Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Zamujasa posted:

wasn't the whole point of the nest thing to be "learning" (even though nobody loving constantly fucks with the thermostat constantly)

like what differentiates the new one from one of the other fifty billion "smart" thermostats

theoretically i think they were like "when you go to work your house will automatically reduce its energy use by making it very uncomfortable to be in vis-à-vis the outdoor temperature" but a) nobody really cares b) you can set that literally once in any modern smart or dumb thermostat and c) lol nobodys going anywhere for a while so wtfever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LastInLine posted:

afaict its still the only non ugly thermostat

ecobees dont look too bad imo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Management posted:

nest literally exists because Tony Fadell wanted his Tahoe cabin to be warm when he arrived there.

and they say rich people don't give the world anything

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LastInLine posted:

lol no they look terrible its a dumb misshapen black blob and the nicest thing you can say is that the temperature font is unoffensive but the iconography and touch controls look like something out of a toyota

that said its certainly a better smart thermostat than the nest in every way except aesthetically

ok but the comparison wasn't the nest so much as every other thermostat out there which are uniformly terrible looking for the most part

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah. it actually might be a bit of a reaction to their catastrophic foray into (barely) running actual android on whatever their foldable was called.

imo the biggest problem with the surface duo is that it’s a pda and not a phone and they were unwilling to market it like that. for that matter i dunno if there’s a market for that these days since people can just buy tablets.

tbh i kind of want one but lol $

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

except according to all the reviews it's also just awful at being a tablet/pda too. like, nothing about it runs well or is properly designed for the form factor, and then you have the usual android jank under that

fair although my needs are pretty limited. i’d like a two page e reader tbh and not two columns with a ton of margins. xcloud, web browsing. maybe emulators. kind of all i’d use an android device for.

they really should have built up better business software for it outside of office though admittedly i couldn’t tell you what that would look like.

typical microsoft tho, iffy software but great hardware.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

that’s not a need, and you can get that with nearly any tablet in landscape mode.

lmao go gently caress yourself

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao i forgot that existed like five minutes after the press release

i bet they sold some really embarrassing number of them, like a few hundred or something at the most

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

lol no they don't

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

it's conundrum that there's apparently some huge demand for "smart" home things but nobody can make a sustainable business out of it except for like philips and crestron [amazon doesn't count since it's a heavily subsidized part of their business]

it's because nobody has made them super easy to use yet. philips is successful because it mostly just works, and it's not some one app trying to run your whole house: it's an app for lights, so it's easy to grok

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

there isnt any actual demand for iot stuff. its all dads buying poo poo they see on the news and then getting bored with it a few days after it arrives. its great for a bunch of initial purchases, but terrible for customer retention.

there are only a handful of dedicated nerds who want to try to make it work and they're not enough to sustain a business

eh, depends on the thing, i think. the hue stuff is popular. wireless outlets are pretty popular. i'm not sure what else i'd say is actually popular. smart doorbells like ring, maybe? smart speakers, i guess.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

i wanted a normal wired motion sensor for some outdoor lights and noticed all the midrange philips bulbs are sold out so theyre probably gifted quite a bit to people. id also guess they recommend them a lot as an alexa accessory to push integration

im sure the really terrible knockoff bulbs are sold out too. you can tell the cutoff in cost vs. adoption because the full range color bulbs are in stock everywhere

realistically, half the use for them are what a motion sensor or dimmer switch, normal bulbs, and some wiring would do 3 decades ago, so im guessing the convenience is probably the motivator

probably although i don’t see the problem with that. they’re also a great option for renters.

i like them mostly for the colour tuning, gently caress cool lights at night. oranges and reds baybee

