Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

what the gently caress the android Onedrive client ignores the folder you put pictures in and just spews everything into "camera roll" this is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Isn't tizen coded in some completely insane language/pattern or something?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

if you aren't using yyyy/mm/dd I don't even know what to tell you

Shaggar posted:

this is correct

Shaggar was wrong

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh no the thread is recursing

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

today I tried to use android auto because my built in sat nav cannot find addresses for poo poo and it started disconnecting every minute which was extremely annoying when it was half way through directions and the solution was..... I have no idea. I changed some settings at random and it stopped doing it? but idk why because the error didn't tell me the problem in the first place

other than that, it's fine.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

crepeface posted:

oof.

look we've all been there. when the baddie on the line sends you nudes.exe you open it.

echi alt spotted lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh great the android auto app is still randomly disconnecting the usb but only sometimes. It'll go a 2 hour journey without doing it then do it every 30 seconds the next time.

gently caress Google your poo poo is garbage

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

dioxazine posted:

i'm still kind of looking between the oneplus 8 or the 9. oxygen/hydrogenOS seems kind of neat

I have a oneplus 8T and it's very good, the OS is fine (except for the above mentioned usb disconnect bullshit!) and pretty non intrusive.

battery life and the warp charging is nuts, like 0 to fully charged in 15 minutes

E: they give you a rubber bumper case in the box which is annoying because I bought the sandstone case for it and it's huge and I took it off. Also the pre fitted screen protector is trash so I took it off and then scratched the screen 2 days later :rip:

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 18, 2021

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

dioxazine posted:

what kind of screen protector did you end up getting? oneplus' 8T protector seems out of stock at their official store

none at the moment so I'm just living with the scratch for now

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

dioxazine posted:

oof! i'll take a closer look at the 8T and probably make the purchase decision by end of july as my current phone is slowly on its way out

thanks for sharing!

it might also send all your data to the chinese government but at least you know that rather than sarnsung just leaking it through incompetence

warp charge is 20% to full in 30 mins

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

sb hermit posted:

have you tried blasting the crap out of your charging port on your phone with compressed air?

I haven't actually

Agile Vector posted:

could be the car cable, too. i have an anker durable braided cable that is a bit touchy now after years of car use

It's a pretty new cable and a different phone seems to work which points to crud in the port.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

android auto disconnect 6 hour car journey trip report; it was dust lol

and woah did maps send me down some Ill advised routes. 'heres a one lane country road back way that shaves off 30 seconds from the trip but 30 minutes from your life in stress' thanks goog

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

indigi posted:

what map software do you use? I use google on my iPhone and it will route me directly into a +30 minute traffic jam if it saves half a mile. I looked it up and there’s no way to force it to choose the fastest route, they changed it to choose the “greenest” route

just raw Google maps. To be honest I think the car satnav does a better job on the route but the interface is dreadful (because the in car touch screen is poo poo) and it doesn't alert me to speed cameras

plus the android auto tidal integration is actually really slick

the actual Google map display in the car is pretty bad though

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

qirex posted:

google taking pages from the windows phone playbook for their smartwatch strategy

tl;dr, they announced the new better os that will fix everything but it won't work on the majority of shipped hardware

lol posted:

that list also leaves all of Samsung’s Tizen-based watches out. They’re currently the best option for most Android users

I mean you know your ecosystem is hosed when people are saying that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

that looks like something you'd (try and) win from a grabber game at a fair

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

"gaming solutions" lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I really hope that Young Kim is the son of Kim and has a son called Younger Kim

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

alright Mozilla seek to be committed to making Firefox on Android as bad as possible, stuff now randomly breaks or has defaults that can't be changed and half their docs are out of date since they moved to fenix or whatever it is. at the moment bookmarks won't load 80% of the time, I guess because it's loading them from their sync service or something? And every typed URL or opened favourite opens a new tab which it seems to be impossible to turn off and has been a bug for like 6 months so I end up with like 30 tabs open

so I guess my question is, are there any other not garbage browsers anymore? years back I used Opera but lol at going back to that.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

what the gently caress my phone updated and now I can't see any notifications on the lock screen and googles own help page points to a settings tab that doesn't exist

loving clowns

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I think I got it working, I had to enable "show message" or "bubble" or some nonsense like that.

god the settings menu is such trash. My wife actually has her lock screen permanently set to show a message saying "John Madden!" Because i set it as a joke and she couldn't work out how to disable it, now she just accepts it as a reminder that she married an idiot.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

well, my wife got a new phone and spent the day cursing Google for moving buttons and making poo poo mandatory/impossible to disable, the android war on the user continues

and when she's not looking I'm gonna set the lock screen to say "John Madden!" Again because she couldn't figure out how to turn that off :twisted:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

god drat OnePlus how have you managed to gently caress up a loving clock? phone updated and now you can only have one timer running at a time instead of being able to set multiples

at least the alarm toggles are actually possible to press now I guess, and you no longer have to drag the hands round on a clock face to set an alarm which was about the worst way to set it you could imagine

