Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

DuckConference posted:

if it causes normals to start caring about color calibration that could be cool
oh they do, but not in a good way

"why is my iphone screen piss yellow?"

or

"why is my iphone screen so blue looking? isn't this the harmful blue light they've talked about??"

because they think the whitepoint each display is calibrated to will affect the display's actual color accuracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Stymie posted:

can't wait to see tim reimplement the same stupid gimmicks later when he gets panicked after seeing ads showing off said gimmicks

agreed, if tim haven't already done so with the idiotic 8 (and tim's limp control of leaks like you've always said)

they are in a feedback loop of some sort, an ouroboros of bad phones and decisions

coke
Jul 12, 2009
I have owned a Mi Note 3. MIUI is pretty bad.
  • The notification thing is actually super annoying. On my Motorola and Oneplus (both stock Android), I can see the contents of a Whatsapp message without opening the app. This way, the sender of the message does not get the blue (read) ticks. I know it sounds like I’m being nitpicky, but sometimes you really want to avoid someone, or just reply to them later. Especially when it comes to clingy romantic partners, where it’s a lot easier to just let them think you didn’t read the message because you were busy, rather them let them know you read their message, but chose not to reply at the time. MIUI really hosed me over with this.
    Do NOT underestimate how significant that notification thing is when it comes to day to day life.

• The MIUI interface does not have an app drawer (it’s iOS style). This wouldn’t be an issue, as I would just use a custom launcher, but because of those horrible memory management issues, the phone never played nice with my favourite, Nova Launcher. It would keep on crashing, or lag, whenever I used that, or any other custom launcher.

• Some weird bug with the headphone jack. I’d plug my car aux in, and the headphone logo would show in the notification tray (as it should), but music would still play from the phone speakers. This would happen at least 30% of the time I plugged into my car. Went on the Xiaomi forums and found out other people also had the same issue, but Xiaomi never issued a fix.

• You had to use the MIUI music player if you wanted "play pause" buttons on the lock-screen. I used to use Poweramp, but the MIUI and Poweramp lockscreen controls kept on interfering with each other. Half the time I’d get Poweramp on the lock screen, half the time I’d get the MIUI music controls.
I know these sound like minor things, but add them all up, plus other minor but frequent bugs (Youtube app crashed way too often), and try to live with them on a day-to-day basis, and it ends up being a pretty horrible experience.

That’s why I always recommend people to go with stock Android phones (Motorola, OnePlus, now Nokia as well). They just tend to have less bugs and issues.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

coke
Jul 12, 2009
qualcomm is good

even apple admitted defeat to them and uses qualcomm's modem, which is overall better than the intel garbage apple trying to cram into their cheaper gsm iphone x

lol if you spend the same verizon money for a gsm iphone x

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Crazy Achmed posted:

Honestly, if i was a techbro with enough vc to renovate own office, I'd lay the foyer and open plan office space out to be the first room or two of e1m1. Just the layout, though, not the decor or anything else, so that it subtly fucks with everyone coming through

the coffee machine is inside a closet that you have to step into the ceo's room to open

coke
Jul 12, 2009
now the 8 and x has a separate models with intel and qualcomm modem where the intel one is garbage and can't hold onto signals as well as the qualcomm model while being slower and can't do cdma

coke
Jul 12, 2009
it's actually just called an-draw in chinese because they just want to translate it phonetically

google is called 'valley-song'

coke
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJt4zvXUXQ

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for the love of god, don't quote stymie

dude has nothing to contribute except attempts to gently caress with us, he is the black sucking void of forums discourse
if you cant beat them, join them and embrace the void

Stymie posted:

i'm starting to come around on the removal of headphone jacks from devices because nobody needs to be constantly listening to music
same, the worst ones are people crossing the road with them on and you can never tell if they knew they were few feet away from getting creamed

coke
Jul 12, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

are you seriously boasting about the fact that you almost hit a pedestrian
nah i dont even really drive but there are dashcam videos of pedestrians with their head down or with earbuds while crossing the road

there are also people asking about how to wear earbuds under their helmet so they can ride and talk on the phone or listen to music at the same time, while riding the scooter

coke
Jul 12, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

what exactly is wrong with people listening to music while they walk
nothing at all, it's a free country and their responsibilities to pay attention to their surroundings

listening to music while walking kinda makes it harder to pay attention but if they can do it who are we to say :shrug:

coke
Jul 12, 2009
So I just forced 90hz on my P4XL to see if I could notice anything different. Bejeweled Blitz is my toilet game of choice so I tried a game of it and holy poo poo are the animations sooooo smooth now. It almost looks weird how perfectly the jewels move across the screen compared to what it was on my P2XL and even before I forced 90hz. I won't be turning this off any time soon.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
can you upgrade the soc to something like the 865+ and the modem to x55/x60? or 875 with the modem included? because upgrading other parts seems useless when you are tied down to a slow outdated cpu or radio with no local band support

edit: lol the modules are separated between fairphone 2 and fairphone 3 instead of all sharing similar parts, and they are mostly the useless bits like speaker module or usbc port, no primary hardware like the soc or modem, whats the point
https://shop.fairphone.com/en/spare-parts/filter/choose-your-fairphone/fairphone-3?ref=header

coke fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 3, 2020

coke
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqjoRMHyYQc

coke
Jul 12, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

i think that’s a sub $200 phone so only the poors get camera ads i guess

it's actually just an app you can get for your phone

coke fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 24, 2020

coke
Jul 12, 2009

CoolRanch posted:

Typo, I meant ipad air* three years ago.

Imagine an s6 running.
lol the original ipad air came out in 2013

so that's still about 5 years of full os update and there's even security update for it that came out just a few weeks ago

but yeah it has the same chip as the 5s which is pretty garbage for bloated apps and webpage nowadays

coke
Jul 12, 2009
but you see it's actually good for users because it gives them longer battery life

also i guess they dont know what race to sleep is

it's extremely on brand for them to say "yep we have this extremely fast chip in our phone" to tick off the checklist of items and then sell their customers a phone that performs much worse in most common apps

coke
Jul 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

lmao the androids are mad

quote:

Founder Eric Migicovsky said on Friday that he simply didn’t understand why Apple would block his app: “if Apple truly cares about the privacy and security of their own iPhone users, why would they stop a service that enables their own users to now send encrypted messages to Android users, rather than using unsecure SMS?”

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Shaggar posted:

apple unequivocally has a monopoly on ios app stores. it doesnt matter by which mechanism they enforce their monopolies.
not really, for ios 15.4.1 and below you can install dopamine for a15 and lower cpus and then do an unthered jailbreak through sideloading the gta car tracker app and get the trollstore working

also remember to save all of the the shsh blobs so you can do mitm replay attack when you want to reinstall older version of ios even if you are not upgrading yet

and then you can install anything you want on ios and not even using their ios app store