Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

dhcp is a google play service because it was so broken on android phones for so long that they needed to be able to bug fix it regularly. otherwise android phones would have been banned from every corporate network.

Linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

google is very bad at enterprise anything, so gsuite and gcp are a loving mess.

anyone dumb enough to use any of it deserves what they get

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
goog is disabling it in the chome release so Microsoft could just not do that. even if goog was removing it from chromium, Microsoft could just re-add it in their fork.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

they'll for sure keep the full api. the edge team is likely mostly powered by spite atm, and chredge will be a vehicle for loving with google from the seemingly cooperative position of being on the "same" engine.

it’s really the only hope we have for we browsers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

fully gestural navigation and loving it

not as bad as ios where its "gently caress you, no buttons, figure it out for yourself"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah, weird. why the heck would google want to buy the smart watch company with the largest install base that has a huge amount of consumer data?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

Because they're the new microsoft and they'll just keep launching different watch products in hopes that one can successfully compete with Apple? I guess on paper FitBit looks good because of their market share but IMO they're screwed because the niche they did best (single function fitness tracker watches) is going to die.

There was a brief window of opportunity when existing GPS fitness watches (Garmin) were too expensive and couldn't track steps and smartwatches didn't have GPS/heartrate monitoring but it's over now. That's ignoring the possibility that the whole fad will die out in the first place.

that was sarcasm. they want the user data because google is an advertising company.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when google does something if you want to know why just as yourself "how does this help them sell ads?"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Plank Walker posted:

was going to try and use google glass, the 100s of different chat apps, and nest as counter examples but then i realized, all these vaporware products exist on some meta-level to allow google to portray itself as a tech company and not an ad company, which does in fact help them sell ads

chat content is easily monetizable and nest et. al. is litterrally allowing them to spy on you in your home. goog glass was definitely fluff tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

google glass endgame was constantly beaming ads straight into your eyes as you go about your daily life, while also uploading everything you look at to google’s servers. they killed it because it became clear the world wasn’t ready for this yet.

goog glass could never actually work tho cause it requires too much power. the always on cameras and mics would also be a data slurping dream

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tk posted:

I don’t know why we keep taking these baby steps.

this is unironically better than the android or iphones because its not a loving bump

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

one day someone will include a real synthetic aperture light field camera in a phone. until then bumps are just going to grow

or they could just make the loving phones thicker.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

lol if you think google is going to test their stuff with anything but chrome.

they went out of their way to break the way youtube worked in Edge every time a new Edge came out that fixed the previous problems. its why Microsoft switched to chomium and of course now they need to break that somehow.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

google using microsoft’s own playbook against them will never stop being funny

Microsoft never broke anyones poo poo on purpose like that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

James Baud posted:

Clicked a link to join someone's "Teams" chat for the first time the other day, got told I had to either download a standalone client or use Edge.

Lol, sounds legitimate.

(So I launched Edge then got prompted for credentials and had no idea if I could use a private account or needed one in their corporate structure and gave up, continuing to use email. We'll call that a success!)

you can invite external guests to 365 groups, including Teams. if they sent it to ur email you can just sign in with ur 365 account and you'll be a guest in their 365 tenant.

The Management posted:

this is the kind of comedy I come to this forum for

they never broke anything on purpose. they got dinged for including basic functionality in windows by default.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

idk where the google thread is

this seems like a bad idea:

Report: Google wants to bring the Steam game store to… Chrome OS?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/01/report-google-wants-to-bring-the-steam-game-store-to-chrome-os/

they're adding the mobile steam app, not games.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

I'm shocked stadia hasn't been canceled yet, by any measure it's a huge flop

has it been released yet or is still in beta?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
game streaming needs to become non-lovely first

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
android on 2 screens is still android

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i thought they cancelled stadia

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it would be good if it means winphone could come back

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there isnt any actual demand for iot stuff. its all dads buying poo poo they see on the news and then getting bored with it a few days after it arrives. its great for a bunch of initial purchases, but terrible for customer retention.

there are only a handful of dedicated nerds who want to try to make it work and they're not enough to sustain a business

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah but they've been doing that since before the internet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i cant imagine looking at the landscape of game streaming and thinking, "Oh i'll have the one made by the company that shows me ads on the internet"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

the ms teams app on android has the worst notification handling i've ever seen. you can have the app open to a specific conversation and you'll STILL get a notification every single time someone messages in chat it's obscene. like surely they'd go "ok the dude already has the app open so they're seeing the messages so we should suppress notifications" but apparently that's too hard/they're too dumb/anroid

teams notifications are terrible across the board. on windows you can either have it harrass you with banners or not get any notification at all

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they use the same custom notification banners on both oses so it can be bad on both.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yeah but apple keeps window focus stealing bullshit in check while it remains the wild west over on the windows side of the house

they dont steal focus in windows, but they do cover poo poo up constantly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I wish that was true but I don't want to think about the number of times where someone messages me in teams and it steals cursor focus and I start typing in a completely different application. even more annoying if someone posts something off-hours or on the weekend and I forget to quit teams, minimizes out of any fullscreen app on every.single.notification

i havent had that happen

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no it just litterrally doesnt do that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
rip to yet another goog service i had never heard of before

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gmail and search are the only goog services i use

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that dude owned ur company so fuckin hard

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

crepeface posted:

it interprets d/m/y as m/d/y

this is correct

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

sb hermit posted:

mm/dd/yyyy

yes correct.

jesus WEP posted:

americans telling time like “he ran that marathon in 45 minutes, and 3 hours, and 32 seconds”

euro calendars are 31 pages where each page has up to 12 month slots.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

calendars are inherently big endian. book is the year, page is the month, square is the date. you imbecile.

right. month first then day. as in mm-dd. not dd-mm which is the hosed up poo poo euros do

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i'm ALL IN for the return of winphone though

i would buy a duo if it was winphone

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk who that is or what that means

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

does google even know that their public image is of a bunch of flaky, easily distracted children? that the idea of google "support," in any sense of the word, is a running joke?

if you brought it up to a google employee -- i am pretty sure we have a couple in here -- will they sigh knowingly, or get haughty and pissy?

i dont think ive ever met anyone who works for goog even on these forums. i think it probably breaks down to experts who work on their advertising platform and dont really care about anything else cause they know ads are the money maker and then dumb fucker web "developers" who got hired out of college and dont know any better cause they're children.

the former is embarrassed to admit what they do for a living and the later dont post here.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

there are businesses that use GCP and google apps, they're just also worthless startups that will probably go under before their infrastructure gets rug pulled

the kind of person who chooses gcp and/or goog apps is the dumbest on earth and its probably the biggest red flag (outside of maybe ruby) when interviewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
someone was smart enough to pick .net from the start. what happened?