Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

is this a real thing? someone out there thought it was a good idea to have the power button take screenshots?

realtalk it works fine on ios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Donald Trump uses Android.

Nuff said

proving that it's a phone for the infantile

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boiled Water posted:

lol how did that not come up at a planning meeting?

do they just not calibrate their poo poo?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
yeah if phone users are caring about color calibration you hosed up

if you're shipping phones that haven't been calibrated you hosed up

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BiohazrD posted:

its not just calibration, if you want uniform screens you have to pay more because they have a lower yield (and also apple buys all the good ones) and samesung is cheap

but they're "fixing" it with a software setting, which means they could/should be applying that setting at assembly time and not exposing it to the users

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Celexi posted:

anroid is bad but you must be doing something wrong if your windows pc needs janitoring
something wrong like having a windows pc

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

I'm curious how "wild" became the official descriptor for the fuscia interface because it looks pretty normal to me, one might even call it... mild? :twisted:

if you're looking for wild can i interest you in

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

not saying you're wrong but has anybody ever deployed an actually good user-facing java system?

early mac os x days had supported java bindings for cocoa so it's entirely possible that there were some sufficiently-concealed java apps that worked and nobody knew about

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

from happy grin to post-workout poop

uh the second one is definitely not a happy grin

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

guess what i just said

do you not have a happy grin while doing a post-workout poop because if not you should eat more leafy greens

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

duTrieux. posted:

somebody ought to petition to add :stare: to the standard emoji set

😳

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

why doesnt the android picture have the equivalent google emoji?

they're riding the motorcycles

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

made a bit of a faux pas though when he said what his job was and i was like "oh you're a computer janitor" like that was a positive thing to say

obviously clueless on my part but his face just turned bright red and he started trembling and shaking his head

i describe my current task as "jenkinss janitor" (when i'm not calling it "jenkems")

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

why would the orientation of the panel matter?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bulgakov posted:

um...anroid?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DuckConference posted:

It might just be power of suggestion, but I definitely see something similar when scrolling on a pixel that's upside down. Presumably it's not the actual AMOLED module being mounted upside down, but something a little more subtle elsewhere in the chain.

what if the link between gpu and screen isn't fast enough to update the whole screen at once so it has to change row by row

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bobby Digital posted:

even the display wants to do a 180 away from an anroid

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Blue Train posted:

It affects the scrolling, if you care google oneplus jelly scrolling

yeah if you're granny drawing and not double buffering like you should

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

Essential, the smartphone maker from Android co-founder Andy Rubin, is staying mum on whether its titular gadget has been delayed. News organizations began pinging the company last week when it was clear Essential missed its 30-day shipping deadline set by Rubin himself at the Code Conference in late May. The company has not appeared to respond to any of these requests, including The Verge’s, leaving pre-order buyers and other interested parties in the dark on the fate of the Android-powered handset.

we haven't heard of anyone dying so I guess it wasn't essential after all

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

it just occurred to me that everyone that develops android is running Linux desktops. they literally don't know what a good UI is.

can't you do it on windows or macos too? 'cause android is just java and the emuilator is qemu?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

iirc dialing 112 from a gsm phone in north america will get you emergency services too

yeah emergency calls get handled differently than normal calls so the phone can just match any emergency number but that's why cryanogen phones crash I guess

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

A Pinball Wizard posted:

The so called 911 phone reboot is caused by the users' eyes persistence of vision (visual staying phenomenon or duration of vision)

lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

don't throw that word around, especially when you're the one defending an android

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boiled Water posted:

my little brother wants a phone but hates apple and rejects the true phone. what anroid can he have and not have it be a pos

don't get invested in his poor choices, you don't want to be held responsible for them

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

android: broken from the hardware up

https://www.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p-bootloop-fix/

just run on the low power cores, great job qualcomm. to install this fix you will need:

- a USB cable
- a hairdryer

just take it back to the one plus store

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

call it 'none more black' in tribute to spinal tap, and then whenever you have overflow issues just proclaim 'these go to 11' and don't bother fixing anything

isn't that what the google nexus or whatever calls their black?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Athletic Footjob posted:

do those suffer from colonel panics?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

my car is ultramarine

mine's red

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

im not sure i have an accurate read but my quick and dirty assessment is there is one camp

dipshits

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sleepwalkers posted:

look at this chucklefuck promoting harbor freight junk
also its alarming how far someone has to go in that thread for me to finally go "okay thats definitely a fakepost"

if you're sanding down unfinished edges on your discount trashphone then harbour freight is both fitting, in a way, and the only tools that fit your budget

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

are you ready for a samsung galaxy note event motherfuckers?

because you're getting one! today!!

how big will the screen be?
what stupid gimmick will they add only to abandon next year??
bixby???

get hype!!!

comes with a free bucket of sand and one of those bags they keep on airliners to contain lithium ion battery fires

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

(lol remember being able to tweet from the notification center?)

i liked that, easy shitposting without having to go to that awful website

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

https://hal.inria.fr/hal-01575519/document

quote:

On Android, disabling Wi-Fi is not necessarily sufficient to prevent the device from sending WiFi
frames as some devices still generate Wi-Fi frames after Wi-Fi has been disabled. Therefore,
disabling Wi-Fi is not enough to escape data collection by Wi-Fi tracking systems.
To prevent the device from sending Wi-Fi frame, it is necessary to disable two features on the
device: both Wi-Fi and the "Always allow scanning" option must be disabled in order to have
a silent device. On some devices this option is not even available, meaning that the user cannot
prevent its phone from sending Wi-Fi frames.
Although most recent versions of Android include MAC address randomization [1], there are
still a number of devices that are not supporting this feature. The MAC address randomization
feature has been introduced in version 6.0 of Android, and as of today 54.2% of Android devices
are using an older version [2]. Furthermore, MAC randomization is activated provided that the
hardware supports it, which is rarely the case as of 2017 [6].

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

Doesnt this mean your phone could like, violate FCC regs because its busy handshaking the in-air wifi over and over. Of course you're supposed to have your phone powered off anyway but, well.

aiui it's not handshaking, just broadcasting an identifier and listening for base station broadcasts

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i actually like that my TV has a tuner in it. i got one of those crazy new antennae for broadcast TV so me and some friends could watch the big game on it last year. worked pretty well actually. my needs were suited.

yeah for world cup 2014 i used my antenna and watched soccer on univision all day, it was great

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Encrypted posted:

remember the time they want to simplify their line up but still. end up with like 10 skus?

remember the time HTC sold a phone that gave users awful headaches

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eric posted:

Quick reminder that android users are the product not the customer.

why hasn't google gotten in trouble for their defective products then

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

Im not saying people should be janitoring their phones more but I really wish you could do stuff like disable the annoying rear end HEADPHONE VOLUME AT UNSAFE LEVELS alert without jailbreaking the phone with some retard's buggy romhack.

get a headphone amp or better headphones or don't listen to your poo poo so loud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

lol at having to charge an otherwise passive accessory

smh if you're not charging your wired headphones already