Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pinterest Mom posted:

his job is "graduate student"
i.e. "unemployed", working on unlocking "unemployable"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

project butter
i thought butter was the "lets make scrolling less stuttery and laggy " initiative

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
cool its swsp

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

said no one, ever
i just did :shobon:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

google is now requiring android manufacturers to offer security updates for two years from release. i'm sure this won't quietly be forgotten when no one actually bothers with it like last time they tried this
how many times has google done the "no, this time we are serious about forcing oems and carriers to provide updates or at the very least security updates, really we are" dance. four? five? more?

is it more or less than the number of times theyve promised that is totally going to be the year that we get serious about making and selling hardware?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol literally a 3ds (with headache-inducing lenticular screen) but as a lovely $1300 phone

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:stare:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

i watch football ota, and the quality is v good.
you obviously dont live in the cleveland area

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fabricated posted:

My 5t got the Pie update and all I noticed was that everything is a bit rounder
so it came with a free mirror?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
he also spends at least two paragraphs of every phone review either 1) whining about the lack of a headphone jack and damning apple for removing them or 2) praising the presence of a headphone jack and damning apple for taking them out

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
google trying to make hardware is a neverending source of lols*

somehow theyre even worse at it than apple is at web services, original content, and gaming

* with the weird exception of the chromecast, which is just perfect (and perfectly priced) for what it does

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

speaking of, google allo officially shut down yesterday
google plus only has days to live, too

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol the peel-off protective plastic coating turned out to be load-bearing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
she also made bbry nerds angry when she put a sliced of kraft american cheese on her bbry passport hen she reviewed it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
is there a chance the screen could bend?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

you should get a pixel because google will obviously not abando-

oh
yes but have you considered i installed the latest ios on my five year old iphone and now its kind of slow

loving greedy CRAPple!!!1!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

it was the bb ones

remember when 'truckfuls' of them went 'missing'
i remember when the cops busted someone for stealing them from the cellphone store he worked at and reselling them

corporate was tipped when someone became suspicious that one store was actually ordering double digits worth of bbry devices and investigated

also: remember when bbry sent a playbook to anyone who was willing to write an app for it? even if that app was something like "shows the current time in big numbers on the screen"?

i wonder if crackberry is still in operation and still has active posters doing their best impersonation of comp.sys.amiga.advocacy circa 2000?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

super solidly built and super duper useless.
dsyp

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sniep posted:

no that was me

i screen capped an app from the early app store and posted it here a few times a million years ago

i am surprised people even remember the 'meme' if it was one

e: my god, it still exists, a ~decade later,

sam meech ward probably has his own private beach on maui from burp and fart piano

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Midjack posted:

burping and farting all the way to the bank
livin' the dream

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
bbry went all in on adobe air as its default app development environment only to have adobe cancel air literally a week before the playbook shipped

(losing the signal was a great great read)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cocoa Crispies posted:

reserved it from my local public library
its not particularly analytical - its a mostly journalism as a first draft of history, as told through extensive on-the-record interviews with the two principals (sillyballs and laserdilz). its pretty easy to read between the lines as to what happened and how it all fell apart, though

basically:
1) they grew so fast they didnt take the time to properly deal with tech debt and build proper future roadmaps so the code became this incredibly unstable pile of spaghetti c++ near the end (which is why late-era blackberrys were so amazingly unstable). its almost a perfect case study in how tech debt will destroy you if you do nothing to address it
2) the co-ceo structure worked fine when the company could do no wrong and was growing like gangbusters, but once things turned tough the co-ceo structure strangled every attempt to turn the company around (again, an almost perfect case study in why companies usually have only one chief executive officer)

the actual details are amazing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
google io more like google j/o

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol my favourite thing is when they drop a service and it's the first time i've even heard of it
lol they just announced they were shutting down Trips (their travel booking/comparison/planning site) and my first reaction was "google had a travel booking/planning/comparison site?"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"load bearing screen protector" will probably be the greatest tech story of 2019

