condemn them and trying to shield racists with progressive economics because they were too specific in their condemnations is bad.

Also, in her case specifically, you can google ""Laurie Cumbo" "Knockout Game"" to see just how off the deep end she is.

As for Asians, it's the opposite of the landlord class - instead she's publicly mused about "why are there so many Asians in public housing - and all in the same blocks!!?!?!???"

I get it, "not all landlords." Thanks for the mild-take.

As far as Laurie Cumbo, I don't know what her position is, maybe she uses (((parenthesis))) in her twitter handle, but maybe she gets painted with the anti-Semitic brush because she didn't take a strong enough stand against the BDS (or worse maybe she actually supports it! :ohdear: ). Maybe she is one of those self-loathing racists for saying that knocking people out randomly is bad. Sound bytes are dangerous because they lack context.

In fact just a cursory google search for the terms you have provided doesn't even give the original "outrage." It's all back-tracking and pearl-clutching about how she is "obviously" anti-semitic and racist, I'm done with that poo poo. Show me some actual bona fide racist policies that she, a black council-woman from Brooklyn supports, or stop throwing shade.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

PowerCrazy posted:

. . . Jewish landlords . . .

CaptainPsyko posted:

Okay, so first of all, "Jewish landlords"

Oh looks like I already covered that and you agreed, so I guess your outrage was misplaced to begin with.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Hey if she's already got affordable housing under construction that's pretty drat good.

heh

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Real hurthling! posted:

Sharptons daughter stole a cab drivers keys, threw them away and got physical with him when he complained?
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ashley-sharpton-arrested-allegedly-attacking-cab-driver-article-1.3482542

Strange news day.

Child of privilege treating the working class like poo poo? Wow, who would have thought?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

KomradeX posted:

So is there a god run down on the Mayoral Candidates? I still reflexively defend DeBlasio but that's just because the republicans around me hate that he has mix raced kids

I'll probably vote for Sal Albanese, but I'm not too upset with BdB, so when he inevitably wins, i'll be ok with it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah my union said its doom to collective bargaining and pensions

Why not organize your union with other unions across the state and put into the new constitution mandatory collective bargaining and pensions?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

grah posted:

The unions' political analysts seem to think that we will lose that fight. I mean, we can probably expect the convention to be slightly tilted towards Democrats, so, we'll have an argument between rabidly anti labor Republicans and sort of blithely pro corporate Democrats. That's not a something capital-L Labor is going to enjoy.

Edit: I mean I desperately want to be optimistic and think we could do well out of a constitutional convention but given that there is not actually an active pro-labor party in this state, it doesn't seem like this is a great time. Virtually no one in my union trusts Democrats to represent the interests of working people at this point.

Well they shouldn't trust democrats, but given the unique man-power and cooperation that unions have, and they way that each county sends a representative to the convention, you don't really need to depend on either party to represent your interests at a Con-Con. You guys can do it yourselves!

And while you are at it you can put Ranked-choice instant run-off in the new constitution so that the two-party system in New York State politics is dismantled.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

What does the delegate selection process even look like

Off the top of my head, each county in the state gets 1 delegate which will be elected in the general election in 2018. Not sure what the qualifications are for being on the ballot, I assume it's collecting X number of signatures like current ballot access works.

grah posted:

Pretty sure the math on that one county one vote also fucks us. Hamilton County and its 4300 residents will have as much power as Kings County and its 2.5 million residents. It might be bad. Can Labor carry 32/62 counties? Almost certainly not. Can right to work gently caress you got mine republicans? Quite possibly.

Well surely there are labor unions up in Hamilton County, if there aren't why not? Why not organize some outreach? What about other counties in the state? Albany, etc etc.

If you assume everything is bad and will always be bad, and do nothing to change it even when given the opportunity, then guess what, you've created a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Oh and here is a graphic:

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Sep 14, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Real hurthling! posted:

de blasio announced all buildings must be green by 2030 or face fines equal to 2xsq. ft. of the building in dollars per year.

get ready for some insane landmarks fights.

Awesome. Now we just need a 100% vacancy tax. As in for every vacant unit you own, you pay tax equal to the rent you are trying to charge if it stays vacant.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The concon is easier then waiting around to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxPQfx6UWiA

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I'm sure she will be able to get it postponed, it's not a big deal.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The status quo reigns supreme. Things cant get better, so it makes no sense to risk anything.

I disagree of course, but I feel like that is the position being argued.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There are three ballot measures on the back of the ballot this year. Two of them are constitutional amendments arrived at using the regular process. One of those would allow judges to remove pensions from public officials indicted on corruption charges. Seems better than the status quo to me, and no convention was needed.

I feel like removing pensions, even if "deserved," is ultimately a conservative aka, bad, position.

e: One of the most important aspects of a pension, is that they should be absolute. If you can take them away, you undermine a lot of their benefit and their support. Throw people in prison for doing bad things, but any earned pensions should be protected.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 06:37 on Nov 4, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ogmius815 posted:

Everything in life is a cost benefit analysis. you weigh the risks against the expected rewards. when you consider the risks of a constitutional convention (loving over unions, education, God only knows what else) it turns out that they are much, much more likely outcomes than the thing progressives who support the convention want to do. most progressives want to unfuck Albany by changing he senate, but most delegates will be elected from senate districts and the at-large delegates may well be in violation of federal law. Reasonable people look at the situation and conclude that the risks are too great to justify the slim chance of fixing the senate.

lol violation of federal law, get the gently caress out of here.

Ogmius815 posted:

well you're really dumb then. it doesn't follow from "the status-quo is bad" that "we should take any risk to improve the status quo".
What "risks" are you willing to take to improve the status-quo, you personally? I'm sure you vote for the incumbent everytime, (assuming you vote at all of course) and you are against any possible criticism of the Democratic party, so how exactly do you and people like you help anything?

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Nov 4, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But let's accept that this is a bad move. A ConCon will potentially create many better ones, the delegates choosing them elected on midterms, and the yeas and naes counted on a off-year.
ftfy

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ogmius815 posted:

no for real. I don't think we can elect the at-large delegates as is.

As long as the voting system is fair, i.e. everyone gets a vote and they aren't excluded by unconstitutional means, the actual positions being voted on don't matter. If everyone in the state can vote for the 15 at-large delegates, there is no problem there.

What exactly would be a violation of federal law about at large delegates and why wasn't it a problem in 1967?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Why isn't property tax an option?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Agreed.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
oh yea very “controversial,” police can’t trample roughshod over people they interact with in the affordable parts of the city. how awful.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Grondoth posted:

If the dems in suburbs around here don't run on "these fuckers raised your taxes" I'll die

The only people seeing a direct hit immediately are henrys in blue states

If dems are running on fiscal responsibility how is that any better ?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

Anybody familiar with this? It seems really awful, this is the first I’ve seen about it.

https://twitter.com/LeavittAlone/status/946461135318016001

Why are politicians such trash? (it's bribes, but ugh)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
anecdotally two coworkers of mine both drive in to work in the west village fairly often, from somewhere in queens and nearish Crown Heights.

I think they are idiots.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
At U Texas in Austin, freshmen got preference for dorms, and food etc was included as part of the costs. It was still more expensive then living off campus, but it's a good "half-way house" for people living on their own for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Matt Zerella posted:

I'd argue the registration rules are loving terrible.

Sure, but the alternative is "all primaries open" which both the dems and the GoP absolutely do not want, less it threaten the entrenched two party system. So learn the rules of the game, and change it that way.

Registering as an independent or a green or whatever is dumb as gently caress.