Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

crepeface posted:

an update on chrome/chromium-based browsers/apps broke physical media controls in youtube music (and youtube?)

the chaser:

if it was later revealed that youtube music was a google experiment just to see how much poo poo they could shovel on their most gullible users id absolutely believe it

the shuffle button did not work when casting until like last week. the repeat button still doesnt work. both buttons have always been there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

it’s an experiment in seeing how many bonuses and promotions they could rack up by shipping a new thing rather than maintaining the old thing. they don’t give a drat about the users.

i understand thats their thing but youd think the replacement new thing would need to be nominally functional to qualify. not necessarily good and obviously certainly not better than the thing its replacing but at least functional

i will say if im being honest that i respect someone getting a bonus and promotion by making music service incapable of playing music more than someone doing the same by making yet another functional chat service. theres at least some valor in commitment strictly to the grift

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

anyone mentioned how google moved the menu shortcut in the play store app from the top left corner, where it has been for maybe a decade, to the top right corner? i cannot fathom why they have done this. they know it's confused the poo poo outta people because they put pop-up notifications in the app advising that it's moved.

one its just change for changes sake. two is that side menus are discouraged because they conflict with gesture navigation (though googles never did because you couldnt grab them from the edge anyway). three is that theyre trying (and failing) to unify everything under that since the maps refresh

sb hermit is correct in that the idea is obviously one fewer place to look for poo poo but on the other hand some apps lean heavily on the side menu for navigation (like gmail) and theres not really a good one size fits all approach to ui design

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i just had a look at some other google apps and everyone who said that it was for a unified UI dealio is correct. in fact it looks like they're tryna make the entire top 1/8 of every app into a kind of search bar (like even for apps that in no way need one it still has a thing that looks like one) with the "your profile pic/main menu" thing on the top-right.

except for the google calendar app, that hasn't been touched and i think it's because they don't know how.

while youre not wrong the previous "unified" look was exactly the same with the top search bar where the app title is in the middle of it with the profile picture on the right except the left had a button for the hamburger menu

the question was why would they get rid of the left button and its because its time to change slide out menus to pop up ones ostensibly because they can interfere with gesture navigation

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mediaphage posted:

unless they've made a recent update though it's not nearly as useful or as responsive. the last time i tried it half the time it just didn't work and about half the rest would be delayed by up to several hours.

only with iphone users in my experience and only initially

also the feature of the emergency contact app is that you could quickly have a contact to ping in case of an emergency with pre-given permission for location sharing and thats built into the pixel safety app

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I used google play movies or whatever a few times and it was fine

I'm sure google presents youtube movies and tv will be mostly fine except when it isn't until google rolls that into another service

lmao

what theyre shutting down is just the preinstalled app on smart tvs. any media purchased through there is now and always has been available in the youtube app which is certainly also installed on those same smart tvs under library

the google tv and movies app on phones went away last year in a rebranding called google tv (so exactly like we were saying about microsoft reusing names for totally different products) and that app afaict is basically an aggregator app for all your streaming services and is the front end for the new chromecast (technically called "chromecast with google tv"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

crepeface posted:

"new purchases made on YouTube don't support family sharing across family-member accounts. The Google Play TV watchlist also won't be making the jump. Additionally, there are several forum complaints already saying that the YouTube app on certain platforms lacks the surround sound audio or HDR support that Play Movies had."

it seems bad

honestly didnt know family sharing worked before

Endless Mike posted:

does chromecast with google tv run stadia yet

not that ive seen but i could be wrong

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

yep thats only if u pay

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

crepeface posted:

I remember when you'd get those texts to remind you of appointments and Google Now would make a calendar event for you.

Google assistant can't even figure out dates (it interprets d/m/y as m/d/y) let alone do it automatically.

Can't wait for Android 12.

actually in the dyp thread they were just complaining about that happening to them so its actually just you it isnt working for

D-Pad posted:

I just received empirical proof that Android is the best OS.

I've got a friend who runs our cities condom program. She messaged me that she was about to drop off condoms at a 40 person orgy that happens once a month. Android immediately popped a notification asking me if I'd like to schedule an event as part of the chat.

only works if you enable assistant in messages

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

be nice, his Samsung is but one of his multiple phones he owns and uses and defends

what is it like four he switches between? and also three or four different types of tablets and a few different laptops iirc oh yeah and like five different watches and four or five different streaming sticks and services

also he replaces them all one by one with new ones as new models come out

then theres always some arcane combination of features that keeps everything from being JUST PERFECT but can u believe this random tablet cant stream dolby atmos and display the native framerate on vimeo?????

i used to find amusing but like all mental illness it ends up just being really sad

