Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, so. Mod post inbound. You didn't gently caress up, so this isn't anything bad.

But I need your help. I'm going to be running a competition on the 28th regarding all three races, and I need a description of the Coke 600 (such as history, why it's important, etc) for the eventual thread OP. Best submission one will get featured in it (and perhaps some bonus points for it)! PM me, or if you don't have plat, quote this post with your submission. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

People in the stands :eyepop:

Are there more people than empty spots?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

I mean I'm probably the biggest Smokey Yunick fan in this thread so whipping out the ole "well what about that rules loophole car that cost a bajillion dollars?" line might not be the strategy to go with.

There are three things in racing that you absolutely do not gently caress with, and that's the engine, tires and fuel. If found loving with those rules, intentionally or not, the wrath of god will come down on you. That's not a NASCAR exclusive and it's as old as racing itself.

That's the reason why for LeMons and Chump Car they specifically exclude tires, wheels, brakes, and the fuel system from the 500 dollar limits. The engine is not, but that's also part of the appeal of those series.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dentist toy box posted:

Reminder that only injecting one marajuana is enough to make you jump in front of a sprint car.

Strong post avatar combo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Whose car got the saw?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

BUT WHAT IF HE CAN'T?!?

Then whoever has power of attorney can.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm hearing rumors that Carl Long is in talks with Ortho.

Namely for a "Weed-B-Gone" sponsorship.

https://www.facebook.com/carllongmotorsports/posts/1483698651651783

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/mattdracing/status/865163453044068352

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, what's this?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820944

Competition thread up. I'll get the race info edited in tomorrow, but I wanted to get it up before indy qualifying.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Almirola is probably going to be out for a couple of months at least: http://jeffgluck.com/aric-almirola-crash-injury-prognosis-richard-petty-motorsports/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh bowyer

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Give RA a cup date already

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/867175336362074112

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dear NASCAR,

We asked for road course in the Chase, Playoffs, or whatever the gently caress you're calling it for a while now.

WHY NOT ROAD AMERICA?

WHY NOT SEBRING?

Oh right, money. Because you can't be assed to race on a track you don't own.

loving cheapskates.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

NASCAR owns Sebring basically

Then why don't they race there? Because it's too long, too bumpy, and too twisty?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, they should have done the IMS road course. It's probably one of the few rovals that makes minimal use of the oval and still is decently long.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, WHY ARE THEY EVEN CONSIDERING TURNING INDY INTO A PLATE TRACK :allbuttons:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's not wrong.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's not like Daytona's is much better. As randomly placed as the bus stop is, it does break up the back stretch a bit.

Though it does have the nice advantage of allowing makers to test their engines at full throttle for extended periods of times in an endurance setting, so I can't hate it too much because of that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I like the Fontana roval. It at least isn't "Oh, let's take nearly the entire oval, and make them do a small detour for a bit, and then have them come out right by where they came in!"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, and this is bias, IMS has the best one.

Then again, they actually designed it with high speed F1 cars in mind, then modified it a bit for motorcycles, and now once again for indy cars. It makes use of the front stretch, a little of the short chute between 1 and 2, and that's it for the regular course.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I understand the logic behind having the race in Vegas so you don't need to travel for the awards banquet the next day, but ehhhhh...

Pruning the races is a good idea. Get rid of repeats first, then use the bidding process to determine who gets a repeat.

And I've grown to like stages. The format needs tweaking, but it does do something that NASCAR needed to do: make the middle of races worth something and worth watching.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Let's have him and sage race against each other

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Slickdrac posted:

iRacing did NASCAR on the oval, no plates. Handling had all the guidance of an RPG. It was a blast.

I see what you did there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

devmd01 posted:

I just accidentally completely threw shade at Austin Cindric. To his face.

Do explain :allears:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Here's a few things NASCAR needs to do, if you ask me.

0. Nuke the loving chase or whatever you're calling it.
1. NUKE. THE. CHASE.
2. End Buschwacking for real. You're strangling your upcoming talent in the crib. Making it so that you can only get points in one series was a good idea, but go a step further: make it so you can only participate in one race in a weekend (with a few exceptions, such as Eldora and the Daytona 500).
3. Reduce repeat tracks and open it up to "new" tracks. If you have open slots left over, then open it up to repeats.
4. Did I say to nuke the chase? Nuke the chase.
5. Keep stages, but refigure the points for them. Have the first two stages be a quarter of the advertised length, and the last one half of it.
6. In case of a tie, look at wins. First two stage wins count as 1 "win", overall winner is 2. If wins are tied? 2nd place finishes. Same deal.
7. END THE CHASE
8. Use Xfinity as a "test bed". Both MLB and NHL use their top minor leagues as a means to test out new rules (to be fair, they are with the race at Indy). Take a cue from them.
9. Move your classic races back to their traditional dates.
10. Allow drivers to have a personality.
11. GET RID OF THE drat CHASE:tizzy:

Though a lot of this is broken record.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

The biggest thing NASCAR can do in this regard is to reduce the number of races in the schedule. But NASCAR will never do this, because of all that TV money. As a result, more and more teams will struggle to find enough sponsorship to run the full Cup season, and you might get a situation where car counts go down even further.

The NBA is in a similar situation, where there are 20 or 30 games that could be easily cut from the regular schedule. Less wear and tear on players and teams and would make each regular season game more important and valuable, but the NBA gets too much money from all of those pointless games in the second half of the season.

But hey, as long as the executives get more money, who cares about the overall health of the product?

This is another problem NASCAR really, really needs to figure out: if you can't get people to the track, why would they watch on TV?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Tomorrow is going to be a loving shitshow.

Just tomorrow?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

I mean when it starts

15 more minutes or so.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

Well this got immediately entertaining

I'm getting food, what happened?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, they should ask JPM to make sure the track is dry.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wisconsin's racing scene is also very healthy too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gret posted:

Yes there's been more than a Trickle of good drivers out of Wisconsin.

:dadjoke:

(Rip Dick :smith:)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Has anyone checked to see if the golden horseshoe up Jimmie's rear end is a tumor or no?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Orchestrated Mess posted:

I'll tell you what

Holy poo poo that is some epic levels of salt.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

He's a good driver yes.

He's also a monstrous man baby

So, who's a good driver but a bigger manbaby: Kyle Busch or Lewis Hamilton?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Threadtitle.txt:

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-considering-additional-stages-for-2018-912658/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If it's that intense, he's probably blackballed.

Also, incoming take: the VHT is probably one of NASCAR's more... I don't know, better ideas? as of late, anyway. More racing lines is good, and if no one uses it and uses the traditional lines, it's really no harm no foul if you ask me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

Think we'll see her in IMSA or will she just retire?

I think she'd do alright in IMSA.

I think she'll do imsa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if she runs to the end of her current contract, then hangs it up for NASCAR and does IMSA or similar, maybe Daytona once a year to scratch that itch.

• Locked thread