Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I scrolled along the map to the town on long island where I grew up and there's a neat little line between the blue & orange dots and that line is literally the train tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

get that OUT of my face posted:

some details are already out and they suck. that post op-ed i posted does a shockingly good rundown

here's a rundown of possible challenges to IDC members across the state. klein and savino aren't going anywhere, and as much as i'd love to see richardson take down hamilton i doubt she'll run. i don't see carlucci getting a challenge either

the remaining four will get somebody. i'd love to see Miner (who has no love for Cuomo) take on Valesky

i notice that article doesn't mention simcha felder. Hasn't he had no primary / general opposition for years? Is his seat impossible to take or what?

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
Is there a definitive list of "why Cuomo sucks"? My impression is that he's started talking a big game about being "progressive", but has a history of only supporting garbage half-measures at best. I don't actually remember anything specific to back this up.

same for schumer

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
i grew up in suffolk county. there are good people but also a fuckload of fox news dentists and fygm finance types so you either get a deece democrat (like Tim Bishop, who was Ny-1 congressman for a decade) or complete loving batshit republicans.

I think there are some racial aspects of it too. IIRC Suffolk is one of the most segregated and unequal areas of the country and it's really blatant. For example: there were like 2 black kids in my high school of ~400. other schools we competed in sports against were the opposite. Our school spent a billion dollars on a brand new rubber track and football field and tennis courts. Black schools we competed against had a dirt track or nothing at all. :thunk:

Imo, living in that level of segregation and inequality makes people even more racist. the ms13 poo poo probably plays really well there.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
also, every year we had school sprit week where each day would have a different theme for stuff to wear or display like "purple hat day" or whatever. one year, we had a "ghetto day", where everybody showed up in like du-rags and gold chains. This was an official school sanctioned event and even the teachers participated.

white enclaves on long island can be pretty ignorant and racist

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
i got to yell at cuomo to his face today. it was good

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
Voted for Adem. I kinda doubt he'll win but hey.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
Zellnor was canvassing at the Franklin Ave stop this morning and I shook his hand, I hope he wins.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

CaptainPsyko posted:

Vacancy decontrol is a mechanism that scumbag landlords use to take properties off of rent control. It incentivized landlords to neglect basic maintenance and care for their properties in hopes of driving tenants out, and encourages a host of harassment and intimidation tactics, as well as more above board strategies like tenant buyouts where large stacks of cash get thrown around. The end result of this is that there is less rent controlled property in the city every time vacancy decontrol is used.

Preservation of existing affordable housing is just as, if not more, important than the creation of new affordable housing.

Yeah 100% this. This is happening in my building right now. Any time a tenant vacates, management guts the apartment and replaces everything with the most overpriced bullshit they can find. For example: a bathroom sink with an electromagnetic hand sensor. Who needs that?

A portion of every dollar they spend on 'improvements' gets applied as a rent increase on the unit in perpetuity. There's also no accountability in this. The owner can claim they spent $1,000 dollars on a new toilet seat, and increase the rent by $100/mo or whatever. There's no tenant to fight back, so the owners claim is unchallenged.

In my building, they're now using 'major capital improvements' to increase the rent. It's similar to above, but applies to the entire building. They claim to have spent ~$700,000 replacing an elevator, a boiler, and repointing the front brickwork. Again, they are incentivized to spend (or claim to have spent) as much as possible, because the cost is entirely passed on to tenants. Even after tenants have paid for these improvements (basic maintenance really), their rent is permanently increased.

I'm more pissed off about it than usual. The owner risks nothing. They're guaranteed to be fully paid back by law, and I'm sure they get a loan for the up front costs. So the end result is a bank gets paid, the owner gets paid, tenants get hosed.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
Are IAI and MCI changes included in those 9 bills?

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

get that OUT of my face posted:

yes. one of them eliminates permanent MCI rent increases entirely and another prevents IAI abuse towards vacant apartments

Dope. Our building is currently fighting an MCI - the owner is claiming ~$600,000 on replacing a broken boiler, replacing a broken elevator, and repointing brickwork. Will the changes help us at all, or are we boned because the improvements are grandfathered in or something?

They also used IAI to increase the legal rent of my unit when the previous tenant moved out. The old legal rent was $800. Now it's $3,200 because they did the standard faux-luxury renovation during the vacancy. I kinda assume this unit is a lost cause, but it would be nice if the owner wasn't incentivised to keep doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

Proposal 1: make it a felony to run from the cops.
Proposal 2: make it a felony to not run from the cops
Proposal 3: stop resisting
Proposal 4: make it a felony to touch a cop
Proposal 5: make it a felony to sneeze on a cop
Proposal 6: saying "pig" is an extra felony
Proposal 7: adrian schoolcraft goes to jail again and we get to personally take his money this time
Proposal 8: make it a felony to film a cop
Proposal 9: i repeat: no cameras
Proposal 10: injured cops get $500k
Proposal 10: May 15 is dead cop day

im in favor of the second proposal 10 but the rest don't sound so great