Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

spit on my clit posted:

EVERYTHING IS HORRIBLE BECAUSE ITS NOT WORKING THE WAY IT SHOULD WORK :qq:

accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

get that OUT of my face posted:

hillary wouldn't have bothered saber rattling with north korea

She'd be too busy doing a war in Syria.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

exactly, so why did these idiots do that?

No bad tactics, only bad targets

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/ComedyCentral/status/854801786292621314

I'm just...how is this comedy?

I'm kinda baffled at the logic here. So...it was bad that Mick Jagger, John Lennon, and Paul McCartney were listening to the music of african american artists via Alan Freed's show being broadcasted over in europe? Like...those three men always paid tribute and appreciation to the musicians that came before them. Hell, Jagger even got "Living Colour" signed to a major deal for example.

Is is...wrong that white people grew to like musical contributions made by African Americans? Like..we should have acted like those old southern KKK members who were demanding us to not listen to that "N*****r Music"?

Like...music that ended up carrying messages that probably indirectly led to issues like desegregation and such?

e: (And as INSANE as that last line sound? Jesse Owens', Jackie Robinson's, and Marion Motley's contributions to changing how people thought of as African Americans in sport was insanely huge. Even dismissing a lot of the lovely racist "science" that was going on at the time back here in the states. People really underestimate how huge entertainment is in regards to changing people's perceptions on things).

You gotta admit that it's kinda hosed that it's literally impossible to find a copy of the Mama Thornton version of You Can't Always Get What You Want anywhere on the internet

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FuzzySkinner posted:

yeah that and led zeppelin stealing a lot of poo poo.

thankfully..I think it's safe to say that samping in classic hip hop kinda was some incredible (indirect) revenge. :).

There is no Mama Thornton version of You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there gonna be a woke Charles Manson?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

wizard on a water slide posted:

I think it's brave to face the furious sadbrains who will hurl invective at you and try to ruin your life if you're a public person on the internet and say something like "I'm polyamorous", or for that matter, "I'm monogamous" from the other direction; in the current social media climate it takes a kind of courage to be publicly famous at all

courage isn't a moral virtue, and you don't have to be a good person to be brave

There's nothing braver than getting called a moron on twitter.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That dude should be called movieblob

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

wizard on a water slide posted:

clearly "sam kruyer" knows more about japan and the historical samurai than any old wikipedia article, enough that he's qualified to declare on behalf of the japanese that a show is using their cultural heritage disrespectfully or inappropriately

Do you have any idea how pissed the Japanese people would be if they found out that there was a children's show inaccurately presenting samurai?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Byolante posted:

Japan is such an insular society the majority of the population probably don't even know it exists let alone that its 'problematic'.

There is not a single country in the world where the majority of the population are aware of the concept of "cultural appropriation"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Skyrim is kinda bad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

rudatron posted:

So are movies, books, basically all art

But maybe they were better once?

No, they were not, they were always bad

What about Hitagi End?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

Who is this movie bob and why do people including the god drat aclu care about somebody called the movie bob

A better name for him would be movie blob

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Snowpiercer and Train to Busan are my favorite movies about people fighting their way from the back of a train to the front of a train.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am on the side of the witches.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

people made fun of hillary clinton for hiding in the woods after the election when:

1. that's honestly kinda badass
2. it was infinitely preferable to her being loving everywhere, showing off the sourest of grapes and making it obvious that she's learned not a goddamn thing

Those people wouldn't have been happy with anything less than Clinton performing seppuku.

Just to be clear, I am one of those people.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FuzzySkinner posted:

I can see what they're trying to do. They're trying to create a benghazi-like environment around Trump so that we routinely have to hear how he's corrupt and bad.

Maybe it'll work, but it's personally driving me insane. Not to mention there's a million other things they could drop kick his rear end over and this is perhaps the weakest one. My assumption is that their thought process is this:

"Huh. We got our asses kicked and humilated by an absolute clown. What could let us get away with not being able to change a single thing, while a the same time playing well to the xenophobic rubes in his base?"

"Well why did they vote for Reagan?"

"Well he beat the communists in Russia. They hated commies. Hey you know..PUTIN is a bad guy always invading countries and poo poo. Eliminating gay rights. Propping up dictators. He's still bad. HEY. I got it! We'll blame it on the Russians! The idiots in this country will eat this up! Let's feed this poo poo to the media. If they can sell the country on a bullshit war in Iraq? We can sell them on Russia. Not like the country has an absolute distrust and disgust in the media right now either!"

It just feels bizarrely insulting to my intelligence. I mean according to "Shattered" wasn't this exactly the talking point Robby Mook and others cooked up to deflect blame, parachut eout?

Blaming Russia for Clinton losing is stupid and wrong, but I don't think you can honestly say that there's nothing to the Russia connection after today. Clearly there's something to the Russia connection, and it's gotta be pretty loving damaging for Trump to just fire Comey like that.

It's the piss tape.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

I dunno why the founders and later luminaries like DeRay Mckesson or Shaun King didn't try to take greater control of the narrative there

DeRay is busy raising awareness of the really fantastic deals at Subway

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was pretty big on the Russia stuff being just a distraction and an excuse for Democrats. But now that Trump literally did a Watergate about it, I think it's safe to say that yeah, the Russia stuff is actually a big deal.

