Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol at that angle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
green bubble stigma is the punishment for buying a bad phone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
seriously why would you buy an Android on contract when you could buy a refurb iphone? the iPhone will be supported longer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
a new phone every two years is far too infrequently for the kind of people who buy a pixel

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

do they still stop supporting hardware after a year?

I think once they got their own chips instead of using Qualcomm they started offering a whole three years of support. of course it’s google so lol they’re not actually going to maintain a thing but yeah

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

sb hermit posted:

google doesn’t even make their own phones

and the only phone chips they make, as far as I know, are the tensor chips used for ai acceleration

despite the name, the tensor chips are full phone SoCs made by google, kind of. it’s mostly a Samsung Exynos with some light modification by google.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

it really is incredible that Google feeds ads to maps users in Android but doesn't in iOS. iOS users are much more valuable ad targets, but they've also got another option for maps.

google demanded this in iOS maps, which used the google maps api. so Apple decided to spend several billion dollars to make their own maps instead.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

lol remember "project butter," the multi-year effort to get web pages to scroll smoothly?

original android was a thrown together pile of garbage and they spent many years trying to dig themselves out of it. drawing the UI on the main thread of an app is amateur level software design

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

sb hermit posted:

I’m learning that nest thermostats are dumb as gently caress

they’re really bad.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
but also having two of them fighting is a dumb idea that they didn’t plan for, can’t blame them for that.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just use a light switch

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google has gotten so desperate about green bubble stigma that they’re pushing the EU to force Apple to open the iMessage protocol. I look forward to the reaction when they implement it and Apple still makes their bubbles green.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
mad about green bubble stigma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
unlike most bullying aspects, buying a bad phone is a choice