Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have one of the boox android eink tablets, and quite like it. it is not a slam dunk for anything, and is very pricy really, but the flexibility does pay off here and there. biggest bit for me being that my municipal library have an android app for ebooks/audiobooks, which i can then easily use. there's some workflow to put borrowed books onto other ereaders, but it is a lot fiddlier than just having the app right there to tap at the thing you want.

also some document annotation, where it being general android helps me in that marking students reports happens in a web-app which i can just browse to on the thing.

i'll absolutely keep an eye on the transflective lcd one too though, once you put android and a semi-proper soc on it you're already harming battery life enough to undermine a lot of the eink sell, so perhaps you might as well get a better refresh rate as well. or maybe i'll get an ipad.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the "we're no worse than android" defense does not sound that strong though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is pretty funny/silly, but simultaneously there is truth to it. like, no idea what anyone can do about it, but break your phone and you're not exactly going car-shopping and comparing.

to some extent of course it is down to them being good phones, but the pressure is for sure real too.

personally i'd like to get off both ios and android if i can, but my bank and even government agencies etc. make that almost impossible, which is for sure an issue if that state of things truly cannot change.