Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

i think it's just the app stuff they paid the tv makers etc to put on. all that content will still be available afaict.

Shaggar posted:

rip to yet another goog service i had never heard of before

you probably just don't remember but this was how they sold all their video content before rebranding all that stuff inside of the play store

Anne Frank Funk posted:

just assume that any combination of google + noun is a discontinued/soon to be discontinued service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well they don’t have any other book sales app do they? that at least probably makes them a net positive amount of dollars vis a vis its development time.

i actually use it as my ereader on my android tablet because it syncs uploaded epubs but lol at buying something from them

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

the content will be but it may not help much if the devices don't have apps to play it, tbh it's unclear if they will

this doesn't make it right but there's probably like 15 people it will serious affect

and if they complain loud enough they'll probably get a discount on a roku or random google device to replace it

i feel like most of the affected devices probably have youtube as well

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

unpopular opinion but wave was ahead of its time

not helped by googles general schizophrenic approach to product management tho

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

the google play book store will eventually be relaunched under the name google reader, angering everybody

too soon

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

slice it in half

you'll feel like a turbo weener for the four seconds it'll take you to touch your hamburger with utensils, and a fuckin genius for hte rest of the meal as you eat your tasty burger with your normal human mouth, without anything exploding

are you saying to slice both burger and bun in half horizontally

because otherwise one of these would still be too thick to fit in your mouth even if it’s in two pieces now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

google actually premiered that feature with latitude years ago and like most early and unusual google stuff it was great so they killed it.

but fmf when it came out was a great replacement.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

butt dickus posted:

it's built-in to maps now

unless they've made a recent update though it's not nearly as useful or as responsive. the last time i tried it half the time it just didn't work and about half the rest would be delayed by up to several hours.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

an anroid tablet review

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

honestly i think it looks great

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

microsoft consistently puts out interesting hardware that is often let down by mediocre software. i think a dual-screened device could be a great bridge between now and when foldable devices really work. but that thing is full of bugs. i still like the idea of it but it's still too much to spend on something i don't need at all

in re the pixel i'm all for people trying out new designs. i legit think it's pretty cool looking. third parties are going to make cases that flatten out the back so whatever most people won't even notice

do we even have solid numbers are how many pixel devices google actually sells?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it looks like the tweet you quote doesn't say that it's the final design. regardless the current leaks seem to be getting independent verification though there is still some question as to what the colours will be.

the pixel watch looks good too, though like with all these devices actual use will determine its worth

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol. no.

they pulled the stats for pixel-only apps because people were using those to estimate the sales volume. it was real bad.

not surprised

i imagine it might still be worth it for them to do on some level whether as a halo product for comparison or just as a reference standard, but lol.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

samsung looks at the surface duo and says "hold my beer"

this is objectively neat. but it’ll run android tablet apps so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also it’ll obviously cost like three grand or something stupid i’m sure. but this would be great to slip into a pocket and take if you wanted something to read on or whatever. don’t get me wrong i obvs read a lot on my phone but it’s for sure a worse experience than a larger display.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i have to imagine these are all solvable problems with some time;

in other words glad there are rich nerds who buy this nerd poo poo so that eventually i can get a good one from apple or whatever

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i imagine the hinge is probably a solved issue at this point; samsung's big problem (lol ok there are many but ykwim) was that they insist on doing an internally folded screen so they need something that can't close fully, leaving gaps on both sides.

versus something like huawei's design, which has an exterior screen at all times:

still a hinge, obviously, but it's less of an issue in terms of downsides

edit: $3425 CAD l allll mao

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 18, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

repiv posted:

but then the super soft plastic screen is on the outside where it's going to get destroyed

which is probably why huaweis newest folder has an internal screen like the samsungs

i had that in my original post but edited it out because i frankly wasn't sure which phone came first. either way i expect the scratches / plastic is a solvable issue eventually

The Management posted:

that’s not consistent with what we see from Google.

* they brought most of the development in-house, including buying hundreds of HTC engineers.
* they made their own SoC. that is very expensive, and isn’t cost effective unless you sell many millions.
* they were trying differentiating features that weren’t available to other OEMs
* they were charging premium phone prices on what was mostly midrange hardware

this is not how you make a reference product. google was trying to play in the big leagues. maybe they still are. they haven’t gotten any traction, but we’ll know they gave up when they ax a big chunk of their engineering team

by reference i mostly meant as an example of what one could make rather than say a hardware standard that all could follow. i have to assume that google isn't developing their own soc strictly for use in the pixel line alone? i mean it may be a flop like everything that isn't ad sales but i imagine they want to do what apple does and start putting versions into everything

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

by eventually i mean something that is good enough. not completely scratch proof.

like, they’re selling these now in small numbers despite the cost. with the admittedly large assumption that they can bring those costs down over time there will definitely be people who are fine with the compromises.

imo there will probably be an ok if pricey option on the market in maybe five years or something.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Partycat posted:

so reading information on a wavy phone takes two hands and it can’t be held steady because it is flexible, like a newspaper?

why does anyone want that ?

what are you talking about

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think their point is there are hinges facing in opposite directions

right but it's not like a floppy sheet of paper

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think they're assuming unless you hold it with two hands one side will droop

dangerous thing assumptions

anyway thats incorrect

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

otoh, it's a samsung product

i mean this is the biggest reason not to buy it ofc

Partycat posted:

yeah I based it on the picture and was trying to figure why anyone would want their phone to be wavy on purpose.

