Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Blue Train posted:

smart tvs are all poo poo

i just got a new one with amazon firetv built in so that's nice otherwise i would have had to buy a firetv for it because gently caress using whatever homebrewed tvos these companies come up with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

poor android. thought of updates and died

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

same but 69

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

it's surprising in the same way i'm surprised by the sun rising each morning.

same, except disappointed

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

President Beep posted:

android 666: treble trouble

ahem

the trouble with trebles

:tipshat:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
holy lol the verge just gave a 3 to the red hydrogen gimmick phone, that's like a negative number from anybody else

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/29/18027782/red-hydrogen-one-review-all-hype

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

i'm the 2 LTE signal strength meters with different values

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
you mean leasing a top of the line escalade and driving it for a pittance wasn't a savvy financial move? color me shocked.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

carry on then posted:

this would be the first to have a scanning electron microscope though

:thurman:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

considering how potentially volatile the battery in my phone currently is i don't want that anywhere near my dick me

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

How come you did not mention the "Scoped Storage" which is destroying the core Android functionality of file management into the stupid iOS type sandboxed castrated trash. This doesn't qualify for a deep dive, because that change is HUGE vs these stupid Chat heads or that big blocking volume panels.

Look at the Potato Custom ROM1 and think about how worse google did just because to satisfy kids.

The Scoped Storage kills the whole file management as we know on Android to iOS sandboxing, they depreciated the Read and Write external storage permissions to the Mediastore usage of the Photos, Videos and Audio collections only. That means no app can access other apps files there's simply no permissions. Except for SAF, SAF is a slow one and heavily downgraded, recall the photo/file picker when you send anything over WhatsApp, that's one of the main feature of SAF since it treats all storage spaces from Cloud and Local as well.

You cannot write to those files unless you use Mediastore again only stupid predefined 3 types of files. Document viewer, Text editor, zip extractor that I use with FX Explorer app (Strongly recommend to use it, very powerful) all are dead once they target Q (They must because of the enforcing of Google, else delisted, more in below links)

Check the commons blog from Murphy to understand more (link in the end) this is to cripple Android Filesystem access in the name of Security (No reason why there are no granular permission gating). This is another wrath of Google's Draconian grip on Android which is user hostile and fundamentally against the principle of Android.

They killed a lot of things and this one is massive, Read over at this Issue tracker and Star it. See the transgressions of this bullshit change.

Another powerful feature of Android gets booted because kids or iOS mimic.

List of downgrades that Google did so far in ruining Android (old comment)

Removal of undocumented APIs in Pie and Q

Draw over other apps,

Killing notifications for notch,

Clock icons to accommodate Notch no resolution still even after 300+ stars,

Killing clipboard access permanently without permission gating,

Killing the expandable toggles,

Putting every icon into dinner plates to force the uniform icons look vs the material design and unique shapes, and now forcing them with PlayStore, to mimic iOS.

Killing the SMS and call log access, again no permission gating.

Proprietary inclusions into android heavily (more reliability on Google Apps/Play services) and undermining the AOSP.

Accessibility death,

Rootless substratum block 5000 stars no effect.

Play Store restrictions clamps for latest API,

Cloning iOS multitasker and killing a more sensible vertical scroll system (phones have vertical screens), forcing the looks of the play store icons to mimic s singular shape like iOS.

It's a shame to Android community I remember how Chevron Unlock died on WinPhone OS due to that Satya Nadella sending lawyers to their home to block the .reg edit and allowing that OS to take off like a Win7 successor on mobiles.

Same thing in a different skin, Abusing their power to draconian levels and duopoly bullshit 5000+ stars in the issue tracker, nothing zero effect as if people are fools to use that ?

I strongly suggest Tech press to mention this because all these corporations move ONLY with the bad PR, look at the Apple Keyboard flaws but since all is mainstream no one cares to bother..sadly.

Last note, read this fantastic blog, he not only covered the Scoped Storage extensively but also a great insight of direction from Google's death grip POV of Android and their plans to put more clamps on the OS crippling it to satisfy their stupidity of Ecosystem anti liberty lockdown.

Massive change of file system essentially turning it into a full fledged iOS cheap clone but with AOSP and Linux GNU GPL they cannot, and somehow fail to realize it as well. But they are working on it as well the MIT based Fuchsia OS which doesn't enforce any changes to the OSS code. And ChromeOS, how locked down it is vs Android.

Thankfully Root is achieved on Q (Magisk Dev Twitter) it had problems initially but for now we are good.

Edit 2 : Please read this reddit post at r/androiddev as well, how worse the situation is for developers and users.

a. i'm not reading any of that
b. source you are quotes

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

i'm the 1/2 second hitch during the camera assembly rotation when it slides closed

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lomarf

https://petapixel.com/2019/04/29/nubia-red-magic-3-smartphone-shoots-8k-and-has-a-built-in-cooling-fan/

hey let me video this!

/whirrrrrr, battery counter starts visibly decrementing

not just a cooling fan, liquid cooling as well

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

creationist believer posted:

the motorola xoom offers the true android experience. it won "best in show" when it was shown off at CES

was that the one that won best in show and nobody was even allowed to touch it?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

graph posted:

and a plastic nib-in-place for the future cellular antenna

yes!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I see browsers are trying to catch up to android fragmentation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

oh and you joke about custom ROMs (which i dont do) but after rooting my phone guess who can block ads on my phone at the hosts level? :smug:

i dont even get ads in actual apps like Waze. suck it chump

jfc