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

oh im right there with you, which is why i was checking them. im a big fan of warm evening lighting and crisp daylight at the appropriate hours, especially after having cfl bulbs

philips has nailed the market so well, its almost unfair. the only thing I'd like to see is a push for brighter light ranges, but otherwise they seem like the most capable smart lighting maker

to keep it google, i tried to see if they ever made an attempt at smart lighting but, somehow, no? its a bit unbelievable they didnt try to buy and run into ruin a lighting company

yea i agree, it seems like right up the nest division's alley?

it seems like the only thing that is a true nest product update vs a rebadge are the doorbell and security camera(s)?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

wiki posted:

android-based trash
redundant

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

my android/google pay experience is tried to use it to pay a coworker once. the javascript page had 2 fields, whole dollars and cents and the only way to get the cursor to focus on the cents portion was to press the '.' key on your keyboard, but not the '.' key on the numpad, that would result in a '.' character placed into the dollars field which was invalid and still wouldn't let you put cents in

lmao perfect distillation of google experience

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

is there an android version of chumby? I just want a small screen for my nightstand I can use as a clock and install sonos controller on

e: not amazon or google hardware

this sounds like the only legitimately useful use case for loving widgets

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

I'm probably going to end up just getting a generic android phone with wireless charging + a stand and physically disabling the mic and cameras

i'd go with an android tablet, to be honest. appliance is a reasonable use for those since they're terrible at almost everything else (oled android tablets are amazing for reading in bed at night though). i know you said no amazon hardware but if it's one of the ones you can throw another rom on it might be worthwhile since they're cheap af.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

I'm probably going to use a 8" fire in the charging stand as the music display in my living room but I wanted something smaller for my bedroom given that it will be less than a foot from my face, I was hoping for a phone sized screen but nobody makes those

I might try to get an ebay ipod touch

not a bad option but id definitely try and get whatever the most recent iteration is.

there are a lot of android phones of reasonable size that must be pretty cheap by now if it matters though. an older sony, maybe?

probably not worth the cost/trouble ratio, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

why don’t you just get an echo show qirex it’s exactly what you are asking for

how well do those work if you block any and all connections to amazon at say a router level

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’ve managed to keep my us number in canada for years and years now because google accidentally opened up canadian voice signups only through activation via the android app for like a week.

i think i read that it’s just available now to sign up tho?

voice was always one of the most frustrating services for me because it’s like they went so far to making such a useful thing and just...let it flounder for years? (i know. google.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

it was originally a separate company (GrandCentral) that google bought and then did little with.

right right i remember it being grand central now that you mention it

lol god imagine how much better it would have gotten, continually evolving as its own company

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

butt dickus posted:

it's' a virtual phone number that lets me call and text, what else do i need it to do. i don't even know what my carrier phone number is because i never use it

for one the mobile ui was GARBO for years and years

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Last Chance posted:

It’s pretty funny how the google voice mobile app languished for years and years because it was Not the preferred new google chat app, but it was still the most useful one.

honestly i wonder if kids these days are writing theses on how terrible googles decisions are with this sort of schizophrenic app/service switchery

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The_Franz posted:

don’t you need an existing north american number to get a google voice number?

no. or you never did but i haven’t had to sign up for a new one in years. in the beginning you could even pick your number by submitting repeated digits.

you need a number for the porting stuff to work but otherwise it can just be used as an internet phone.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

I'd like to imagine he got choke-slammed by google's legal team for trying to back out of a contract rather than caving in exchange for a free stadia t-shirt and keychain

i don't think either happened, i think it was all performative to make sure google unblocked his accounts because changing everything, including youtube, would be a bitch

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

that isn’t performative, it’s just simple negotiating. no account, no game. seems pretty simple.

hopefully he got some money out of it too

i guess? but negotiation is something between the two parties, this was a performance to generate publicity for the negotiation

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Management posted:

that’s a common negotiating tactic. generating bad press for companies sensitive to it is leverage

no poo poo? none of this means that the action isn't performative, which is typically perceived as an action designed to bolster image

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sb hermit posted:

I would almost be willing to keep my pixel 3a over getting an iphone se once my contract expires because of the call screen thing.