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

has he tried getting an iphone

i know he has some ipads for sure but i dont think so

if youre the kind of person who isnt happy with anything whats the point? the point isnt to be satisfied with what he has its to have endless things to talk about. iphones for all their faults and advantages just are what they are

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

after all id say majority of phone users in general and iphone users in particular just want something that they dont have to think about and while there are some androids that are trouble free and just work you still have to concern yourself with the next phone which you cant always say the same about. with an iphone user the answer is always "buy another iphone" which really cuts down on the number of posts per day you can make about it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

you'd be surprised, actually. there was one dude who was insisting for months that his iphone 12 pro was dropping frames and if the *next* update it didn't fix it he was definitely getting a samsung because have you gone to best buy and seen the screen? repeat for every ios 14 point release until 14.5 finally fixed whatever he was seeing.

he also then pointed at his geekbench score being lower

that doesnt surprise me because really we all know those people

like it isnt too unbelievable that some turbo nerd gets burned on android and then goes ios simply to have something to complain about plus dont iphones still have 60hz displays? ngl 60hz is p. lovely for 2021

ofc anyone who knows what their refresh rate on their phone is is prob. android material

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

another one for the graveyard

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

why do you peeps read that thread, doesn't it make you sputter with incredulity. is it some kind of self-flagellation sex thing

i have very little to do at work and its the first result when i press the letter f in the omnibox

in all seriousness it truly offers nothing of value. its just the same ten or so people circlejerking none of whom post anything interesting that i dont see elsewhere first. the only thing its good for is a place where i can get a quick answer if something is universal or unique to me (useful with googles server side switches on things) and maybe occasionally i can help someone with a problem that i know something about. and i guess its useful as a survey of whether a particular model breaks easily but thats less the case as fewer individuals post there

i guess if theres anything i look forward to its stuff like the "hot singles in my area want to sext" linked above and people who dont want google to track them but wont use crapple!!!! products either so they break everything on the phone and ask why it doesnt work

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LastInLine posted:

i guess if theres anything i look forward to its stuff like the "hot singles in my area want to sext"

speaking of

zaepg posted:

Well I've narrowed it down to who it was who attempted to blackmail me and texted my dad pictures of my dong.

It's been three days now, and I've tried to sweep this dumb poo poo aside, but it's not going away easily with time.
He works about three miles from where I live and is a doctor, who likely earns gently caress ton of money.
He is in a position of power.
This guy has a home, a wife, ect.
At this point I don't give a gently caress about a picture of my dick on the internet. I want to confront him personally and make public to his coworkers that he is a doctor who catfishes and blackmails people in his local area at 4am in the morning, and has likely done this on a reoccurring basis for quite sometime.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

very cool! this new samsung watch can do a thing apple watches have done since literally the very original one!

tbf all wear devices could do this bull just didnt know

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

i suppose in his defense, why would he know? it's not like he's ever more than three feet away from one of his dozen phones or tablets

like i understand that consumerism is cultivated for a reason but anyone that into buying garbage just to have it just creeps me out. i honestly cant deal with it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

came in here to laff about google cancelling plans for google bank accounts and disappointed to not find it mentioned

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

qirex posted:

wasn't the rcs story that every carrier and phone manufacturer wanted to do their own version of it?

yes but now they all have it and the same version and it all interoperates but only because google forced them to do it

i have no idea what the state of it is outside of the us

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

Google runs their own RCS instance and that’s what nearly everyone connects to with whatever the Android message app it is this week, as far as I know. few carriers support it natively and the ones that do force you to use their own apps.

i know thats how it started out but i thought it moved on but no youre right only tmo and sprint ever completed the rollout. verizon does what you describe with a proprietary system and app and att has done nothing at all in any capacity

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

googles icons are dreadful

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

the lockscreen clock also looks completely different if you have any notifications. lots of bizarre ui decisions were made in 12. when you overscroll it stretches out the whole screen in a sickening way

ios has had the motion sickness overscroll for a while now

Sereri posted:

Oh it's a lock in the bottom left corner
it gets cut off on my phone and I have been wondering about the hidden lockscreen diglett
:ms:

its not even supposed to be there but i guess that happens if the user hasnt set up smart home or payment poo poo because those go in the left and right bottom corners respectively and the lock button is in the center

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

mine is in the center too, but i wouldn't call it a button, it doesn't do anything. also i don't have anything in the bottom corners even though i have that nerd poo poo set up

pressing it used to force pin entry and disable biometrics but youre right it doesnt do anything now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

actually thats not quite true long pressing it does unlock the device so long as biometrics have authenticated but that would only be on the 4