Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
How will the poor bankers pay to heat their pools or fly to aspen for the ski season if they don't earn more in bonuses than the entire minimum wage class in total earnings? Think of how bereft of worth a life without d'agustation plates is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

as an enemy of the cause, with an 18th century sword under my canopy bed, what should I expect when the end comes?

our armies can stomp the common people into the ground at a moment's notice, what will be your tools of combat? terrorism? we may turn to bombing this country like its Syria. what are the tools the people have for ending the corruption and greed that have been chomping on the republic consistently since 1964?

The problem with relying on the army to preserve your power is when you send them to put down the uprising and they realise 'hey that's my cousin in the crowd, why should I shoot him?' Propping up the military as the social welfare state is going to have some unforseen consequences should the poor rise up.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Welcoming TERFs or pro-sharia people into the fold is a unquestionably bad thing though

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dubb's head moves like a pidgeon

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lowtax posted:

Is there a single war on [anything] that the government has actually won?!?

The war on christmas

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

The Vault 7 dump is going to be :toot: as hell going forwards. Confirmation of the government paying to keep security holes open is a barrel of laughs.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

this would be a way more effective burn on :argh: ESTABLISHMENT LIBERALS :argh: if, y'know, Wikileaks wasn't blatantly a Russian asset

Getting mad bout wikileaks on the day vault 7 is unlocked is kinda funny. The only way russia is spying on me watching anime through my webcam is if they managed to convince one of the Ex contractors who walked with the entire CIA malware suite to sell them a copy. Also lol Obama lied about disclosing 0days going forward after the NSA leaks.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah pretty much, its just cowardly libs looking for easy fights, and this poo poo is easy fights.

people give ubisoft poo poo on a decent amount of stuff, but they are one of the few companies/publishers that actually does diversity right.

I would argue the reason Ubisoft does diversity right is inextricably linked to why their games never work at launch.they have countless studios all over the worldand they end up with the most diverse creative teams almost by accident as a result. The downside of this obviously being that there is real communication issues leading to buggy messes.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I would think that the Pewdiepie thing, which has more than a sniff of friendly journalists doing hitpieces to help trigger a contract cancellation without reimbursement for a company on shaky financial footing, would be a reasonable cause of concern for a lot of people who derive their income from youtube.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I do like that if its a strong male lead its toxic masculinity and if its a strong female lead its male gaze wish fulfillment

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MaxxBot posted:

Oh man how did I miss this one, your establishment Dem hero folks.

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/844736367930204160

I still don't understand how Mensch somehow became a democrat neoliberal after her crowning glory was selling out the neoliberals in favour of the conservatives in England.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MaxxBot posted:

Pence: *Hires Michelle Bachmann*

I would have though Ann Coulter was more his brand of crazy?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So wait, if the main concern in character design is to ensure queer characters aren't pleasing to the 'male gaze', does that mean that queer videogame players don't get to have eye candy?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Only if you have "correct" opinions.

This guy is a notorious wrong thinker but he still has his checkmark. Its more about how you present the wrong think and how large your reach is.

https://twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/849226991110938625

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So they overbook a flight, smash a guys face into a metal armrest and drag him off, purely because they wanted to put their staff onboard instead, and its his fault?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DoctorGonzo posted:

When you smugly post on Twitter that you are in favor of political violence to silence someone you will get your rear end kicked by people who actually think this.

This, much like Clinton losing, was totally unforeseeable and anyone commenting on it now is a russian plant

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
SJWs are hiding something by an large

quote:

People who show anger over moral issues not directly affecting them may actually be emoting in an effort to quell their own guilt, be it consciously or unconsciously, according to a new study.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Study-Expressing-moral-outrage-is-largely-just-10969478.php

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/problematic/status/854423259504287744

So this is certainly a thing now.

But really guys. I don't understand how Trump won. It's a mystery.

Without any further context I am going to guess that the guy needing to cut his dreads was not a fashion model but somebody in the food service industry, therefore needing to cut them for reasons other than he is black, namely hygine?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Is this the place to tell jokes about how the Mayor of Berkley is a member of antifa group BAMN and as such sheds a very scary light on why the police have been so inneffective in Berkley.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Not a Step posted:

GMOs are, in fact, very good and help make agriculture possible on the scales needed to feed the global population. The points of contention are mainly around the secretive nature of the research being done on GMOs. Its a shady and cutthroat world that intentionally hamstrings public research and oversight.

Half the stories you've heard about GMO companies suing poor farmers or making people commit suicide are urban legends made up because its fun to hate mega-corps. By all means there are many, many, many, many reasons to hate mega-corps, just not the ones people usually come up with.