i dunno if you take a lot of unknown calls but now ios has a feature that mutes any number not in your contact list

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sb hermit posted:

Serious talk. Is this in the options that you can set in the settings app? (because ios keeps many app settings in the settings app.) My dad had dozens upon dozens of blocked numbers due to spam and we had to clear all of it because no one could reach him. Simply keeping the unknown calls silent would help a lot more.

yes. settings —> phone

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i can imagine this being useful for them in terms of being used to greater and lesser extent not just in phones but whatever else dumb home products they make.

i am skeptical about how different it's actually going to be vis a vis exynos but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

that sort of poo poo doesn't bother me. i'd still love a secondary phone with android (strictly by necessity since there'd be no other os for it) that has one of sony's phatty 1-inch sensors on it. basically an rx100 that can browse the web, though in the interest of thinning it out i'd be fine with a prime lens

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

the closest you'll get to that is those weird clip-on deals they did a few years back

the front element of a lens typically needs to be at least the size of the senor area away from it, just buy a rx100 or a ricoh gr and keep them in your pocket

i actually have one of each, the first revamped gr and the first rx100. i really liked the idea of those floating units, but they were just too slow in practice in terms of pairing and getting the screen on and such. i'd want something that managed to have the speed of the camera system with a nice big display and generalized smart features.

anyway there are rumours floating about their new imx800 being a so-called 1-inch sensor. i'm not expecting the performance of either of those other cameras, esp the gr, since the lenses will no way be as good, but it should be interesting nonetheless.

would be cool if their upcoming xperia launch had it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao lenovos new "gaming" phone

loving big rear end cooling fan on the back to cool it down despite i'm sure offering worse perf than the last several iphones

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

quote:

Google is now informing Fi users who receive text messages through Hangouts that messages sent to them may have gone missing between March 31st and April 5th. The company said there was a service “interruption” that impacted “a small number of people.” Google says it has now resolved the issue and is sending through the delayed messages. Missing messages should appear in Hangouts by the end of today, April 7th.

Google has now disabled texting from Hangouts
Fi users have for years been able to send and receive calls and messages through Hangouts, but Google announced plans years ago to strip those features out as it transitioned Hangouts into yet another Google communications app. The features appear to have been disabled within the last week.

But the interruption occurred before the service was fully shut down, and so Google is still working to patch the delayed messages through to Hangouts. A Google spokesperson confirmed the service interruption to The Verge and said affected users are being contacted. SMS messages will be delivered to Messages by Google or another default messaging app going forward.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

anyone mentioned how google moved the menu shortcut in the play store app from the top left corner, where it has been for maybe a decade, to the top right corner? i cannot fathom why they have done this. they know it's confused the poo poo outta people because they put pop-up notifications in the app advising that it's moved.

i wonder if this is in response to other trends; ime it seems like most apps lately have been putting it in the upper right. which i hate but mostly just because i’m a lefty

googles biggest ui complaint for me is the create new email button in the web gmail client. i have to think and search for it every loving time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

those sorts of ui changes are worthwhile imo despite some growing pains but only if they’re actually stable in their new positions because the long-term impact is a net win but lol google

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

that’s because you’re using lovely onion rings

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’m actually kind of boring when it comes to burgers. bacon cheese or a black and bleu are as crazy as i tend to get. and a thin soft bun, gently caress all of these gourmet~~~~ burgers that are on hard bread that you can’t fit in your mouth without unhinging your goddamned jaw

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i mean i don't think slop or trash-tier meat is either fair or accurate in many cases. it's just the trend, like those dumb loving bloody mary cocktails that have a million sides stuck on a straw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

i place the blame for brioche buns squarely on making food more insta-friendly

brioche buns are fine though. good brioche is soft and squishable, and not size dependent for that matter. though i get your point.

the worse is when i see poo poo shoved into a crusty ciabatta roll