Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

is the pixel c good or not? i can't rememnber

no because android

real answer: its fine, but far too expensive for what you get from android on a tablet these days. theres little reason to get that over The New iPad (2017) which is $170 less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

oh wait it's $270 than The New iPad (2017) holy poo poo not a chance it's worth that

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

androids back button has always been temperamental and the fact that some apps still use 'press back twice to exit to home' is stupid as gently caress

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

look at this chucklefuck promoting harbor freight junk
also its alarming how far someone has to go in that thread for me to finally go "okay thats definitely a fakepost"

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Im not saying people should be janitoring their phones more but I really wish you could do stuff like disable the annoying rear end HEADPHONE VOLUME AT UNSAFE LEVELS alert without jailbreaking the phone with some retard's buggy romhack. Or like, set my phone to default to tether mode when connected to a computer. Or to have missed calls create a notification when they don't leave a voicemail. Seriously why is that not a thing Samsung.

dont buy a samsung

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

also that warning shows up even when your not using headphones, its just a general alert 'hey you turned the volume up past 75%'

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Last Chance posted:

lol why the gently caress would this need a notification? "warning you're listening to somethign too loud" -grandma samsung

its not even a passive 'hey be careful dont gently caress your ears up' you have to hit 'ok' to acknowledge you want to turn the volume up further

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sereri posted:

because the EU said so. Im not sure how current iPhones are handling it but you used to not be able to set ipod volume higher than this "might damage your ear" level

e:
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-21294537

sarnsung does it on every phone whether its sold or used in the eu or not.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Agile Vector posted:

*shifts eyes concerningly* 'so uh, haha, what if i wanted a phone that was hard to uh, haha, access or have backups of? haha jk jk but really, nobody would know i had it? i just want less butts, or whatever but like from some other TOTALLY NORMAL PERSON who would give me trustable software to do NORMAL PERSON THINGS with'
that dude is a floridian drug dealer interested in purchasing firearms for "home defense"

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

oh wait i bet $20 hes spooked by the reports that law enforcement have devices that can crack open ios devices.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

only thing thats ever really been noticeable re: ram on ios is apps and safari pages reloading when you go back to them after doing other stuff.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

multiple generations

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

what the gently caress???

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I'm keeping this phone until someone brings out a powerful 4.3" phone (so, forever)

sir, have you heard of the iphone se???

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

like everything anroid it works okay in theory but google leaves everything up to the devs so nothing works

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

why the gently caress is that still a thing you can do on any carrier??

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

e: oops

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

lol at wanting to do things on a laptop.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

infernal machines posted:

gestures do not make a good navigation method

lol what is this garbage. i can switch apps quicker on the x than any other phone and its no more effort to do anything else.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

or its because i just have to swipe left do my poo poo then swipe again instead of double tapping home and tapping on the last used app then repeating to go back. but too bad "move your finger in a direction" is too difficult, shame itll never catch on.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

but its extremely google for them to not get why the ipone x gestures work well and instead come up with some poo poo slider where you have to guess how long to hold it to one direction and oops you let go a hundredth of a second too late guess youll have to start all over again finding the app you want

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

samsung made the note 9's stylus bluetooth.
the battery lasts 30 minutes.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

they had a perfectly fine stylus when it was EM powered, but in true samsung fashion they decided to gently caress with it because they could, its powered by a supercapacitor that only has 30 minutes standby. i guess the positive is they claim it takes 40 seconds to charge fully, but like... why ??

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

30 minute standby time. apples advertised spec is 12 hr fully charged, 30 min active usage after 15 seconds charging

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

:siren:woop woop android poilce:siren: posted:

While docked within the Note9, the S Pen recharges by way of an inductive coil — just the way the phone itself can charge on a wireless pad. So every time you pop it out, its supercapacitor is fully-charged and ready to use. But this is also when your clock starts ticking, and between keeping up the Bluetooth LE connection and losses from the self-discharge inherent to capacitors, you only have about 30 minutes of standby time before the S Pen needs to be reinserted into the phone to charge back up.

Actively using the S Pen's remote features run down that charge even faster, and users can expect a maximum of a couple hundred button presses. This is so low that you can tap away on the button and watch the reported charge drop to 90%, 80%, all the way to zero in the span of just a couple minutes. Thankfully, the phone issues a warning notification at 20% to let you know it's time to recharge.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

what does your heart tell you

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

phones on the android 9.0 pie (thank you) are randomly having the battery saver mode turn on at 99%.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

anthonypants posted:

they're talking about a chromebook, but your point stands
they're talking about the acer tab 10, a chromeos tablet. it costs roughly the same as the latest base ipad.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i also remember a program that was in vain to attempt to get updates to phones quicker, well before android one was a thing. but. i dont remember what it was called. but dont think it was any of those.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

years ago, someone in the anroid thread went to my profile, saw i was remotely geographically close, and threatened to beat me up because i made fun of his stupid fuckin sarnsung watch. he asked if id say what i said to his face.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

eventually people will learn to stop using screen size to compare physical sizes of 16:9 and 18:9 phones. today is not that day.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

android oems are no longer beholden to chip makers to be able to release os updates, at least.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

why do you think PlayStation Now has not completely supplanted PS4 sales?

because you can't play new ps4 games on it, for one.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Sony pussed out and now their compact phones went from 4.7" to 5.0". And no headphone jack. So literally no reason to go with one over a Pixel.

stop using screen size as an equivalent to body size. it's no longer a good metric; bezels and aspect ratio are significant factors in the overall size of a phone's body at this point. the size difference between an iphone 6 and xs is real small, but the diagonal screen size is 1.1" larger.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Kins posted:

lol sarnsung got this taken down

https://web.archive.org/web/20190425075411/https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+Fold+Teardown/122600

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Kins posted:

phil harrison also oversaw the troubled launch of the ps3 and the very troubled launch of the xbox one. if he's the talking head for a video game machine, expect Problems.

Mattrick was the head at Xbox when the Xbone was developed and launched, and also the dude behind the 360 comment. Harrison was a vp and largely focused on Europe.
not like it’s that much better, Harrison still sucks.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the tacit admission that this person doesn't have friends or do things by saying "i just take photos of receipts" is amazing.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the samsung phones that do it are faster than huawei's implementation and yet still slower than the shitass 5w wall charger with phones.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ice cream sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bibs is a treasure. never stop posting.