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

burnt the food because the timer on the Google clock app (which I had to download a new app for because the default one from OnePlus updated and no longer let's you set more than one at a time) didn't have notifications enabled on the alarm only went off if the phone was unlocked when it expired

fuckin' Google :rolleyes:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

it asked me for notification permissions the next time i opened the clock app :negative:

Jabor posted:

it is standard, unless the anroid oem decides to gently caress it up by making their own ios-like one.

idk what it about android manufacturers and feeling the need to gently caress with everything but every single one I've had has done it.

also peep the insane number of references in it, this is scrolled down!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

infernal machines posted:

and they are all different, there's no such thing as consistency in the UI, so expect to re-learn all your common workflows every time you change phones. also every time you update the os. also none of the apps work the same or use any kind of consistent visual style, so you'll just have to figure it out for every different app you use too

this is the price of freedom

it's not even consistent between goddamn versions. you used to (on android 12 I think) be able to access the wallet app via the lock screen by (long?) pressing the power button, but that's been removed in 13 and the default is to have unlock, swipe down, select wallet or set the wallet and NFC payments to be running constantly what the gently caress

you can change the stupid "Google assistant" icon on lock to open the wallet from lock but that's not obvious

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I mean look at this poo poo in the settings:

I guess the first group sort of makes sense because it's network related, but why is apps in the section related to security? why is sound in a section with wallpaper? why is none of it alphabetised???

e: why is there an "accounts" item that does not list your Google account and that is instead on an option called "Google"?

why is there a section for "parental controls" and then another one under "special features"called "kids space"

who looks at this and thinks "yes, this is a sensible UI"?

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 31, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

because the most important app-related settings concern whether they can read all your data and spy on you

these are both related to the look and feel of the human interface

why should it be?

because it's batshit that's why. If I want battery it should logically be near the top with "B" but instead it's most of the way down under the privacy settings (???)

if the sections had headers maybe it would make sense, but the fact they don't tells me that they couldn't think of any because guess what, there's no logical grouping of them so why not just use alphabetical ordering?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I got a warning yesterday saying "because your phone is low on power, alarms and timers may not behave as expected", what the gently caress?

and the reason it was on low power is that something has been draining the battery since a patch *and* the usb c port is hosed somehow so the cable doesn't always engage properly. both of these are OnePlus known issues I think.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

Never work for a company that is so dumb they indiscriminately lay off 12,000 employees with no thought about performance, seniority, contributions, or anything else.

I do kind of wonder if the former colleague that went to work for Google and who (as far as I can tell/remember) did nothing except churn out confluence pages about using agile and create hundreds of jiras is still there seeing as that was right jnt their insane hiring phase.

otoh seeing as they were a pm doing no work I assume they survived the cuts

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

trilljester posted:

Going back to that guy saying his Andoird was freaking out and calling 911 and poo poo, like, how does that even happen? What sort of goofy race condition could happen in that operating system that would cause that? lol

phone camera detected a dark skin tone nearby

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

i legit didn't know this was a thing

It's just a rerun of the threatening java installer that says "java runs everywhere it's even in your car"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lmbo imagine the hell of being the nerd who has to maintain a 15 year old version of anroid

iirc we source some garbage flash wrapper thing because years back one of our litany of idiot CTOs thought that Adobe Flex was the future and would remove the need to do any coding and some stuff still hasn't been moved off it or replaced

imagine working on that lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Bard up your rear end

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

gj android

I don't think this is the standard clock because the standard one doesn't let you run multiple timers, because obviously there are no circumstances where you might ever want to time multiple things at once

trust android developers to not know about cooking

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jabor posted:

the new hotness is apparently having multiple signal strength meters

that's because I've got two SIM cards in atm while I switch networks to one that doesn't show me max 4g but fails to actually do anything because the provider doesn't have enough capacity

I hosed up the transfer time for the number though so I'm gonna end up paying for a month I don't need on the old one

e: wait no it's transferring on the billing day and they've just pulled the card details so I've got away with it

60gb of data on the new one for £10 it's ridiculous

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

jesus loving christ google, could you actually make this poo poo any worse if you tried?

for a start, why can't your garbage photos app resize images, something I'm pretty sure I did as an undergrad "intro to MATLAB" course in 2002, but the play store search now has sponsored, recommended, more results, an advert for some poo poo, then recommended again, then more results again

just look at this trash (my screen is on), it's even given the same apps multiple times

also one of these app icons looks like a floppy dong lol

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 5, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

"fix your product by installing software from Samsung" these are the words of the utterly deranged

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

it's true :negative:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

lol guess who tesla is partnering with for 'smart homes' :allears:

lmao no loving way

god it could only be worse if they'd chosen Sony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

love to have my front door refuse to open because it's running Tizen and it's run out of memory after being on too long and needs a hard reboot