The problem with GMOs and the legitimate argument for them being a path for imperialism is purely around patenting of genetic material. GMOs are the path forward unless these loonies want to go full Prince Charles and advocate for killing off 2/3 of the world's population.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MaxxBot posted:

It kind of is brave to face off against /pol/ because there's like a 90% chance you'll go to work on monday with your boss' inbox filled with emails calling you a child rapist or something. It is however totally pointless.

The thing is if you face down too woke twitter you will get the same treatment except you will also be fired.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Moviebob, also a proud proponent of listen and believe, was told about a colleague sexually assaulting someone and then decided to ignore it. Hes a real beaut

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

havent heard that one. also i am mixed with the "listen and believe" stuff. on the surface its not bad(sexual assults/rapes being ignored etc) but its just being used as shield by wannabe didactic "critics".

Him on his own site trying to walk back a statement he made saying he knew about what Devin Faraci had done but didn't report it.

http://moviebob.blogspot.com.au/2016/10/statement.html

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i watched those videos and then immediately, violently mutated into mel gibson

I used to be a male feminist but then I saw that video and now I have incarnated as the anthropomorphic personification of the MRA movement.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Office Surprise Store posted:

https://medium.com/@sashastone/tough-luck-destroyers-of-hillary-clinton-you-won-the-battle-you-wont-win-the-war-e4318c76f960

Tough Luck Destroyers of Hillary Clinton: You Won the Battle, You Won’t Win the War

Enough. I’ve had enough. Enough of your whiny laments about Hillary Clinton. You thought you knew Hillary when the primary campaign began. You knew the sound of her voice and her laughter and you made up your mind that those things bothered you. You thought the way she smiled — or when she chose not to — told you a lot about her, but your sneers told us more about you. You decided that a lifetime devoted to politics had ruined Hillary, even when the only alternatives on the ballot were a man mired in politics for 30 years who never got anything done and a man who knew nothing about anything who spent a lifetime devoted to fraud.

But enough is enough. We’re sick of seeing men shrug off the part they payed in this debacle and try to lay the blame on the woman they savaged. The more asinine people like Bill Maher criticize Hillary Clinton the more of us will rise up to defend her. You see how that works? Yeah, and Chelsea too. Totally Chelsea. We’re going to be all over Chelsea hashtags on Twitter, posting positive stories about her, hoping she runs for office just to watch the caterwauling white dudebros lose their poo poo.

That author knows the truth but is desperately trying to hide it

quote:

make them believe in something and you’ll win

quote:

Now we know for sure it has nothing to do with experience or knowledge or how well you can actually govern. It only has to make voters FEEL something right here, right now.

Turns out to get people to vote for you, you need to make them want to vote for you. WHO KNEW?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm pretty sure the overwhelming reaction of japanese people towards perceived cultural appropriation is "i don't give a poo poo"

Japan is such an insular society the majority of the population probably don't even know it exists let alone that its 'problematic'.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

brianna wu's twitter feed is filled with ridiculously stupid things and you picked the one time she actually had a point. grats my man.

The problem is the demo breakdowns don't back up the assertion

http://quanticfoundry.com/2017/01/19/female-gamers-by-genre/

Overwhelmingly the game styles most played by women are pure mechanical games in puzzle quest style match games or time management sims.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
^^^^ Hell, I'd vote for you on that platform

Endorph posted:

Yeah but those seem include people who don't own any dedicated game consoles but play games on their phones or on facebook, where simple mechanical-focused games are the only ones that exist, and you're only playing for five or ten minutes at a time so a narrative-heavy game isn't plausible. You can see evidence that women who spend more dedicated time playing games enjoy more narrative experiences more, like how Star Wars The Old Republic has more female players than an average MMO, and it's also an MMO with dialogue options and a dedicated cutscene mode, by a company with a reputation for involved narratives.

If you remove mobile and facebook games from the population then you remove the majority of people who play games.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

GoutPatrol posted:

nah 6 is the best, probably trigger after that

Persona 5 came along and ruined the genre for everyone else.

Topical it can be babbie's first anti-neoliberal radicalisation path.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

get that OUT of my face posted:

the "don't cross the cultures ever" kind of woke leftists are far less commonplace than the ones who don't know what the hell they're doing, but it still frightens me seeing them spew their nonsense

The scary part is that its common enough that there is a subforum of segregationists on this board.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Andrei Dorkovsky posted:

im sure Oliver is your typical tv neolib but his show does avoid any dem cheerleading, bee is basically peter daou given a comedy show

I kinda wonder if the Australian Gun Laws piece on the daily show would still be made now because it criticised politicians for not acting in their voter's interests before their ability to get elected.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Bernie's weakest demo now is white people, but bernie is racist and sexist guys

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

So is the reaction against "identity politics" here more an attempt to wrest it away from corporatism or what? Like how people now think shopping at Target is woke because morons are boycotting them and poo poo like that?

