Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

brie search in motion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

re ISP bullshit, if your provider is doing something like VDSL in last mile with a VLAN then you'll need an 802.1q bridge which looks like this on cisco (my ISP puts data on VLAN 2):

code:
interface Ethernet0
 description *** VDSL0 ***
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
!
interface Ethernet0.2
 description *** VDSL0_DATA ***
 encapsulation dot1Q 2
 no ip redirects
 bridge-group 1
!
interface Vlan1
 description *** WAN ***
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
 ntp disable
 bridge-group 1
!
edit: oh yeah this assumes you're trunking VLAN 1 up to some other device that'll be doing PPP for ya. in my setup i've got a cisco 897VA doing the VDSL which it bridges to a fortigate 60e.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 6, 2020

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

qirex posted:

this dude is getting ratioed into the phantom zone, including by streamers that stadia paid to promote the service

google have already released a statement distancing themselves from the twit :lol:

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1319419953674637317

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

stadia is video game landlord. a gamelord if you will

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

crepeface posted:

today i got a notification about new music that was released because the band name was the same as one that i had liked.

incredible what big data can do

discogs turned 20 recently and i think they solved that problem more than a decade ago

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/thetorpedodog/status/1340944840310329344

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pretty sure this has happened before except it was apple from android or something: https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/01/13/samsung-inadvertently-uses-iphone-to-tweet-galaxy-unpacked-promo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

got an OTA update for my Galaxy S10+ some One UI 3.0 poo poo, installed the upgrade and now they've removed the option to select custom notification sounds wtf

edit: worked it out, had to re-download tim.wav, move it to the "Notifications" folder on the internal storage which then makes it magically appear for selection in the settings app. pos

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 7, 2021

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

imagine not having your phone on vibrate

it normally is when i'm not at home. i'm not an rear end in a top hat

carry on then posted:

hwo many times has someone said "nice meme" when u get a text

it was actually kinda an internal joke where i work so when i caught up with the same colleagues on a diff contract recently and forgot to put my phone on silent they all had a hearty chuckle. ofc as above i only take it off vibrate at home

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

last night i was waiting on a food delivery and browsing the forums on my phone with the awful app and somehow it completely blocked me from seeing an incoming call from the food dude. i only realised it because a notification popped up on my PC saying that i missed a call.

pretty sure this is just a dumb android ting and nothing to do with awful app. thandroid

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the ms teams app on android has the worst notification handling i've ever seen. you can have the app open to a specific conversation and you'll STILL get a notification every single time someone messages in chat it's obscene. like surely they'd go "ok the dude already has the app open so they're seeing the messages so we should suppress notifications" but apparently that's too hard/they're too dumb/anroid

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

i don't have that issue of notifications when the app is open but having the default behavior be "push all replies on a thread you replies in as notifications" is the most annoying poo poo, and they do it on all platforms. I have to mute every thread I'm in unless someone actually at replies, or else I get a flood of useless notifications.

teams, it's poo poo!

i ended up disabling all notifications from the apps except for calls

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

it's the dumbest poo poo which i'm certain was a solved problem prior to all this electron poo poo which has unsolved it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anyone mentioned how google moved the menu shortcut in the play store app from the top left corner, where it has been for maybe a decade, to the top right corner? i cannot fathom why they have done this. they know it's confused the poo poo outta people because they put pop-up notifications in the app advising that it's moved.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i just had a look at some other google apps and everyone who said that it was for a unified UI dealio is correct. in fact it looks like they're tryna make the entire top 1/8 of every app into a kind of search bar (like even for apps that in no way need one it still has a thing that looks like one) with the "your profile pic/main menu" thing on the top-right.

except for the google calendar app, that hasn't been touched and i think it's because they don't know how.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

qirex posted:

calendars are so loving annoying to design

i'd like to hear more about that

e: because it sounds interesting, the challenges

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

FMguru posted:

the late ballmer years were so funny

my favorite bit was when he sent out a big all-hands memo to address the increasing drift and dysfunction that microsoft was sliding into, and wrote many impassioned paragraphs about the need to focus because the company always did best when it had a clear focus and they needed to get back to focusing on what was really important

...and then he listed off the TEN things that they needed to focus on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GM4Lt5k24s

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wheany posted:

It just feels like that because they keep renaming what was originally lync office communicator

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, this is the thing, if you went onto office communicator back in 2007 you have had uninterrupted updates and support (not to mention uninterruptedly ever-changing branding) since, and with a promise that it'll keep working until 2025. and the effort to actually migrate people onto teams has a bit more meat to it than the google "well, here's the new thing, it is different from the old thing" announcement.

back in may 2021 microsoft started rolling out an update for the teams back-end infra and client that changed the way it communicates, specifically at L4 with STUN. the idea was to improve performance and apparently it lets them support calls with up to 1k participants. the roll-out of the change has apparently been progressive across regions and it appears that it has hit AU this week. as we found out the change makes clients a shitton more chatty which resulted in traffic log output doubling from all state gov depts lmao

teams? TEAMS!? oh yes, teams

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

unrelated question but where does awful.app get the square versions of thread tags from?

this repo apparently: https://github.com/Awful/thread-tags. maintained by generous goons as i understand

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

tried to search for an emoji in the samsung keyboard thing on my anroid, got a message saying "Can't search for Emojis in current input language", current input language is "English (AU)" lol good poo poo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just tested, also doesn't work if you select "English (UK)" only works for "English (US)" great job sarnsung

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

googleoid, he was a googleoid
one chrome tab too many

*chome

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

wu-tang forever

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

there's a big "Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II - Our deepest condolences" message on the front-page of the google play app store lmfao

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i dont think anyone cares about that even samsung

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Google Meet (First One, Then The Other)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hey i may not be the best poster but im pretty sure im more cohesive than anroid!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

noooo lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i got a sarnsung galaxy S24+ to replace my S10+ because sarnsung stopped releasing OTA updates for it. i can't tell what's new it's exactly the same as the last one, phones are a scam!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i've used android forever and i don't give a poo poo. also i'm pretty sure i don't have enough lifeforce left in my body to learn a new phone OS.

gotta say though, the amount of AI poo poo you have to disable now is comical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i just can't bring myself to care about phone