Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
android has achieved its purpose, which is to knock Microsoft out of the mobile os market and put google ads in everything they can. there is no value to google in making it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hi, I'm traveling and my phone got stolen

ios: buys new phone, chooses to restore from last night's automatic backup at setup. phone is identical to the stolen one.

android: buys new phone, starts over.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

My Linux Rig posted:

oh yeah you'd think they would have gotten better over time but they didn't

it's good enough for what it was designed to do, which is to make it impossible for anyone else to make money selling mobile operating systems. why would they make it any better?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Nards Pan posted:

You gotta add the SD PV to the correct volume group and then extend the LV (use the -r flag unless you want to mess with file system flag afterwards)

exhibit 1: phone janitoring

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

med school head posted:

anroid is bad because of its users

also its hardware

also the software

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hey look youtube app got updated

https://twitter.com/dracos/status/853120105466691585

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, I guess the alternative to janitoring is watching while the e-garbage accumulates into a giant pile and then catches fire

what im saying is that all phones suck, salt the earth

so abused that he can't even fathom a phone os that works well.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Smythe posted:

Windows 10 and Android are ownage and have never had a single bug or error. If you're having problems on either of those OS it means you're holding it wrong. Meanwhile my murdered-out Mac Mini had a router plugged into it from some sort of test thing from tech at work and it somehow thought it turned into a time capsule or something (from the CONSOLE LOG) and lagged out bigly trying to open some sorta backup sesh with it and hosed up my show. Bravo to OSX the biggest piece of poo poo OS on earth,

you're going to have to make these more believable, I can't finish to this

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this phone is so boring, all it does is work well

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
looking through the fuchsia kernel, it is about a decade away from being able to replace Linux as a real OS.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jimmy Carter posted:

Danger Sidekick/Hiptop

Somehow they got Java running on a 24 MHz processor as the whole drat OS.

java runs on some extremely low power cores. sidekicks did everything on the server so the java os didn't do that much.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
that button is not a general purpose back button. it returns you to the app that launched the current app. like if you clicked on a link that opens a browser, it takes you back to the app where the link was, or if you click on a notification that takes you to messages, you can get back to the app you were using before that. it's a continuity shortcut.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

duTrieux. posted:

so the back button occasionally changes function into an exit button? is there any way to tell when that happens other than memorizing the sequence of content panels that you've viewed in every active app?

no, you get the surprise and delight when you press it and, as previously discussed, your app terminates (unlike the home button which only backgrounds it)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

treble, lomarftals

pretty good idea to be hoenst

process length: 1.5 years. of course after a silicon manufacturer stops making a chip they no longer give a poo poo about supporting it so step 1 will never go through again for any future updates. and device makers don't care about updating your device because lol, just buy a new one.

also

Bobby Digital posted:

huh, a loss where every panel is a miscarriage

:vince:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

turn right at   planet earth

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i was able to bring back to life my 2012 nexus 7. only had to flash a xXx-_-h4ck3rr0m-_-xXx of anroid 4 the kitkat with artisanal hand-crafted kernel, after i formatted the device to f2fs

I was able to bring back my 2013 iPhone 5 by plugging it into my computer and restoring the latest version of iOS on it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm wondering if these count as refurbs since they are certainly using parts they salvaged from their recalled units.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

why would the orientation of the panel matter?

it doesn't. this is complete nonsense. displays don't get mounted upside down. they don't even have an upside down, the scan direction is reversible. what this person is seeing is probably just lag in the touch response that gives it the rubber band effect

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

what if the link between gpu and screen isn't fast enough to update the whole screen at once so it has to change row by row

that would cause a tearing effect whenever something redraws in a translated offset

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

how is it even possible not to have 60fps scrolling, windows 95 had it on a pentium 1 with 64mb of RAM and no hardware accel. what's googles excuse?

lol no it didn't.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just recently found out that whatever kernel an android device ships with, that's the version it stays with forever, through all OS upgrades.

what. the. gently caress.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
et tu, don larp?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm not sure why you think that's a problem. LCD refresh direction literally doesn't matter*. most LCD panels refresh along the narrow edge because it requires fewer channel drivers. this means that your monitor and tv are probably refreshing left to right. when I turn my iPad sideways or upside down, the display doesn't behave any differently.

*well, it matters in one important way, which is that it requires double buffering the frame buffer, since you can't race the scan direction. what these people are seeing is most likely a failure to do that correctly.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
testing costs money. android vendors have negative margins

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lmao. make a stealth product, pre-announce it before it's ready to ship and burn all of your PR buzz

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
that is some aggressive contempt of their customers

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it just occurred to me that everyone that develops android is running Linux desktops. they literally don't know what a good UI is.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

can't you do it on windows or macos too? 'cause android is just java and the emuilator is qemu?

yes. what I mean is that inside google they're all literally running linux

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
accidentally wrote the code to display ads in the keyboard. then our QA department accidentally didn't notice the ads. also we're accidentally sending everything you type to our ad servers, so your passwords are accidentally stored there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

oh wow it gets better

so, htc doesn't actually develop their own keyboard, and instead include third-party keyboard touchpal. apparently touchpal "accidentally" sent an update to include ads that "mistakenly" went to htc phones which are supposed to have the ad-free version

who is getting paid for the ads? I guarantee it isn't touchpal

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

not
at
this
distance

good. I'm tired of seeing their ugly emoji in screenshots

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Breakfast All Day posted:

googles perfectly ok apps and interfaces

whoa there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Silver Alicorn posted:

get a good phone ya dingaling

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Boiled Water posted:

the rest are fine apple people so who knows. maybe he's a bastard

my brother has this condition as well. he muttered something about walled gardens and not trusting his fingerprints being uploaded to apple and being able to modify his device (he's never modified it or anything). he's usually not a huge sperg like these statements would lead you to believe, I think he just believes too many things he reads on the internet

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

android: broken from the hardware up

https://www.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p-bootloop-fix/

just run on the low power cores, great job qualcomm. to install this fix you will need:

- a USB cable
- a hairdryer

I'm going to print this out and hang it on the wall as a reminder to my colleagues of how not to design hardware.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

how is the solution to the issue "make the phone really hot"?

when the phone is really hot it can't use the fast cores because they generate too much heat. apparently the bug doesn't happen when only running on the slow cores

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
most apps are a thin shell around frameworks. those can't be deleted because other apps depend on them, so deleting the app doesn't get you much more than removing the icon.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
car colors are boring as gently caress and so are phone colors. I would have bought the red iPhone 7 if it didn't have the white face

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jfckfc

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

wait, how the gently caress does that even work? there's a type-a usb plug in the cockpit that connects to some kind of writable mass storage device that's read by the avionics?

wtf?

yes, for doing firmware and maps updates to the flight computers. so obviously that's a great place to plug in your malware infested android for charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the green bubble will always be your mark of shame