Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol that's going to break within a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Love to cover 1/4th of my tiny windshield with garbage shitphones

Apr 7, 2003

Last Chance posted:

It just kept getting worse and sad

Phone posting with a glossy screen. Smh

Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

the iPhone X is almost 3 years old and is destroying every android. I was told in this very thread that android chips are competitive now.

I'm still using my iPhone X because it's as fast as I need and it's completely pristine despite being my EDC (every day carry).

Just a phone for the ages.

Apr 7, 2003

I sorta miss the fingerprint scanner in our masked-up era.

Apr 7, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

sarnsung is launching the galaxy fold 2 in a couple of weeks. they have answered critics of the first generation by making the phone more expensive

$3000 for a samsung product lmaoooo

Apr 7, 2003

Imagine paying for a google service lol

Apr 7, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

seems dumb to do the work on 2-screen android when that is supposed to be the central gimmick for windows x or whatever they’re going to call their next failed sku

also Kyocera did the exact same thing ten years ago

Apr 7, 2003

i vomit kittens posted:

my pixel 2 ran out of battery which means it took the opportunity on reboot to update me to android 11 and lmao this poo poo is hosed up:

- copy and pasting no longer works. instead of long pressing on a text box and being given the option to paste, the paste option is now in the spot where your spell check/autocomplete suggestions appear once you start typing. this wouldn't be that bad except it only shows up on empty text boxes so you cannot paste something after any other text. also, it only works about 1 in 10 times you press the paste button, but it disappears after you press the button so you have to continuously minimize the keyboard and bring it back up to keep trying to paste poo poo until it finally does.

- the "back" gesture nav no longer does anything at all

- getting multiple notifications at the same time no longer tiles them vertically, they just appear on top of each other. trying to swipe the top one away so that you can read the one below it actually removes the bottom one.

lol people keep buying androids

Apr 7, 2003

I used Pandora back in the day and every station you made would eventually turn into the Red Hot Chili Peppers all the time.

Apr 7, 2003

ahhahhhahahhhah lol

Apr 7, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

some goalpost-moving to it too, the ikea stuff probably makes money just fine, but as it amounts to being able to configure the blinds and lights to respond to the same button i don't think most people count it as very smart.

I have the Sonos ikea speakers and they're pretty nice

Apr 7, 2003

The only excuse for that poo poo back in the day is that the phones were cheaper than iPhones. Fourteen hundred smackaroos to stare at ads while you pay for the bandwidth to serve them to you. What the gently caress lol

Apr 7, 2003

I've got a group chat with my brothers and the android users do the same thing, so it's across the board.

Apr 7, 2003

haha cool

Apr 7, 2003

anroid

Apr 7, 2003

The Kins posted:

lg is apparently considering just shutting down their smartphone division after being unable to negotiate sales to vingroup and, uh, volkswagen

alas, the world may never know the joys of a rollable phone

Literal Garbage

Apr 7, 2003

Imagine ever having to think or care about android services or anything Google pushes besides gmail and search

Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

we just had an ~*innovation*~ guy talk in our all hands and he thought the google graveyard was a) an official google site and b) used by them as an inspirational tool to show their commitment to not getting attached to unsuccessful products

I did not bother correcting him, the ceo was on the line

lol

Apr 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

you'd be surprised, actually. there was one dude who was insisting for months that his iphone 12 pro was dropping frames and if the *next* update it didn't fix it he was definitely getting a samsung because have you gone to best buy and seen the screen? repeat for every ios 14 point release until 14.5 finally fixed whatever he was seeing.

he also then pointed at his geekbench score being lower

This guy needs something else in his life

Apr 7, 2003

The Galaxy Z Flip 3 or whatever the gently caress Samsung is pushing so hard in TV ads is $1000.

