Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Would Kasey Kahne be the most underwhelming Daytona 500 winner ever?

No, because Ryan Newman exists, but he'd be close!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

YOU

DONT

KNOW

AARP

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

And now - more commercials!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

That owned.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I didn't enjoy that.

It had its moments but there's just way, way too many stoppages.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The end of each stage does not require a caution, and if it does, it sure as poo poo doesn't need to be eight loving laps.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Well you need the first lap to slow the cars down, second to gather them up, third for formation, fourth opens pit road, fifth is for the lap down cars and usually like two more pace laps so I mean having eight isn't some huge deal IMO

Is this a joke? The cars are still in the tri-oval when the caution comes out and they need four more laps to get to pit road? Just pit at the end of the that lap, ffs.

So many of you are quick to criticize NASCAR but then still parrot their idiotic reasoning for their bad rules.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm not complaining about plate racing or the new format. NASCAR has long had a problem with the frequency and duration of cautions.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ideally they would have stages that didn't end in mandated cautions, but since I'm sure they won't do that, at the very least they could not end each segment with 20 minutes of no racing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

How about this, since you folks seem inclined to misunderstand every single accurate criticism that's being leveled at NASCAR here: show me more racing and less not racing, please.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

How often do you guys worry that Trevor Bayne is just the new Derrike Cope?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

I also made this

2017 world post of the year

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Another quality post from the professor.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I dunno if it's the era I grew up in or the geographical area but punching some dude you're mad at is acting like an adult to me. Going over to him and whining that you're mad at him would be considered being a baby.

This explains literally everything.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Are you being serious? On what planet is even actually cold cocking a dude even remotely the same as this? :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDZ_xwJR6b4

I sincerely think this kind of poo poo should get you banned from all competition for an entire season. Just petty and stupid and dangerous.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Christ, the IMS road course is so bad for anything on four wheels.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

This deserves its own post.

Congrats, Our Man Spence. Smoke may have sided with JWT after Gateway, but:

...Dale Junyer thinks you're cool. :perfect:

http://jeffgluck.com/dale-earnhardt-jr-12-questions-interview-2017/

Related, don't breathe over Junyer if he's eating. He hates that.

quote:

1. How much of your success is based on natural ability and how much has come from working at it?

For a long time, it was all ability, low effort. Now I think it’s 50-50.

God, he's the best.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

tbh there's as much evidence that Newman won as there is that man landed on the moon so I can see why people might be upset

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Merge all the threads into one please

"And that's how SA finally died."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

there are rumblings of Kenseth retiring

Don't you dare tease me.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fully on board the Ryan Blaney hype train.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hard to be sad about Junior leaving when it's obviously the right and correct decision and we'll hopefully get to avoid seeing him slowly go insane.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

von Manstein posted:

I bet Jr. sucks at Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge

I bet he's terrible but still has loads of fun and always makes sure to share the controller.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

I read this in Jr's voice and it's great.

I read all of my own posts in Jr's voice, maybe that's why I don't hate them as much as you folks.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The chance of Jr winning in Homestead is not much less than 100%.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I don't think the Chase in and of itself would've caused any decline, because as much as we complain about it, it is effective in consistently contriving a dramatic finale. I also don't think there's a single specific thing you can point at and say "this is what they did wrong," beyond the enormity of their success in the 90s and 00s setting a bar that's impossible to reach.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mactheknife posted:

Yeah, I'd keep the plate tracks and I guess the Coke 600 long - maybe Bristol too?

I just can't justify spending an entire Sunday afternoon watching this poo poo anymore. Feel the same way about the NFL.

The only reason I still watch the NFL is Red Zone. Without that the games are unbearable. Too many stoppages, too many ads. NASCAR has the same problem.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

The problem with ads is it's a universal plague here in the US. TV shows have gotten shorter and shorter as networks sell more ad space.

The problem with racing is they don't have logical breaks in the action for ads like other sports (except association football), except drag racing, but that's a very hard type to broadcast live anyway. I mean yeah, cautions/FCY/SC is probably the best time to do it, but if you don't show ads, the sponsors get bitchy.

And if the sponsors get bitchy, they threaten to pull out.

Given almost every company these days are solely there to turn a profit, guess what they choose.

Yeah but with TV we virtually all have ways to watch it without ads, either with a DVR or like Hulu. You could do this with sports, but most people don't like time-shifting live sports, and you still miss some of the action.

Goes back to what I was saying in the IndyCar thread about giving me a way to pay for it and watch it commercial free on whatever device I want, but that means these companies accepting that the wild amounts of money they used to make isn't coming back. It's about them accepting a little long-term pain (in the form of less TV rights money) in exchange for building/rebuilding an audience.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

he did that hook and go up the hill, man

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I moderate a large NASCAR group on Facebook and

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

That exhaust diameter can't possibly be legal!

It's no bigger than a womp rat.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This owns but where the heck is Dale?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Why can't they just move Sears Point or the Glen into the Chase?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

DW sort of Hints at it, but it's the corporate interests that are destroying NASCAR. Sponsors that demand milktoast drivers just destroy any rivalries. The people in charge care more about their stockholders than they do about racing.

Meanwhile, I have yet to sit though an entire race this season (unless I fall asleep) because clean air is king.

I can't blame them. NASCAR struggles to find a middle ground between "no personality" and "violent, childish piece of poo poo." You've got Dale Jr, and

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I actually like the new crop of rookies like Chase, Ryan Blaney, and especially Larson.

I like those guys too but they're way too new to support NASCAR's marketing. Especially when they still have to go through enormous douchnozzles like Kyle and Kenseth to win races.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

I love it that in the article DW owned you before you even made this post.

Playing the villain is entirely different than being genuinely such a piece of poo poo that you're like wrecking people on pit road after the race. Next time Kyle cries and wrecks somebody I sincerely hope it backfires and injures him badly enough to end his career but otherwise have a normal life.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

so he's right in wishing a career ending injury on a driver, ok

I guess I just don't find it super endearing to wreck people postrace on pit road while folks are just walking around. It'd be a measurably safer sport without his involvement, regardless of the potentially hyperbolic way he leaves.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I hope Kyle Busch dies.

WOW

I am simply appalled, sir. I cannot believe I am reading such hateful words. Online, of all places!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

after that awful dab, are you gonna stand by this

As opposed to all those good dabs

• Locked thread