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

I'm curious about the cultural history of the wearing a barrel thing. Was that ever a real phenomenon? Was there a time in history when an iron-banded oak barrel and some leather suspenders was cheaper than ragged clothes? Or was it some sort of shame-based punishment meted out to debtors? How common was it?

its on topic for this thread because the android ecosystem is likewise full of piss

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Kins posted:

bloomberg is reporting that sarnsung has completed a version of the galaxy fold that they hope is safe for human consumption.
the screen protector is still load-bearing, they just made it harder to peel off

almost two thousand earth dollars for a device that will fail in a couple of weeks instead of a couple of hours

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1156921597263011841

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

like, every android watch uses the same soc: a qualcomm from last year that was a minor update to one from 2016 because qualcomm gives literally no shits about the wearable market and no one else cares enough to bother making a competitor other than samsung but they don't sell to anyone else and use them in tizen watches. like, qualcomm couldn't even be arsed to shrink the die or use a newer process.
iirc sarnsung makes their own wearable socs for their wearables (they run tizen not anroid though)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jimmy Carter posted:

The android guy got tired of explaining his dick to women so he made a phone that looked like one
i showed your my dickphone (pls respond)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
samsung s-gestures are back - in pog form!

also: this is literally the ui use case predicted by hitchhikers guide to the galaxy back in 1979 or whenever

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
seems more defensive than anything else - google has an interest in keeping apple from sewing up the entire wearable/health monitor, even if it means losing money

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

Fitbit is already a walking corpse. they will die regardless of whether google buys them. 5 years ago their stock was at $48/share. last week it was at $4.50. they have no profits and everyone that wants a Fitbit already bought one. they blew their wad on their Apple Watch knockoff and it didn’t seem to have done anything.
they were also a fad. people bought fitbits, found that they didnt actually make them any healthier or fitter or more prone to exercise, and consigned 95% of them to sit in a drawer somewhere. theyre the cyber gadget equivalent of the nautilus or bowflex machine that becomes an ugly laundry rack

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
one of the points of pixel/nexus was to keep the oems from racing completely to the bottom and turning the anroid marketplace into a complete junkyard. if other companies are adopting the things that made the google phones stand out (reliable updates, top of the line cameras, etc) to the point where google phones seem kind of superfluous, well mission accomplished i guess

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol stadia producing 2020 laffs at an solid rate

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1214322600635228160

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol at the ars review of the galaxy fold

quote:

The Galaxy Fold is an exercise in how not to build a foldable smartphone. Developing a totally new form factor like this is something that requires careful consideration of how the hardware and software would work together, but Samsung seemed more concerned with being first to market than making a good product. The embarrassing, fumbled launch period wasn't an aberration, the Fold is a start-to-finish rush job that can't back up any of the hype. This is an aborted prototype that was rushed onto the market for rich suckers. Let us repeat: do not buy it.

The good

Samsung took a risk and tried something different. You at least have to give the company that.
Some games are pretty good on the larger Fold display.

The bad

The front screen is too small for phone duties, the inner screen is too small to be a tablet.
The display is exceptionally delicate, and I had constant anxiety that I was going to break it.
Samsung didn't put any effort into the software. It runs basically the same phone OS as a Galaxy S10, despite being a radically different device.
This is a real pocket buster. It weighs a ton, and it's twice as thick as a normal smartphone.
The hinge takes two hands to open and close, and the spring assist has way too much power behind it.
The raised bezel makes using Android's numerous edge gestures a chore.

The ugly

The phone. It's a thick, heavy, clunker of a device, and somehow Samsung wants to pitch this as the future.
other than that what did you think of the play mrs lincoln?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

personally i'll wait and see what neil young has to say about it
i always take audio advice from a guy who has been standing in front of giant stacks of amplifiers onstage for the last fifty years, thats someone who can really hear the subtle differences between different encoding methods

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
eh?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol remember hen sony put out digital music players before the ipod and they were really nice and would have been contenders...except they only played ATRAC-format files (and not mp3s)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
im the "unsatisfying hinge"