I guess I could have read the manual, probably says to keep your hands at 10 and 2 when operating the phone

:rolleyes:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Perplx posted:

Folding screens are dumb, dual rolling screens from the middle out, now were talking.

https://i.imgur.com/SLEmj7t.mp4

would

honestly i know im a dumb nerd but i still kind of want a large curved wrist mounted sort of thing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

surprise, samsung had you covered 7 years ago

yeah that was just a watch - and a samsung watch from seven years ago, i mean, lol - not something with a display that was ever usable for much more than time and some notifications. their curved fitness trackers / glorified step counters were pretty cool, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

it had a sim slot and could make calls, send texts, etc without needing to be associated with a phone! i mean, it still sucked because lol of course it did

i didn’t remember the sim slot. i’m all for devices having their own data connections but still. lol.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao google and samsung have decided to merge WearOS and tizen for smart watches

oh well maybe this will the ticket to competing with apple

lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

crepeface posted:

lol why did they even buy fitbit

i assume for the data more than anything, kinda, it was easy for them to get into health devices with a known and liked brand

also new fitbits will come running whatever this new os is going to be

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Joe Chip posted:

i like this. i use yyyy-mm-dd because i like hyphens. least specific to most specific for everything (this is also why i like big endian systems, power forever)

do you put country and state first in an address when mailing something

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

carry on then posted:

my phone did this too. i've never bought an android phone since.

same ever since my nexus device decided to not receive phone calls the day my spouse was taken to the hospital in an ambulance

unless iphones reallllllllllly go down the shitter i can’t imagine buying another kind of phone for a real long time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

that forum sucks the mods a psycho

anyway that person also posted this right beforehand

quote:

I promise I'm not a crazy person and the words I'm about to spew forth are real and earnest because this is how you do something that's a simple menu selection on most other phones but is inexplicably THIS from a manufacturer that at one point allowed you to change things like CPU throttling limits in the settings menu.

First, you download GoodLock from the Samsung store. Like its name clearly indicates, this is for customizing your phone.

Then, once you have that, open it up. Then, from the two bottom tab choices of "Unit" and "Family" select "Family" (because, you know, theming is a family affair and not a...unit?)

From there, you can install Theme Park from the Samsung store.

This will allow you to create your own theme instead of needing to download them and you can focus on just the accent color. Though, there is a limitation that the theming is a color scheme derived from a wallpaper. But hey, you can change it in this clearly simple built in process.

lol yes andoird sure is superior

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

post to buzz

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

:chloe:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

gently caress all widgets forever

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Casual Encountess posted:

lol i did all those things in this example because i have my life together mostly, but i threw that widget in a smart stack and it rules

edit: lol this was the android thread. rip.

how’s james

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

i cannot fathom a single reason for any of those permissions, and time and time again i wish phones had an option to say yes but actually no and provide apps with fake versions of whatever permissions they demand

(but then they'd start screening for those, etc)

relatedly youtube in ios just refuses to let you upload anything without on demand access to camera, mic, etc. even if you just want to upload a file.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i'd get one of the samsung tablets that has an oled display tbqh especially if you aren't going to be watching it in direct sunlight all the time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

indigi posted:

hmm they seem pretty spensie

you should be able to pick up a used one, though. if you're just using it as a display, really, performance shouldn't really matter. i still have one (the s2, maybe?) that i used to watch stuff on and as a bedtime reader because oled is hard to beat for reading in bed without light everywhere

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

imo i think the android tablet is the better buy if you’re really insistent on using an sd card. it’s a pain to transfer huge amounts of data to an ipad and if you’re watching a bunch of widescreen stuff and can snag one of those older wider format tablets they work great.

remember op wants an appliance mostly not a normal tablet.

otherwise yes obviously an ipad is a better choice for literally every other use case

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t think plex pass is worth it tbh unless you are hardcore into that software and want to stream to your tablet. it is pretty janky, and support for pip and subtitles and things while they work, are not nearly as smooth as other players.

vlc on ios isn’t that great either imo in terms of ui. infuse is nice but i haven’t used it in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

if you can leave it plugged in I'd prefer an old thinkpad/latitude with a 1080p screen over an android tablet for that use case

it would weigh several times as much and probably have a worse screen but it’s an option i guess

more storage space tho