Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a topic so non-controversial that this forum basically stopped talking about it when the old android thread got closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had a nokia 770 it was pretty sweet to use while traveling and had no purpose the other 50 weeks of the year

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

lol using a samsung on sprint

that's a spec sheet shopper if I've ever heard one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm curious how "wild" became the official descriptor for the fuscia interface because it looks pretty normal to me, one might even call it... mild? :twisted:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Condiv posted:

yeah someone said fuschia is on par with maybe something that would be released 40 years ago. also dart is gonna be the new language. cause it's java that's to blame for anroid being such poo poo, not google being unable to write a worthwhile userland after years of anroid existing

oh, and it's not normal dart, it's dart with a new optional type system bolted on

cause that's the new thing for idiot p-langers, wishing they weren't p-langers by bolting broken type systems onto their p-langs

not saying you're wrong but has anybody ever deployed an actually good user-facing java system?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

early mac os x days had supported java bindings for cocoa so it's entirely possible that there were some sufficiently-concealed java apps that worked and nobody knew about

oh I know that works I mean where the whole stack is java, maybe webos?

e: not webos

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 10, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

it's really depressing knowing this guy can't do anything without having a screen in his face blaring animes

he's a bellweather for dying technologies:
hd-dvd owner
plasma owner
windows phone owner
surface owner
now complaining about how 3d tvs are going away

he's an ok guy he just has a habit for picking exactly the wrong technology

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

remember that phone that was so bad it started dozens of fires and had to be pulled from the market? it's back!

quote:

Samsung plans to release a “fandom” edition of the Galaxy Note 7 that is ostensibly safer to use. The company was hit hard by around 3 million recalls of the Note 7 last October after multiple phones caught fire due to defective batteries that were prone to overheating. Samsung ended production on the device and began a months-long quest to get the device out of users’ hands as it worked out refunds and tried to repair its image.

This new refurbished edition, to be called the Galaxy Note 7 FE, will feature different components than the original device. It will hit stores on July 7th starting in South Korea, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal. It’s unclear how many units will be available elsewhere. Analysts told the WSJ that the Note 7 wouldn’t affect sales of the Galaxy S8, which is sporting a new pink version exclusive to Taiwan and has managed not to have its reputation sullied by the Note 7 debacle.

A number of people were reportedly still holding onto their Note 7s in January, despite the recall, either for convenience or sentimentality. So this edition might be a safe alternative for those who have a special place in their heart for the Note 7 and yet don’t want to catch on fire.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Essential, the smartphone maker from Android co-founder Andy Rubin, is staying mum on whether its titular gadget has been delayed. News organizations began pinging the company last week when it was clear Essential missed its 30-day shipping deadline set by Rubin himself at the Code Conference in late May. The company has not appeared to respond to any of these requests, including The Verge’s, leaving pre-order buyers and other interested parties in the dark on the fate of the Android-powered handset.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

reminds me of all the bottom barrel windows shitboxes that came with free trials of norton and office and loving zone alarm

I worked for zone labs 2005ish and I think the average payment to get presintalled was like $3 million for lenovo up to $15 million for dell and that was for a single product line

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

But in practice, using Bixby Voice to do things on your phone is not any faster or easier than just tapping the touchscreen the old fashioned way. It takes so long for Bixby Voice to launch (whether I press and hold the Bixby button to activate listening mode or use the “Hi Bixby” wake command) and hear what I’m saying that I could have performed the task three times by the time it has processed what I said and performed my action.

Further, there are many times when I ask Bixby to do something and it either doesn’t understand me or just doesn’t do what I expect it to. Just this morning I asked Bixby to “take a screenshot and share it to Twitter.” It got the screenshot part right, but then it attempted to share the image in a private DM conversation instead of a public tweet. I had to start the process all over again in order to do what I could have done manually the first time.

Basically, after weeks of using Bixby Voice, I still can’t trust that it will do what I want it to. That means that I won’t use it and will continue to use my phone the same way I always have. Trust will be even more important when Samsung brings Bixby to other appliances — the last thing I need is to ask my washing machine to wash delicates and have it instead set itself to high spin and hot water modes.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bought a pair of those headphones, they're awful plus the first pair I got wouldn't hold a charge so I took my replacement pair and sold them on amazon marketplace instead of even trying them out

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

imageine if iPhone made phones out of luxury materials like hardwood, marble, ivory

lol yeah because vertu is doing awesome

quote:

In its most recent financial report in 2014, the company made a loss of £53 million on sales of £110 million.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that's a hell of an act what do you call it?

android!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

maybe nobody who was there 5 years ago is still on the team?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

surely htc's problems aren't major marketplace softness and overall structural problems with their business, they just aren't googley enough

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sony v6 or v7506 are probably the "good" headphone you should try first before inevitably falling down the internet rabbit hole and ending up at $1500 chinese electrostatics that need a special amp

