Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's always had a big volume control overlay but they moved it from the top (where it didn't really interfere with anything) to the side of the screen (where it is super annoying) because of the notch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's because these people have nothing in their lives except gadgets so they mistake the excitement of novelty for love.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

is there a chance the screen could bend?

the circuit board's still cracked and broken!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

that sucks, I just want it because it's small

There's 1,000 different Android handheld gaming devices with controllers built in but not one overseas Android manufacturer that bothered to make a 4.2"-4.5" phone with recent hardware?

Sony Xperia Compact series.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Sony pussed out and now their compact phones went from 4.7" to 5.0". And no headphone jack. So literally no reason to go with one over a Pixel.

nah you're fine. the screens are indeed getting bigger but mostly bc the bezels are getting smaller. phone stays pretty much the same size. the most recent xz2 compact is only 0.3" taller than the z1 from 6 years ago, same width and depth, even though the new one has a 5 inch screen and the old one was 4.3.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 26, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Steve would have dumped the employee who came up with the notch into a septic tank and kept a small upper bezel on the iPhones until it became possible to hide the front camera entirely behind the screen.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

get a sony whatever. they have clean designs, the software is the most neutral of all the oems and they're cheaper than google ones.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the tablet market did in general as well (the ipad is way down from the initial peak), it is a pretty stupid device class outside some pretty niche uses

Remember when nobody was going to buy laptops again because the iPad was a perfect computer replacement for 95% of users

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

also: remember when bbry sent a playbook to anyone who was willing to write an app for it? even if that app was something like "shows the current time in big numbers on the screen"?

i got one through that program. remember how its apps were programmed in flash? i spent a day or two porting a dumb little flash game i made for a class project and submitted it and they sent me a playbook. i looked it up on the app store about six months after launch and it had 4 stars which was cool i guess but i think spoke more to the desolation of that landscape.

i still have it somewhere. it does still charge and turn on. super solidly built and super duper useless.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

ohhhhhhhhhh i remember this lol

yeah network engineering literally had to modify the wireless network so fuckin anroids could connect to it

yeah i remember in like 2010/11 stanford put out some notice that the increasing number of android devices on campus was crippling their wireless network. lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bozhe moi

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm curious about the cultural history of the wearing a barrel thing. Was that ever a real phenomenon? Was there a time in history when an iron-banded oak barrel and some leather suspenders was cheaper than ragged clothes? Or was it some sort of shame-based punishment meted out to debtors? How common was it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How about just "sexface" and avoid all the stupid teenage edge

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

For example, L and R are not distinguishable when spoken in some languages. So when some people heard us say Android Lollipop out loud, it wasn’t intuitively clear that it referred to the version after KitKat. 

this is one of the dumbest piece of poo poo post-hoc justifications I've ever heard.

What is the scenario where you're telling some Japanese monk about Android versions and he knows the English alphabet (because he would have to to understand the sequence in the first place) but doesn't know what a lollipop is or about the R L confusion and also it's only talking about it, nothing is written down

I mean the candy names were stupid and juvenile but for gently caress's sake just say "we're deprecating those" you don't have to make up vaguely racist reasons like this to justify it

loving nerds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I for one love to be chatting with my friends about stuff in my third party chat programme only to have adverts displayed to me for what we were discussing the next time I log in to Facebook or am scrolling a google page

Get rid of your Facebook account

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they named the, uh

seventeenth version of android "android 10"

also lol @ still having a Q codename and pretending they don't. why does google just do the stupidest thing possible every SINGLE SECOND OF THE GOD DAMNED DAY

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what if, uh, like, you have the big meeting in an hour and you haven't shaved and you are staying in a hotel that has no electricity. then what

e: also the hotel has no free disposable razors and there are no convenience stores

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

folding my phone into a mobius strip to tweet

That's two dimensions, stupid

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the better lenovo ones (i.e. the thinkpad yoga) suck the keyboard into the case when they fold backwards so that it feels sort of flat instead of like you're holding a keyboard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the thinkpad yoga really makes the macbook pro look even more batty

a windows laptop,
made by a chinese manufacturer,
with a keyboard that loving retracts itself into the case when you fold the screen,
still has dished keys with at least 2mm of travel,
that don't jam when an especially large bacterium sneaks under one of the keys,
and is the exact same size, weight and thickness as the macbook pro.