The idpol warriors tend to be just as exclusionary and hateful/spiteful as /pol/ers. They just target their hate and exclusion at different parts of society. If your goal is inclusion and equality then the sort of rhetoric espoused by the loudest idpollers is damaging to the cause.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

Can you break this down further for me? I think I know what you're saying but I just want to make sure this isn't "BLM is a hategroup" type garbage

People who think that speech should be shut down with violence, or that certain groups in the population should be denied the franchise. Because the people losing the franchise in the specific case is cis white males or the people losing their first amendment rights are maga hat wearing yahoos a lot of people are happy to jump on the bandwagon and cheer for it. Before you decide you are going to strip a class of people a fundamental human right you should think long and hard about what you are planning to do and who else has done the same act but to a different class of people.

BLM from everything I have seen is trying to restore fundamental rights to people who currently lack them so they really aren't anything to do with the sort of people I am talking about.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah this is true I mean actual white supremacists are marching around going "Russia is our friend"

I just don't want to see them get away with this poo poo you know?

What poo poo. The russia stuff is hysteria

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Office Surprise Store posted:

i have a hard time wrapping my head around the mental process that's making establishment dems think a loving red scare is their ticket to success

When the DNC got a tame security company to audit their servers instead of the FBI to 'prove' it was deffo russian state actors I knew something was up. Its only got more outlandish since then.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Reminder one of the heads of that security firm, Crowdstrike, is also a senior fellow of a think tank heavily involved in America's response to populism in Europe. Here is a valuable paper they published in mid 2016

The Atlantic Council posted:

A wave of far-right populism is sweeping across Europe. Once on the fringes of politics, extremist parties are capitalizing on the refugee crisis and the financial meltdown of 2008 to gain at the polls. The re-emergence of anti-immigrant and isolationist groups and parties in Europe erodes the European Union’s ability to coordinate policies for solving Europe’s crises. Indeed, their growing popularity undermines the basic tenets of the European project. Taking advantage of Europe’s far-right turn, Russia has been aiding its far-right allies, which in turn publicly support Putin’s geopolitical interests and foreign policy agenda. Western policymakers have been slow to recognize the problem and to effectively respond. At a time when Europe faces some of its greatest challenges, we urgently need strategy-driven policies to strengthen the transatlantic relationship.

I do wonder how that security firm came up with the answer that Putin was helping a right wing populist win an election over a globalist.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

Can you give me some examples of individuals or groups that advocate for this and aren't having their message disingenuously twisted by fascist idiots?

Like off the top of my head I can think of like, Hoteps. Or TERFs and SWERFs. But none of them are even remotely mainstream.

The sex negative feminism being pushed by the kids of evangelicals would be a good option. Telling adults they aren't allowed to consent to something they and their partner find enjoyable is straight out of Puritanism.

Also the people on journolist who were running organised campaigns to mob justice wrong think and silence what in their views were bad opinions. The absolute dearth of actual journalism nowis a direct result of these people pushing an activism before accuracy policy at a lot of the left publications. As a result we get places like the guardian and huffpo publishing pieces that the barest amount of fact checking would red flag.

Howard Dean claiming hate speech isn't covered under the first amendment.

People pulling their donations from the ACLU for supporting right wingers right to speech.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

HIJK posted:

Considering how radical US politics are becoming this is what I'm afraid of tbh. I don't want to see what comes after the twitter #woke are kicked off the stage. Sanity doesn't magically reassert itself, it has to be created and enforced by the group at large.

I'm worried enough people don't want that.

As dumb as it is i am fascinated to see where laci green ends up as she really is a canary in the coal mine for #wokes seeing wokery for what it really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

FuzzySkinner posted:

That was a bit of s surreal thing to see her do. Good for her though. I still think Kyle Kulknski's theory about "libertarian leftism v. authoritarian leftism" is a very accurate portrayal of the two sides in a lot of ways. I think Laci could actually make feminism more powerful of an idea if she does grow for what it's worth.

I put in a suggestion for her to talk/debate Liana kerzman.

The most poisonous concept i have ever come across is wokes telling other women they have internalized misogyny for disagreeing with the woke hive mind.

Byolante has issued a correction as of 05:00 on May 18, 2017

• Locked thread