Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Midjack posted:

you seem to have a broad definition of "workable"

I prefer teams to slack so, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

google invents monochrome icons again in android 13

lol this is so bad, they've effectively halved the size of the icons by using the circular border, desaturated them and can barely fit two words for the name of anything

BUT LOOK AT ALL THAT WHITE SPACE AM I RIGHT LADIES

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

When did we collectively decide that icons aren't allowed to have shape masks?

Even if Google insists on their dumb flat design language, and even if they make them all monochrome, everything there would be way easier to identify if they were masked around the outline of the shape rather than all being circles.

I don't care if my icons look "irregular" or whatever. Make my calculator app a tiny calculator and my camera a tiny camera. No more borders.

Susan Kare had this poo poo figured out 40 years ago
human factors folks had it figured out far before that, making buttons different sizes and shapes on industrial equipment

jony ive decided it and for whatever reason they haven't gone back but it's so dumb, that and the borderless text buttons are real bad. at least apple's are roughly square shaped, using a circle is even worse. there's cargo cult design then there's "we must differentiate for no other reason than to do so, no matter the usability cost"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

making good icons is so difficult it should be considered its own specialization, one of the best teams I ever worked on we had a guy who spent like 90% of his time on icons and it was wonderful

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

tbh, i have no idea how waymo has survived this long without a saleable product

investor story time for anonymous vehicles is still super compelling for some reason despite years of barely incremental progress exclusively in regions with good weather

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sb hermit posted:

So I'm gonna give google the benefit of the doubt here. They wouldn't be plowing all these engineering resources into this thing for no reason. But changes like longer support terms will probably take awhile to show up. And it would probably be nice if the device hardware actually lasted longer than 3 years for once.
fyi foxconn makes iphones too

if you pay a vendor to build something you sell directly with your name on it maybe like pay attention to how it will come out and don’t just go “oh ok” when they tell you it’ll be the same poo poo as everybody else?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol google has to handle the recall of its fitbit acquisition's smartwatches
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/03/google-recalls-the-fitbit-ionic-for-causing-burn-injuries-offers-full-refund/

has any company had a worse track record with acquisitions than google?

aol or yahoo maybe

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

clearly what google needs is more idea guys with no product management experience

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dual wielding android watches like liquid metal extensions of my wrists

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

at this point feedly is better than reader ever was but being paid it doesn't do anything to grow the popularity of rss

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

:eng101: fun fact! because olds use zelle so much it's not taxed as income when transferred. venmo is now, as is paypal, cashapp, basically anything that isn't zelle

that's not why it's because it's a joint venture between the 4 banks that run almost all of consumer banking in the us so it's pretty much untouchable unless you want to piss off chase and wells fargo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

another one of those things it's not possible to write a joke about because google does it worse than any parody would

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

it says DFOOOOIIIIDDDD when i get a text hell yeah
in case anyone doesn't know this was a real thing and people actually left it on that alert sound on purpose

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rip OBD I but apparently his son is doing an ok job on tour

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in the replies

quote:

Am a googler (hence throwaway account) & I can easily tell you why this poo poo keeps happening!

Google featureless ZERO penalties for loving poo poo up! Zero! Do you know what the people who wasted two years on Allo got after it was canned? Nothing! Some of them actually got promoted!

Google GREATLY encourages "launches" - releasing something publicly. And keep in mind - no penalties if the poo poo is half baked, not working, only works on chrome, or some such nonsense! This is the norm!

Why? Promotion. You cannot get promoted beyond a certain level in this place unless you "launch" something big.

So what do you get when you add of all these perverse incentives? Nine thousand, eight hundred, and eighty-three chat apps, and a never-ending chain of redesigns and relaunches so some people can get promoted.

Do you know how many bugs you need to fix to get promoted? Infinity. No matter how many you fix, it will never get you enough "impact" for promotion. Never.

How many useless redesigns do you need to launch to get promoted? ONE!

Extra fun: people internally usually warn about this poo poo, complain about it, file bugs about lovely performance, etc. It is ALL ignored. Most people who've been here for over a few years have given up filing bugs even. Because the reply is always the same: "you're not the target audience"!

And we all know it! We all do! Some quit when they realize it, others just begin optimizing for promotion as opposed to optimizing for what is good for the user or the company. And this is how you get new gmail, for example.

to me this is a symptom of "doing a good job is the bare minimum" min/max lovely tech thinking and google's transformation into microsoft is complete since this is basically the "kim" problem all over again

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

blatantly obvious that some exec has made youtube profit increases part of their annual goals, between this and testing all the stuff to lock 4k behind premium and automatically switch quality down during playback
when other parts of your business start sucking it puts pressure on the actual successful divisions to take up the slack

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

It works, people get it, now don't mess with it

ron howard voice: they continued to mess with it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

did you not see? the pixel has way more ram which is definitely something you should care about in your phone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there were dozens, maybe even hundreds of designers involved in material but they apparently spent all their time shooting extremely masturbatory videos where they film pieces of paper overlapping in a special studio and forgot to make a decent design system and in the 7 years since forgotten even that layering part