baffling

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

love 2 hold my hands in midair, supported by nothing, while interacting with my electronic device. not even a little tiring.

very good and useful especially for those cases where my phone is between 1 arm length and 1 arm length + 5 inches away.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just type /pizza in main chat!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's quite bad as far as delivery pizza chains go, but it can only ever be second worst thanks to vater johann, pizzakoch der viertes reich

little caesar's is probably the most ethical since the owner is a cool guy who secretly paid for rosa parks' apartment until she died.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

also dead: google clips

what was google clips? an "ai" camera that took pictures for you, whenever it decided to, and decidedly very poorly

it's unclear who came up with the idea, or thought this was a thing anyone anywhere would want to buy, but it survived for two whole years

This was a Microsoft project called lifecam or something back in the late 90s so I guess it's not surprising that Google independently invented it 20 years later

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It sounds like they should have used a higher pwm frequency for the backlight. Wtf is 250hz lol I can do 10khz with any LED any day for like 50 cents

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, it's oled? Well that's extra stupid then since it's all the same controller. Why the gently caress wouldn't they use a frequency that's a multiple of both 60 and 90 Hertz

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A thing I have thought while looking at students' iPads pro, etc: "that's a nice smooth screen"

A thing I have never thought: "I desperately need that screen on my phone and will give up battery life to have it"

Like who gives a poo poo. 60hz is fine for literally anything

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

whew at least blood is affordable

do one for francium

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pram posted:

lol forgot these even existed

I'm the agenda

No, the other agenda

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sniep posted:

didn't the results of this suck rear end

like compared to a $400 best buy entry level aps-c crop sensor DSLR and kit lens

just demolished that fucker?

Cell phone cameras will always be worse than camera cameras because it is just phenomenally easier to make a high-quality lens when you have a lot of space to work with. Doesn't matter how much post-processing work you do; you can't get past optical physics.

that's beyond the point, though, because cell phone cameras have been good enough for all consumers for at least 3 or 4 years now, and every new feature is purely marketing fluff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wanna get a nikon z6 but i want to try one out in person and all the bests buy around here either tell me "oh no, we don't have a demo model of that, but we can totally order it for you" or "uhhh we had a demo one but it got stolen, but we can totally order it for you"

helpful. i'm not gonna buy a nearly 2000 dollar camera without feeling how it feels.

does samy's camera have a good selection of floor models? i keep seeing ads for them on the buses

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

folding screens are stupid. if they can make a screen that can fold in half, i want one that rolls out of the side like i'm unfurling a blueprint. and it should retract like a pull-down blind rolling up into its housing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my watch updates at 32768 Hz.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i guess this is the google thread so i wanted to post that google maps is real stupid because when i put in an airport code like KMER it says "couldn't find anything for that" but the first suggested search result is always the airport i'm looking for. stupid dumb poo poo. stupid programmers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iPhone elitism is a very pure form of wealthy american elitism.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think you were using it seriously, but deriding anything as "for poors" is a bad look imo. Even if it's ironic.

Also you do work for Apple iirc and we had an apple guy come and give a talk about design a while back and he spent like a third of it needlessly dunking on Android (e.g. slide with 1000 different phone models on it: "this is why they can't have a good experience") rather than talking about good design, and made a bunch of elitist comments, so like, idk, corporate culture

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 23, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

those days are over. $1500 these days buys you a top-of-the-line pc with something like a ryzen 3900 and a 2070 super, which draws like 500 watts peak, throttles down to a tenth of that, and can be equipped with near-silent fans.

if you wana play twitchy games stadia will never feel right to you, but if you don't wanna play twitchy games stadia is a ripoff because you can do those on any computer made in the last 5 years without the google hardware and monthly fee.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

there was an article about the new Android air drop feature and I was like wait I remember doing that in 2012? you just tap your phones together and the NFC detects it. it was even more convenient than air drop.
oh

Yeah I used that four or five times because I thought it was particularly cool. Not a single other person knew of its existence though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

Google Glass Enterprise Edition Ice Cream Sandwich

thank you