Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

infernal machines posted:

?? i though google pay was already a thing

who the gently caress is branding this poo poo? it's like microsoft all over again

maybe they should switch over to bitcoin, more retailers will accept it at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The_Franz posted:

only two android phone makers put out security updates in a timely manner

obviously one is google, but try and guess the other...

lol essential

I was guessing Samsung before clicking the spoiler

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

President Beep posted:

given my personal experience i had a feeling it wasn’t samsung

I’ve never owned one myself, I did have an htc and lg phone a while back and those definitely never get updated either

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Da Mott Man posted:

So were I work we use these dumb things for inventory control on new equipment, replacements, and decommissioning. The anroid is so drat slow on them its actually frustrating to use.

I guess you can also get them with Windows Phone also but lol, not sure if that would be an improvement.

I used to work for a software shop developing software for ruggedized device poo poo. I was wondering if they were gonna start doing this cause there were whispers about switching to android when I left in 2012

also windows mobile or windows ce actually would be an improvement cause at least that platform has decent dev tools.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

carry on then posted:

i know the ones at the grocery store where i grew up ran windows mobile because every scan was accompanied by the windows xp error sound

oh yeah 90% of mobile scanners out there like that are likely windows mobile cause the license and devs are easy to get. chances are the device manufacturers already have the license for windows mobile from way back when and just use it cause why not

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
yeah androids kind of considered disposable these days, I doubt anyone would care if they started supporting them longer

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Endless Mike posted:

didn't know android maker htc was an apple brownshirt

lol according to this three different companies (at least) are required to make an update for an android phone

no wonder they never get updates

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I say we go back to round screens, then the notch could go around the middle like a belt!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The_Franz posted:

they tried, but it seems like the atom is as close as they can get. you would think that if they could scale x86 down to phone sizes with performance on-par with existing arm chips they already would have

meanwhile arm is creeping into the server market

last I checked it was creeping into the laptop market too, lenovo released an arm laptop last year that got somewhat good reviews and Firefox/chrome are going to get arm64 variants at some point

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The Management posted:

Apple is in the business of selling the cheapest phones they can get away with for the maximum amount of money.

ftfy

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

coke posted:

if you cant beat them, join them and embrace the void

same, the worst ones are people crossing the road with them on and you can never tell if they knew they were few feet away from getting creamed

are you seriously boasting about the fact that you almost hit a pedestrian

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
*nearly hits a woman and her child*

This particular intersection is only a marked cross walk (not at a light with "designated stop lines". And, no flags. Also, in the shade of trees. I am not sure what happened, as by the time we came past, there were plenty of cars stopped and people around to help, and the firetruck was just approaching. But, what I can say is that pedestrians as well as drivers have a responsibility. It isn't just one or the other. The small child was being looked after a bystander when we went by, and the location of the woman made me wonder if perhaps he'd run into the road or something as I couldn't figure out any reason she would have been hit at all right then.

Not for us to determine cause/how it happened. But, it is good to remind everyone that there are at least 2 parties to every pedestrian accident.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

coke posted:

nah i dont even really drive but there are dashcam videos of pedestrians with their head down or with earbuds while crossing the road

what exactly is wrong with people listening to music while they walk

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

coke posted:

listening to music while walking kinda makes it harder to pay attention

listening to music makes it harder to see an oncoming car or crosswalk signals?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Schadenboner posted:

Wish listening to music made it harder to see ur posts, OP.

my posts could beat up ur posts :mad:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Agile Vector posted:

while true, this tiny loving phone is so irritatingly tempting for my dumb tiny computer obsession

looks like we found the new yospos phone

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

lol all the updates to android in this quote is legitimately good for android users, no wonder the purists hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

“even though there are screen issues after day one, a terrible plastic screen that doesn’t feel good to use, a physical design that makes it too big for pockets, a ui for tablets that is still terrible that will close all your apps when you shut it, and a $2000 price tag, this device is still enjoyable to use” - says reviewer who didn’t have to pay for the device and won’t ever use it again