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there’s a visual principle I call “fruit salad” to explain to junior designers about overusing color to try to create a system and I’m saving that image for use as a reference of this phenomenon

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was curious so I desaturated it and look, almost universal improvement

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

one person above the designer who made them, presumably.

maybe that designer themselves. idk. the googlers i know, despite the popular image, are not actually all that good at what they do
stuff like that generally has a lot of Super Important people needed to sign off* like branding/marketing and probably a program manager if google has those. and I agree, I have met a lot of exceptionally untalented designers who work at google. that said this design is so basic and fundamentally wrong it's likely not a problem of the individual contributors or even design management

*note this is not a sign off like in actual project work, any stakeholder can and will change their opinion at any time after that, it's just the point where updates become increasingly expensive

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my android tv has been stable for 4 years now but 15 is a big ask

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jenny Agutter posted:

google is making their own foldable phone. just couldn’t resist all the profit and good publicity that come with it I guess
product development is dead. some executive reads dumb blog posts about foldable phones in the bathroom then the whole industry copies each other chasing a market that probably isn't there with a product that's not ready for prime time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

coming in fall 2023 oh google-chan when will you learn
https://twitter.com/_snoopytech_/status/1656303098791378946

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the fact that the economics of folding phones means one can purchase a good phone and a good tablet for several hundred dollars less should have made them a non-starter but people just want to make it happen

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's possible it's as "figured out" as it's going to get

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wouldn't dislike a flip phone style iphone but I'd only purchase one if there were no major compromises and it didn't cost triple what a non flip one does. I have no interest in the ice cream sandwich form factor

plus you say "don't bet against material science" meanwhile batteries haven't really got any better in the last decade and there's way more people working on that than how to make electronics bendier

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

auteur solo game devs are definitely known for making clean reusable code and having super correct opinions about technology

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had a n770, I used it on a couple vacations for browsing and email and it was a deeply annoying device to use but in 2006 was way better than schlepping a whole computer or using internet cafes. I sold it in 2008 to some drupal dev who seemed really excited about it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol remember "project butter," the multi-year effort to get web pages to scroll smoothly?

quote:

Project Butter lets the CPU and graphics run in parallel, rather than crash into each other, and has a big impact on both real and perceived speed: the entire interface runs at 60 frames per second on sufficiently fast hardware. Graphics are now triple-buffered to keep scrolling and transitions humming along, and the processor will swing into full gear the moment you touch the screen to keep input lag to a minimum.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

last year I bought a small android tablet to try using as a dedicated music streaming remote and the interface was super laggy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rest in piss you bad idea formed from a stupid concept video hastily made between j allard swinger parties

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the courier neé surface duo was hilarious because they made a video that made the idea of a foldable dual screen device look super cool except the video had a bunch of clearly impossible stuff and then a decade later they actually tried to make the thing but on a budget so the software was basically stock android which sucks at dual screens also it was $1400 at launch

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

fffuuuuck google forever for trying to puppeteer the corpse of rcs into being a thing, im getting *ads* for it now. how hard was it to just put gchat on a phone in 2006 and keep iterating as needed?
it's hilarious to me that "launch a new chat app, get a promotion" apparently worked for a whole decade

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I hope some folks a a small fiberglass shop in the south bay have been able to send their kids to college on google's dumb vanity statues

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

who could possibly have seen this coming

quote:

Nothing has pulled the Nothing Chats beta from the Google Play store, saying it is “delaying the launch until further notice” while it fixes “several bugs.” The app promised to let Nothing Phone 2 users text with iMessage, but it required allowing Sunbird, who provides the platform, log into users’ iCloud accounts on its own Mac Mini servers, which... isn’t great?

The removal came after users widely shared a blog from Texts.com showing that messages sent with Sunbird’s system aren’t actually end-to-end encrypted — and that it’s not hard to compromise it. The app launched in beta yesterday after being announced earlier this week.

9to5Google pointed to a thread from site author Dylan Roussel, who found that part of Sunbird’s solution involves decrypting and transmitting messages using HTTP to a Firebase cloud-syncing server and storing them there in unencrypted plain text. Roussel posted that the company itself has access to messages because it logs them as errors using Sentry, a debugging service.

Sunbird claimed yesterday that HTTP is “only used as part of the one-off initial request from the app notifying back-end of the upcoming iMessage connection.”

That was in response to someone pointing to Texts.com’s blog examining the vulnerability. Texts.com wrote that “an attacker subscribed to the Firebase realtime database will always be able to access the messages before or at the moment they are read by the user.” The blog also points out that the company could look at messages in its Sentry dashboard, directly contradicting the claim from Nothing’s FAQ that nobody at Sunbird can access messages that are sent or received.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of the few people more insufferable than a gold star idea guy who has done nothing is the idea guy who did one hacky thing and thinks the world owes him now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

google signed different deals with different companies and would rather punish their users than renegotiate any contracts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the boox palma looks interesting but it’s clearly a second device and not a phone and a little pricy [$279] for a one trick pony