$1000 for a phone that will absolutely fail within a year.

lmao

Apr 7, 2003

The galaxy z fold is 1200. lol

Apr 7, 2003

that guy's a real weirdo

Apr 7, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

lmao imagine having an internal combustion car in 2022, still paying for gas like a sucker. having to worry about the price of oil per barrellm just imagine it lmao. oh no russia is at war now better go fill a trash bag with gasoline

I wonder how the massive portions of the country where on-street parking is the norm are supposed to charge their electric cars.

Oh well, nothing outside of Mountain View counts

Apr 7, 2003

Building 76m personal automobiles every year is utterly unsustainable whether they're internal combustion or battery powered.

The electric car 'revolution' is a feel good excuse for people to change their life minimally while they pretend they make a difference.

Apr 7, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

power cables running from peoples houses to the car parked in front of the house are pretty common here. it's sometimes kinda annoying when they don't suspend it high enough above the sidewalk or cheap out on the cover to run it on the ground.

That would get people electrocuted here or get you sued when someone tripped over it, or just straight up get vandalized or stolen.

Apr 7, 2003

Lysidas posted:

a house close to me has an electric car charging spot in one of the parking spaces adjacent to their house, with a clearly marked sign on the street marking it as such

There is no reserved parking in my neighborhood outside of handicapped spots. There are few garages or driveways and with 30' wide lots and multiple cars per household being the norm getting the spot right out in front of your house is pretty unlikely.

I frequently have to park up at the top of the hill a block away and walk back if I move the car on Saturday or any time after 4:00 PM.

Electric cars are a pipe dream for the millions upon millions upon millions of Americans who live in neighborhoods like mine across the country, you are better off pushing car shares or just developing around transit hubs than you are trying to make these places electric car friendly.

Apr 7, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

strangely every car except Tesla is moving toward android soon.

Soon your Android will crash literally multiple times a day

Apr 7, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

If only there were other ways to charge your car. Alas, it's a shame batteries cannot hold a charge for longer than a day and must be charged every night. :smith:

Indeed, any suggestions?

Apr 7, 2003

mediaphage posted:

you idiot, poors who can't afford a house with a charger should just get new jobs that have electric car charging for free in their parking lot

I don't drive to work

I haven't driven to work in over a decade

next suggestion

Apr 7, 2003

mediaphage posted:

why are you acting like that was a serious post

Because you're absurd joke post is no different than their serious posts

Apr 7, 2003

mediaphage posted:

also the egotism that some bloggers have in writing a farewell letter

nobody gives a gently caress dude, go work somewhere else it's fine

tech blogs are total unreadable trash anymore and I don't look at any of that poo poo, half of it is "I think x should do y" and the other half is "here's a render I made that Apple may make", both of these things are completely loving worthless.

Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

every company of a certain size does this. they tell you never to discuss anything potentially compromising over email, and if you’re talking about something that might end up bad CC lawyers and rubber stamp it with privileged and confidential.

I used to work in risk management at the biggest laboratory product distributor in the US and this was hammered into us over and over and over again, do not email anything that's even vaguely questionable and do not discussion personal information in an email. You'll look real dumb poking fun at your wife in an email that ends up being subpoenaed into the public record.

Apr 7, 2003

andoird

Apr 7, 2003

More like Smells Fartgo

Apr 7, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

a friend of mine just switched and switched back to android because he did not like the lack of a back button

Your friend probably actually just fell on hard times and wanted an excuse for why he was switching back to the poorphone

Apr 7, 2003

so poor he can't afford a nice watch and has to use an android to tell the time, very sad

Apr 7, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

anroid users: just have the latest and greatest model of non-anroid phone always on standby when you get tired of your piece of poo poo phone being a piece of poo poo

lol

Apr 7, 2003

I haven't paid attention to the android ecosystem for years at this point but it still seems like it's driven entirely by novelty for the sake of novelty, and if you just want to use a phone to use a phone and not worry about it you're still going Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the only real issues android has in 2022 is the ongoing updating and privacy issues, and those are by and large by design

Counterpoint: the android phone is bad