Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

mearn posted:

I hope we're all ready to hear DW try to explain the new format changes multiple times during every single race.

If we have to hear "Boogity Boogity Boogity!" three times a race I'm going to break my TV before the 500 is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Last year's Dover spring race was incredible because it had actually good hard racing for the lead through the entire back half of the race. It's a shame that's such an outlier.

That was legitimately one of the best races of the last 10 years

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

There's been a mighty big hole to fill,
since Dale's final "hook and go up the hill"

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

Ummm go to Jayski. They ruined it.

This is worse than any rule changes NASCAR could make

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

Those onboard shots were crazy

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

financially racist posted:

i mean just within an hour of where i used to live, we had albany-saratoga (a 5 minute drive from my house), lebanon valley (went here a whole lot) and fonda (never went because everyone said it sucks)

northeast is just absolutely littered with short tracks

MA used to be full of them too. Lakeville Speedway, Westboro Speedway, and Norwood Arena were all within an hour of me, Norwood even had Grand National in the 60's. I was born about 10 years too late for them, but Seekonk is still going pretty strong. There's a really cool little racing museum in Pawtucket, RI that has a few old cars and a ton of stuff from the old tracks.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

Alain Post posted:

bring back the wicker bill

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

iospace posted:

:wtc:

That is seriously, seriously hosed up.

More info on just how hosed up it is:
http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/20170330/police-speedbowl-owner-said-he-paid-boys-for-sex-for-nearly-25-years

Norwich Bulletin posted:

“Bemer stated that he believes that over the 20-25-year period King has brought him 8-10 different boys for sex, most on multiple occasions. Bemer stated that he pays approximately $200-250 per occasion,” it said.

Although he often referred to them as “boys” or “kids,” Bemer said they were adults when he had sex with them. He did acknowledge he stopped having sex with some of them because they got too old, however, according to the warrant.

He acknowledged one of the young men was “really off,” it said. He also said the most recent time he had sex with a young man brought by King was about four months earlier.

Investigators learned one of the victims met King when the young man was searching Dumpsters for bottles. The man, as well as a second victim, was being cared for by the state Department of Developmental Services and lived at a facility called Abilities Beyond on Cleveland Street in Danbury.

Lock up everybody involved and throw away the key. That's some despicable poo poo.

Now, putting aside how terrible of a person he is and speaking strictly as a New England race fan, it's a shame. Waterford most likely would have been shuttered without him buying it and putting in the upgrades that he did. With him being arrested, NASCAR pulling any association with the track, and a number of officials walking way, I'll be surprised if the Speedbowl recovers.

edit: apparently INEX/US Legends Cars have followed suit:
https://twitter.com/USLegendCars/status/850017561781600257

SwampYankee fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 6, 2017

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

I missed the race because I was at Thompson for the Icebreaker. Rowan Pennink put the famous Boehler racing "Ole Blue" #3 Modified back in victory lane for the first time in almost 5 years, 8 years for a points paying event.

I also got this video from the late model feature:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u12JLdIXnf0

Never leave a race until it's over.

Bonus Modified pictures:

All that chrome... :fap:

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Is that a Troyer?

Yeah, Ryan Preece was driving it for TS Motorsports. Best looking car there, in my opinion.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

bigbillystyle posted:

Aw cool man. Good for the 3. Surprised Teddy Christopher wasn't running it. I think he's been running that car for the most part of the last few years hasn't he? You can thank me for not going for the good weather by the way. Every time I go to the Ice Breaker or the World Series its like -10 degrees and/or raining and when I don't go its 60 and nice.

I can't find a list of who's driven it but a quick search says he hasn't been in it since at least 2014. I've had good luck with the Icebreaker, but Saturday nights at the world Series are usually brutal.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

Junior continues to be awesome:

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/879390156058492929

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoeyGaseRacing/status/880049390139965440

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

Ryan Preece is running a couple Xfinity races for Gibbs:

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-xs/news/ryan-preece-gets-two-nascar-xfinity-races-with-joe-gibbs-racing-926852/

I'm interested to see how he does. He can wheel the hell out of a modified, and he had some decent runs with JD Motorsports considering the equipment.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/886966728424652800

I can't wait to hear what post-retirement Jr thinks about the state of the sport.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

The whole "people should/do only root for the most talented athletes/teams" sentiment that Harvick is using is kinda wrong and dumb anyway. Most sports fans I know root for their home team regardless of whether or not they're winning games and championships, and aren't gonna switch to another team when theirs starts losing.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

As a New England native, I can very safely say that "fans" that migrate from hot team to hot team are not the kind of people you really want following anything, and unless someone/team is completely dominating, they are the ones to lose interest the fastest anyway.

I'm in Southeast MA, and I can't picture any of the Patriots or Red Sox fans I know cheering for anyone else or not watching games because they weren't playing well, but they definitely aren't the casual fans you're talking about.

The big problem isn't casual fans leaving because of Jr not running well, it's that NASCAR spent too much time changing the sport trying to keep those casual fans around while their original fanbase started walking away because of all the changes.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

Cygni posted:

god loving boston sportsfans should be fed to sharks. WE AINT NO CASUAL FANS HOW DAHR YOU

I don't disagree with that. I've always been a race fan, never got into stick and ball sports. Most people around here look at me like I've got two heads when I tell them I don't care much about the Red Sox or the Pats.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I just read about that a lil while ago

lol that he was mad at a bump and run, that musta looked like earnhardt at pocono levels of pout

Also it was a payback shot for TC's bump and run on him the lap before. He's turning into a grumpy old man, he went off about Preece probably bringing out the caution intentionally at Thompson too. I mean, yeah, it's shady, but there's no way a guy who's been racing as long as him hasn't done it himself.

Whelen Mod championship battle is pretty heated right now. 7 points between Doug Coby and Rowan Pennink with 4 races left (Preece is leading but that's probably irrelevant at this point since he's skipping Loudon).

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

Harveygod posted:

Same, but Thompson, CT.

Move Talladega's race to the season finale, add Cup to The World Series (Mods still get top billing though).

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

RIP T.C.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

http://speed51.com/nhms-announces-nascar-short-track-triple-header-for-2018/

The fall cup weekend at Loudon next year will be replaced with K&N pro series, Pintys/Canadian series first race in the U.S., and a 250 lap Modified race. I don't watch K&N or the Canadian series, but I'm 100% on board with a long mod race.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

More short tracks, please

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

In actual racing news, Gibbs signed Ryan Preece on for 10 Xfinity races next season, sharing the 18 with the JGR cup drivers. As a big modified fan, I'm pumped to see him get more races in a good car, but I don't know how I feel about having to root for the 18.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

It wasn't even like Preece blocked him. He just kept running the line he was running and wouldn't lay down and let Sadler by.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

Good race, good finish, awesome champion.
I've been pulling for Truex since he was the newbie at DEI, feels good to see him get a cup.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

Vando posted:

Is now a good time to mention I'm considering running an iRacing truck (the free one) series for goons if any of you are insufferable nerds/remember the chaos when we ran Legends back in the day and want more of that poo poo?

e: also the main sub is on sale or something for Black Friday and into December

I might get in on that depending on what nights we race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

Vando posted:

I'd be doing early evening Friday or mid-afternoon Sunday, most likely. Sensible hours midweek are out because I'm in the UK.

Sunday afternoons are usually pretty good for me

• Locked thread