Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

butt dickus posted:

sony makes way more of the tumor-edition ps5 and the digital xbox has half the storage and 1/4 the graphics capability as the fridge one. i bought the replacement plates for the digital ps5 ages ago and still haven't been able to get one
yeah i was going to say example 2 has some great big asterisks on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tiny phone wanters, your desire has arrived

https://twitter.com/katienotopoulos/status/1600590861976621056?s=20&t=Ze4Dl6qAV2NcOfQtlo_lYQ

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

~Coxy posted:

you mean "copying Apple again" because only setting a single timer is an iPhone peculiarity

you can set mulitple, you just have to do it with siri

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

honestly, samsung's biggest sin is insisting that they need to put their own version of every app alongside the stock ones google requires be included on an android phone, so you end up with two browsers, two email apps, two contacts, etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

android really is a fantastic example of open source working only for the big corporations. if fragmentation was such that different manufacturers had their own aosp spin and if i felt e.g. sony was more trustworthy and competent i could go with them it'd be great. messy, but great.

in reality things are "free" enough that open source people volunteer tons of work for it, that it gets good pr and apparent tweakability, but no fork which is not in reality fully controlled by google has any impact or penetration at all. like you get one person here ot there running lineageos or whatever feeling real smug, but they're overall contributing *more* to the hegemony (as those small forks doing way more aosp work per user than anyone else) while patting themselves on the back for denying google a few cents worth of information.

no one is using lineageos without installing google services to actually make it useful as a phone, so google still gets those few cents worth of information lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

who looks at file sizes on their phones

android users probably

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

isn't android auto like carplay where the actual application is running on the host phone and the car is mostly just an interactive screen?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

no that’s android auto, this is android automotive which is an entirely different product, where the entire car infotainment system is running a version of android

i legit didn't know this was a thing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Or you can just do it directly in the Samsung Gallery app if you have a decent phone.

I'm not seeing that in the App Store

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iphones are canonically for non-technical women and children, op

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google kills their pixel pass program that lets you get a new phone every two years after 22 months

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/08/google-kills-two-year-pixel-pass-subscription-after-just-22-months/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what the hell is a surface android

oh wait is this that weird double screen thing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mostly they became the poster child for throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks and little did. they made a billion different phones that were impossible to tell apart and Samsung (and to a lesser extent Motorola) eventually did a better job of selling products that were easy to differentiate while marketing WAY better. htc also made early pixel phones but that was before they had any real popularity at all beyond the Uber nerds.

basically everyone just buys Samsung or Apple

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

what is the difference between a streaming device and a set-top box? i thought those were the same thing? and i also thought google rebranded android tv to google tv except for tvs that already had android tv where it stayed android tv

some streaming devices aren't set-top, duh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sb hermit posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/googles-pixel-storage-issue-fix-requires-developer-tools-and-a-terminal/

if the latest update completely broke your pixel phone, Google now has a solution

it involves

• enabling developer options on the phone (tap build number 7 times)
  • download and extract the sdk platform tools to a host computer
  • connect phone to host computer and set to the file transfer connection mode
  • open a terminal on the host computer, go to the platform tools folder, and type “./adb uninstall com.google.android.media.swcodec” and “./adb uninstall com.google.android.media”
  • reboot the phone
  • cross your fingers

small cost to be able to change my system font, isheep :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

if your phone is set up correctly: one page of your most-used apps, and everything else living in the library, this is irrelevant