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

love it when companies copy even apple's bad decisions

quote:

The Pixelbook will reportedly come in only one color, silver, and have three different storage tiers: 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB. Those will sell for $1,199, $1,399, and $1,749 — at which point you could have easily bought five cheaper Chromebooks instead. One particular oddity: despite the high price, the Pixelbook apparently won’t ship with its stylus, called the Pixelbook Pen, which is supposed to sell for an additional $99.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol sprint exclusive

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

once microsoft's blank check for buying studios and exclusives dried up all they're left with is their same basic microsofty manchild trash like halo and gears except all those manchildren are 35 now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

to the surprise of absolutely no one, oneplus has been phoning home.

https://www.chrisdcmoore.co.uk/post/oneplus-analytics/

it's almost like these tiny pocket computers cost actual money to build

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if we just make a good enough android we can totally charge iphone prices for it it'll be a money printing machine!
- like 5 different oems now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i just received my fourth LG-made Nexus 5X via warranty replacement. i think I'm going to try and replace this new one too because it rattles when i shake it

does it have optical image stabilization? that might be on purpose

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was just trying to be polite

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it was dumb because bluetooth/wifi and awkward form factor but those clip on cameras sony made had some minor merit to them, you could get one with a 1" sensor and stabilized F1.8 lens

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

Criticism about the Pixel 2 XL's pOLED display arose shortly after the review units went out, with complaints including reports of dull colors, graininess, a strong blue tint when viewed at an angle and, in some cases, reports of display burn-in. Google's VP of Product Management Mario Queiroz addressed two of those issues, the burn-in and vividness, in a post on Google's forums.

Google is standing by its previous statement that the Pixel 2 XL's display was designed to show "a more natural and accurate rendition of colors." Queiroz points out that the phone does contain a feature to boost the display color by 10%, but if that's not enough to satisfy some users, they'll soon also have a new mode that provides "more saturated colors." This mode will arrive in a software update for both Pixel 2 handsets "in the next few weeks."

As for the burn-in issue, Queiroz stated in his forum post that Google began investigating the issue on October 22nd when it received the first user report about the potential problem. During its testing, Google found that the issue, which is officially called differential aging, is "in line with that of other premium smartphones" and won't impact how the phone is used on a daily basis. He also explained that Google uses software "to safeguard the user experience and maximize the life of the OLED display, and we’ll make ongoing software updates to optimize further."

Finally, Google has announced that it is now providing Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL smartphones with a global 2-year warranty.
1. it doesn't look bad, it looks good, we have research that says so
2. there is actually no burn-in/image retention problem
3. We're extending the warranty [but don't count on using it for "differential aging" replacement]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that said samsung makes sure the display in every device they make is super oversaturated, this is why they pioneered super glossy screened flat panels that are actually bad if they're anywhere near a window

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like the honking noise chip readers in the US make when your purchase is approved, that makes it sound like your purchase wasn’t approved.

I bet you they tested a less annoying noise but people kept leaving their cards

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

It floundered and died years ago until apple decided to do it

google had two or three nfc systems that had a few thousand users max

one other thing about apple pay was it was relatively easy for banks to implement, last place I worked I knew a guy on the team that did it and they got it set up in under a year [which for a big bank is a miracle]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

chip is too slow, so sabotaging my card and having to wait for it to fail 3 times and take the card in and out so I can eventually swipe is a totally feasible solution

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol at anyone who doesn't think that's been the endgame for these things from the beginning

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

google doesn’t have that. they can make marginal money by having you pay for music, but in general they’re doomed to try pushing ads into it and then watch the backlash happen.
what google does have is they can sell procter & gamble the exact dates and times individual households saw or heard ads for tide and p&g can connect that to their feeds from amazon and credit card companies to map out actual behavior

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

so basically it's faster to just use my phone anyway
if I thought a voice interface megathread was worth the effort this would be its title

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

palmos would still be around too :allears:

no, they would have figured out a way to go out of business no matter what

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Blue Train posted:

Hoarding shoes, eventually to be killed by an avalanche of such. rip

#lifegoals

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

indexing my songs into a single searchable database ruins my ~*music listening experience*~

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

essential reaching for those coveted microsoft kin numbers in phone sales
https://mobile.twitter.com/fjeronimo/status/963054359000113152

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only reliable way to make money on mobile devices is selling premium currency in games, all other markets are loss leaders and even IAP is pretty saturated

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I guess this is why tim was so mad the iphone faceplate leaked

quote:

The freshly announced Android P has “display cutout support,” aka notch support. Developers will be able to test how their full-screen apps work with notches through the tools Google is releasing today. This is good and useful because a few of these notch iterations have looked horrible, mainly because the software wasn’t built to consider these cutouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's a typo in the url as well "laid bear"