Would I prefer it if Trump was being rejected in favor of a Democratic platform of universal healthcare and debt forgiveness and higher minimum wage? Yeah, absolutely. But that doesn't mean the Russia stuff isn't bad, or that Trump doesn't deserve to get impeached over it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
OK, but Hillary Clinton isn't president, we dodged that timeline, so talking about is pointless. Interfering with an FBI investigation into misconduct done by his campaign is doing a Watergate, because that's what got Nixon impeached. And yeah, Watergate 2 is different than Watergate because the sequel always has to be bigger and dumber. Watergate didn't involve links to a foreign government or all the congressional Republicans knowing about it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

comedyblissoption posted:

just a reminder that so far there is literally zero evidence of collusion by trump with the russian government, people in the security community have come outright on media and said there is currently zero evidence, and there aren't even allegations on what concrete actions and wrongdoing trump did

this does not preclude there being wrongdoing, but so far there is no evidence to justify the russian hysteria overtaking the democratic party

Well, Flynn just said that he won't honor Congress' subpoena for documents relating to the investigation. That seems pretty loving damning

There's something there, and the Trump Administration's actions to try to cover it up should be proof enough for anybody with a functioning brainstem to see it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

an actual dog posted:

I'm gonna be that person and say it's more dangerous for a woman to speak up than those dudes

O'Reilly was fired, Hannity is losing sponsors every day, and you think it's dangerous for women to speak truth to power?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HIJK posted:

wait who is this Kurt guy?

he was once almost killed by a tweet

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I guess the 4chan nazi who almost murdered Kurt with a gif is the hero of the story

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can we rename every thread to "Mr. Eichenwald visited hentairules.com, not this site."?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uncle Wemus posted:

Was colbert serious or was he making fun of beck

Are you asking if Stephen Colbert was serious when he drew a penis labeled Putin pissing on Trump?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's the only person on network TV talking about the pee tape

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The tape is is in the hands of the Russian government, Anybody who leaks it knows they'll die

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

didn't he quit for a while because woke twitter people were on his rear end about something they interpreted as problematic in avengers 2? i don't remember exactly what it was, but i took his side because the other one was so dumb. regardless, he should have stayed off

another high-profile person who shouldn't tweet anymore is patton oswalt, who made stupid tweet threads before that became the hot way to communicate on there

There's a scene where Black Widow bonds with the Hulk, saying that she can't have kids and is also a monster

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

bob is dumb authoritarian technocratic liberal. he legit believes himself to be one of the elite and a intellectual. and he thinks FPS have created the alt right. I am perplexed by Bob's love of Atlas Shrugged where he believes that exceptional individuals (aka Coastal Elites) are being held back by others ( Conservatives and Middle America) and thinks they should take the reigns of power and seems to really love Objectivism, yet he hates the freedom and government distrust ideals of libertarians. He also seems to wholehearted believe in Moral Relativism (that there is no objective right or wrong in society, except against Conservatives) which nakedly shows with his now infamous, "No Bad Tactics, Only bad targets" quote. Bob's viewpoints of the world should contradict themselves except he seems to use moral concepts of Post-Modernism to quilt together a worldview that gives him any outlet to believe he and certain others are supreme while a large majority/minority is holding their perfect world back and something drastic must be done. Honestly, if Bob wasn't a sad, fatass, mediocre internet critic I would be genuinely afraid of him given even the slightest amount of power

Bob Chipman calls himself Moviebob, but he really should call himself Movieblob

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He has type 2 diabetes apparently.

no poo poo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to see a sci-fi dystopia where there's over population, so the government is trying to overturn roe v wade so they can force women to have abortions

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Nah they would just start another bogus war

I just want people to understand that the flipside of having reproductive freedom is that women can choose to become pregnant. I don't think people realize that Roe v Wade also protects women who want to carry a fetus to term, not just women who want abortions

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't mail waste products, that's gross and terrible for the post office employees.

Now, if they were flinging blood and poo poo at the White house, that I'd be in favor of

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

lol if u r old enough to read and still buy picture books

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

anyway, its because they know they can make money off of it. i mean i think video games do a sorta better job with genuine diversity then movies and comics.

Video Games are allowed to have Asian main characters who don't do Kung Fu

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

an actual dog posted:

lol how is this any different from other corny garbage marvel has ever made

They've replaced almost all of their big name characters, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Wolverine, Hawkeye, with woman or minority characters. Apparently it's having a pretty big negative impact on their sales, people who liked Iron Man when it was Tony Stark don't like Iron Man when it's Riri Williams

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crane Fist posted:

I can't figure out who the joke is on here

Apart from me for thinking about this

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm autistic, and no they don't.

Maybe he's better at autism than you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When people* say the collapse of the Soviet Union was bad for Russian people, they don't mean the Soviet Union was good. They mean the wholesale dismantling of the country by gangsters and capitalists and con-men was bad. The collapse of the Soviet Union turned Russia into a hosed up oligarchy with one of the highest rates of inequality in the world.

It's like, the Iraq War was bad for the Iraqi people. That doesn't mean that Saddam was good.

*not counting tankies

• Locked thread