Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GalacticAcid posted:

i think the metoo thing killed stringer

It definitely did, if only because it prompted virtually all his endorsers to publicly denounce him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the article makes it sound like general dickishness, he's doing this because the Senate stood up to him over MTA reform

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So what progressive goal do we get now to make this go away

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VideoKid posted:

what are the odds that Cuomo resigns?

zero. he's learned that if you stay obstinate longer than they stay outraged, you win

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lumpentroll posted:

wasn't the reason they gave for not impeaching him already that they didn't want to need republican votes

Everyone decided to wait for the investigation rather than taking a stand, but expect a fresh round of calls for impeachment within the next few hours

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Found in the USNews thread: https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2021/08/03/heres-how-impeachment-works-in-new-york-1389410

TLDR: Majority vote in the Assembly, followed by a vote of the Senate plus the Court of Appeals minus the Senate majority leader, of which 2/3 must vote to convict. And on slightly murky legal ground because a NY governor has not been impeached since 1913 (in a scandal whipped up by Tammany Hall to get rid of him)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:rip:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Yeah it's weird, the first 3/4 of the speech really seemed like it was leading up to "...and that's why I won't bow to the woke sjw mob" but nope

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it also crammed a weird "prisoners vote in their home county" measure that I mostly could not loving make sense of. because prisoners not being counted in the place where they are incarcerated is what leads to lovely compounding bad treatment of prisoners!!

It also leads to those places having outsize power because mass incarceration is literally packing votes into their district

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got one of the standard mailers. The ballot propositions start on page 40, after the list of every candidate for every office citywide

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://gothamist.com/news/how-new-york-democrats-lost-battle-over-voting-rights-ballot-proposals-2021

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Matt Zerella posted:

Yang would probably take this crypto poo poo even further. Blockchain storage for test grades and NFT report cards.

The entire city workforce would get paid in bitcoin

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can only hope at this point that when Adams implodes he doesn't take ranked choice voting with him

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So the only lesson anyone is going to take from this is that it's a mistake to voluntarily resign

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
also maybe don't let private equity buy old power plants and use them to mine crypto

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What is this "a rule that an agency can only hire one worker after two have left"? That's an incredibly stupid rule but it only gets mentioned at the beginning of the article and never expanded on

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I didn't know you were allowed to vote present on committees

In Training posted:

He's going to get binned by the committee right? The question is just how far hochul is willing to fight the statehouse next. State Senate has been adamant that a vote of the full chamber would be totally out of line and she wants to sue them over it, which would what, go to state court? Who would ever preside over that kind of question, considering it would be sent to the very same chair that is causing the split. The Dems are a mess

In a perfect world the courts would refuse to take this case as they don't have jurisdiction over the internal proceedings of the legislature. In this world, who knows

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
…they already did a full chamber vote? Is this an order to hold it again? Do they think it will go differently this time?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

drat that was a long, protracted struggle for the app drivers, that sucks that it got immediately hamstrung

It should not be a surprise to anyone that the app companies are going to try every alternative to paying the drivers more before actually doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Mayor of NYC is also not historically a good stepping stone to anywhere else, so anyone with prospects or ambition will avoid it

haveblue has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Aug 8, 2023