Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

smart home would becool if it was like motion sensors and automatic doors

instead we get monthly subscriptions and hubs to work with other hubs so we can turn on a light bulb from a phobe

well that's the problem with most people's home "automation" efforts. they don't actually automate anything. they just move switches to somewhere less convenient. takes a lot of time, effort, money and tweaking to actually automate something as simple as lighting. I had many motion and pir sensors and a nest of node-red flows just to handle lighting alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

mediaphage posted:

my ecobee and hue stuff is cool and good sorry bout the rest of y’all.

we definitely take advantage of automation for the hue stuff. plant shelf lights come on automatically in the morning with a gledopto controller, under cabinet lighting goes to super dim red at night to act as a nightlight, fish tank lights turn on and off automatically, and the bathroom has a motion sensor to turn the light in for you (which is set to super dim at night then back to more normal levels the rest of the day)

it’s great and was very easy to set up with a couple schedules in the app

when you actually automate like this, it’s a help and not a hindrance

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

The Management posted:

I just use a light switch

that's absolutely better than "automation" that moves the switch to your phone. it's not better than actual properly implemented automation*

*except when you leave that place and go to a friends house or hotel room or whatever and entirely forget that light doesn't follow presence at appropriate warmth and brightness, and that temperature is a thing you have to might have to think about

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

infernal machines posted:

i have a mechanical timer switch for the grow lights. that's a form of automation

an entirely appropriate and useful one

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Steve is rolling in his grave

great another thing to annoy me about other people’s home screens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i got a sarnsung galaxy S24+ to replace my S10+ because sarnsung stopped releasing OTA updates for it. i can't tell what's new it's exactly the same as the last one, phones are a scam!

username + phone choice combo